Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetherspoons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Intifada wrote: »
    No worries. Maybe you've had one too many Wizard's Kneecaps.

Ha ha. I googled "obscure beer names" to try and conjure up a witty reply. However the beer that suited my post best was called " Arrogant Bastard".

Just to clarify, I'm not actually into craft beers. I'm most looking forward to cheaper pints and a lack of Guinness/Heineken wouldn't put me off. London Pride is about as "crafty" I get really.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

I'm mainly interested in whether they'll be soulless scum magnets like their UK counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think maybe my post was taken up wrong. I don't look down on any for their choice of beer, except maybe Budweiser :P, but I do feel that people should try a less well known drink, particularly Irish ones, as sometimes you might be surprised that you'll find a really good drink. I can't stand anyone who absolutely forces craft beer on others, and even though I said previously I consider Guinness to be my back up beer there are sometimes that nothing else but a point of it will do. Personally I put London Pride in as a craft beer, wether it's right or not, and it's one of my faves.

Anyway back on topic of Wetherspoons I know some people don't like them but I personally wouldn't mind seeing them open 1 pub in Galway, no more than that though :). It's always good to have more options and jobs in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Geuze wrote: »
    I'm surprised.

I'd have thought that GBB were doing well.

The Salthouse seems a popular success.

Galway is an affluent city, with knowledgeable consumer who would drink the types of beer sold by GBB.

Now, why would GBB allow a competitor have their site?

I heard that the building owner (NAMA? I think so) had to pay the GBB crowd a big chunk of change to break their 30 year lease on that building. So they probably did OK out of it and I think business was not performing as well as they wanted in the Cottage except at the weekends.

Intifada wrote: »
    I'm mainly interested in whether they'll be soulless scum magnets like their UK counterparts.

They're not all bad there, some decent inner city ones. Some are dodgy though. There are thousands of JDW premises in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

LOL. I've been following two other threads since JDW came to Ireland and it feels like Groundhog Day. It will level out in a while.
    I'm looking forward to their arrival if only for the reason it will make some of the distributors and pubs who are really taking the piss reduce their margins to a reasonable level. Even my local now is charging €6.50 for a half pint of an 'ok' ale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I hope its in Eyre Square, a few publicans there want a right kicking down to earth.
    The pucan would of been a great place for them but there a year too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

This chains marketing company are genius, really pulling the wool over the padies.

Anyone frequent this chain in the UK? They really are not that cheap unless they are doing deals such as xx on a Tuesday. Pints of Heineken / Guinness are £3.20 convert that to euros!

Once they have exhausted all this free advertising the prices will be raised to typical Irish prices

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    This chains marketing company are genius, really pulling the wool over the padies.

Anyone frequent this chain in the UK? They really are not that cheap unless they are doing deals such as xx on a Tuesday. Pints of Heineken / Guinness are £3.20 convert that to euros!

Once they have exhausted all this free advertising the prices will be raised to typical Irish prices

Yes. £2.09 for a pint of Heineken. House beer starts at £1.60. Which one was priced at £3.20?

Osborne wrote: »
    Yes. £2.09 for a pint of Heineken. House beer starts at £1.60. Which one was priced at £3.20?

Picture of their menu attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They have Irish menus. Pretty cheap are they not?

Menus can be accessed here on the left.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie

Didn't realise they were that cheap. No harm shaking up some of the rip off merchants in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

rarnes1 wrote: »
    They have Irish menus. Pretty cheap are they not?

Menus can be accessed here on the left.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie

Didn't realise they were that cheap. No harm shaking up some of the rip off merchants in Ireland

I've heard they are willing to operate at a loss at first. They're happy to go in somewhere new and wait until they've hoovered up the custom from their competition to be in profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've heard they are willing to operate at a loss at first. They're happy to go in somewhere new and wait until they've hoovered up the custom from their competition to be in profit.

Where did you hear?

Post some links

Picture of their menu attached.

Steep alright. Was that in Central London? The ones I would frequent would be in town in Northern England and wouldn't be in the best locations. Grand with a few lads on a session but certainly wouldn't be taking the other half.

Seriously cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

I heard that the building owner (NAMA? I think so) had to pay the GBB crowd a big chunk of change to break their 30 year lease on that building. So they probably did OK out of it and I think business was not performing as well as they wanted in the Cottage except at the weekends.

