Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

16 year old dog Max;not a good day.

• 04-02-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi! We have a 16 year old dog called Max. He is probably the cutest, most lovable and affectionate dog we have ever had. He is a mongrel;cross between a black labrador & springer spaniel. He has gotten really old recently;his eyesight and hearing are very poor,he has very bad arthritis in his back and legs. His heart is okay, but his kidneys and liver are poor. A month ago a large lump/tumor grew on his underside. This has gotten really large;about the size of a very large orange/small melon. He licks it, so it has started to leak and bleed. We took Max to the vet, who said he is too old to operate on. The vet gave him injections for his arthritis, and aclming tablets. He cannot really walk well now and flops down on his side. It is really sad.
    My Mum is really upset.
    Think we have to call the vet and get him put down today.I have been great pals with Max over the years so my Mum asked me to call over and dig a hole in our back garden.
    Really not looking forward to it. But I think it is not fair on Max to keep him alive, as he has no quality of life at all.

Would love to get another dog in the future but my Mum's not too sure..

Thanks for reading,

Arequipa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

so sorry to hear about Max, but i think you are making the right decision. He has had a great life with your family and you can be proud that you have done so. i have had to make this decision twice and its not easy. I think at this stage of his life the kindest thing for him is to be pts. Will be thinking of you all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a horrible thing to have to do, but you always know when it's the right thing to do. Remember the good times, remember the comfort and love he gave you and remember he felt that love in return.

Give him a cuddle and make sure you're with him till the end, comforting him and showing him love.

It's the cruelest part of the pet ownership knowing that your best friend won't be there for the rest of your life, but you know you wouldn't undo the previous 16 years just to avoid the pain.

Don't try to play it down, you're losing a member of your family. Allow yourself to grieve and give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

((((((( hug )))))))

Sometimes words don't help, but I'm so sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm truly sorry and I'll be thinking of max, and your family, today.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

If it should be....
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
    and pain should keep me from my sleep,
    then you must do what must be done,
    for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
    but don't let grief then stay your hand,
    for this day, more than the rest,
    your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
    what is to come can hold no fears.
    Would you want me to suffer? So,
    when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    only stay with me until the end,
    and hold me firm and speak to me,
    until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,
    although my tail it's last has waved,
    from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,
    who must decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close, we two these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

this really moved me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

such a tough thing to do...thinking of you all xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I'm a big bloke and haven't led a sheltered life but a few years ago when I held my 14 year old Doberman as the vet put her down I cried like a little kid. She had cancer and tumours and was in a really bad way. I dug her grave myself and I still get a lump in my throat when I see a doberman.

My heart goes out to you- it's an awful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Sorry for your loss. It never ceases to amaze me the importance of a dog in a familys life :(

He had a good run. Understandably your mum will be upset but maybe in time she might get a new dog. But only when she is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

My heart is breaking for you. I have been there too:( I am reading this on my way to bed so I just cannot read that poem as I will be sobbing for hours if I do.
    We are all sending out our strenght and love to you at this time to get you and your Mum through this.
    You are doing the right thing. It took me a very, very long time to realise that in my case. But I know now and I know you are doing it too.
    Rest easy little Max. X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Sorry to hear :(

Sounds like you were a good friend to Max, and him to you

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

i could barely read that, eyes are full of tears, it's heartbreaking but remember what a happy life he has enjoyed with you all and you him

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

teslab thanks for the poem i lost my 15 year old terrier 2 weeks ago today i am in bits there is a hole in my world and i just feel dead myself. i read the poem and its very true all the words i am so sorry for anyone losing their dog through accident or illness,its the lonliest place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hey! Thank you very much for your replies; I appreciate it. Myself & my brother brought Max to the vets today. He was an amazing dog: he wagged his tail jumping into my car. When the vet looked into the car he barked like mad; fair play to him! I brought him into the surgery; had to push & lift him; he never liked going there! I left the room & 1 minute later the job was done; the vet gave him an overdose of anesthetic ; put him to sleep & stopped his heart. I brought him back in the car & buried him in my Mums back garden. Feel a bit down now but okay. I will really miss him. Whenever I called over to my Mums, he would start eating his dinner,drinking water & would rush over & bury his head under my arms; I found I was always very calm & happy around Max!

Think I'll defo get a dog in the future; maybe when I'm more settled.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

R.I.P Max

Advertisement