Building owner is not in NAMA. GBB did not have a 30 year lease. Nothing was paid to break the lease. They just gave their notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

Are we just another GenericMainStreet Town? Topshop, River Island,Costa and now Wetherspoons?

Moon pubs.

RIP Galway's soul.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Building owner is not in NAMA. GBB did not have a 30 year lease. Nothing was paid to break the lease. They just gave their notice.

I just heard a rumour. I don't really know what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Are we just another GenericMainStreet Town? Topshop, River Island,Costa and now Wetherspoons?

Moon pubs.

RIP Galway's soul.

I agree on the one hand - too many chain shops / restaurants will make Galway exactly the same as most other towns. But I do welcome the competition that they will bring.

My hope is that local (unique) pubs will reduce their markup to make themselves more competitive. It would be great if Wetherspoons weren't the only show in town when it comes to reasonably priced drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Wetherspoons are not nice places to drink in. If they put the prices up to the same as the real pubs, people will simply leave and drink in the real pubs.

The UK menu posted earlier has a Guinness at £3.19. You can expect to pay around £4 for a pint in London.

Moon pubs.

RIP Galway's soul.
    In fairness it's just a Spoons. Can't see JDW opening a second one here, and certainly don't see O'Neills taking off in Ireland! Costa Coffee, while an eyesore for Quay St, hasn't torn apart every other coffee shop here.

• Advertisement

My menu is from Liverpool so not a mega expensive City (same menu all over the city and these prices are the going rate for the area, ie other than their ltd exclusive offers they are not materially cheaper than competitors)

Like all launch business they have a strategy with a large launch budget via marketing and lower margins than they usually have.

Once they get established they will be like tesco and treat Ireland as 'treasure Ireland' same prices as competitors and running their business from their uk headquarters

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Once they get established they will be like tesco and treat Ireland as 'treasure Ireland' same prices as competitors and running their business from their uk headquarters
    So we'll have to wait for JD Werchterspün GMbH to arrive then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

My menu is from Liverpool so not a mega expensive City (same menu all over the city and these prices are the going rate for the area, ie other than their ltd exclusive offers they are not materially cheaper than competitors)

That's expensive for Liverpool all right. Stella, Fosters & Carling should all be much cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR wrote: »
    My hope is that local (unique) pubs will reduce their markup to make themselves more competitive. It would be great if Wetherspoons weren't the only show in town when it comes to reasonably priced drink.

TBH you can tell which ones are leased and which ones are operated by (or on behalf of) the owners of the buildings by looking at the price list. The ones with the leases are the expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I live on the outskirts of London so see Wetherspoons both in London and just outside it. The prices vary, they are not uniform across the chain but they do seem to be the cheapest in any area. Boring pubs, edible food, clean, cheap. By boring I mean that you would not want to stay in one for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Joe 90 wrote: »
    I live on the outskirts of London so see Wetherspoons both in London and just outside it. The prices vary, they are not uniform across the chain but they do seem to be the cheapest in any area. Boring pubs, edible food, clean, cheap. By boring I mean that you would not want to stay in one for the night.

Exactly, they are somewhere people will go for a couple of cheaper drinks, try something different e.g. their craft offering like Sixpoints and the others. They will be a breath of fresh air pricewise compared to run of the mill pubs in this town charging over €5 for the likes of Heineken, Bud etc. May also make the craft pubs lower theirs a little too, wont hold much hope for that though a they have that market cornered.

b.gud wrote: »
    I know they're not to everyones taste, particularly IPAs, but there are some very good craft beers available at the minute. You can get so much more flavour in your beers when you don't have to produce the same quantity that Diageo do.

I personally view Guinness as a fall back drink, i.e. if there are no good craft beers in a bar I'll have a Guinness.

I generally avoid drinking in places that don't serve the main brands, Guinness or Smithwicks in particular and would only drink a craft beer if there is no option of one of the main brands I like. The one exception is porterhouse plain which I quite like also, still prefer good Guinness or Smithwicks though.

From my experience of Wetherspoons they are soulless places and I'd rather pay more and drink in a different pub, though if their prices push down prices in other places then that's a bonus once it doesn't force anyone out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've a friend that can't wait. She claims the best burger she ever had was in a Wetherspoons (expects foodies to jump on this post)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    I've a friend that can't wait. She claims the best burger she ever had was in a Wetherspoons (expects foodies to jump on this post)
    Has she only ever eaten one burger?

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Has she only ever eaten one burger?

That escalated quickly :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement