Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salthill or St.Michaels Gaa

• 07-11-2014 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey boardies,

I'm looking for information on what club to sign my daughter up with. I would really like her to play camogie as I did when I was younger.

I'm currently just after moving into Cnoc an Oir, my neighbors were telling me to try and join salthill as they are building a new facility just up the road from the estate is this true ?

Cheers
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

They are planning on building a facility . I'm sure it's somewhere on www.skgaa.ie website.

That said, it's a great club. My son joined this year.

AFAIK, the camogie is indoors for the winter in Arus Bothar na Tra. It's a great facility for what is a well run club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Hi OP - Your nearest local camoige club is Salthill Camoige Club. The contact details are here: http://www.skgaa.ie/index.php/contacts

I wouldn't be too worried about any new facilities. While there were hopes of building something there is a lot of speculation because of the proposed Bypass. If you want your daughter playing Camoige get down to Salthill. If you played before you might get involved. I wouldn't be taking comments from boards.ie on any plans for new facilities. Theses Facilities were discussed on another forum recently and it was hard to know what was true and what wasn't. A lot of people can post false comments hiding behind a username. You will get more information about these proposed Facilities from the club.

If your daughter wants to play Ladies Football she should join St. Michael's just down the road from you. They have a great setup for girls.

She can be a member of both clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pottymouth

There has been a lot of controversy lately in Salthill/Knocknacrra GAA. Apparently a new committee member was appointed to verse the juvenile football. Under 6 up to U16. His first move was to fire all coaches and replace them with friends and acquaintances. This has gone down like a lead balloon with the parents of the kids. Some very popular team managers with many years spent caring for the kids were suddenly told they were surplus to requirements.
    This has led to much bad feeling amongst club membership and an open conflict regarding the appointment of one manager in particular whom the parents will not agree should be allowed be in charge of their kids. This is becoming increasingly bitter and looks set to encompass the whole community before long.
    the move is also very controversial and is the cause of some dissent.
    This shambles concerns the football community though so the camoige section seem to be OK.
    My nephews play for the club and seem fairly happy but I would tread carefully as some adults seem to be using the kids section allegedly for their own ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Pottymouth wrote: »
    There has been a lot of controversy lately in Salthill/Knocknacrra GAA. Apparently a new committee member was appointed to verse the juvenile football. Under 6 up to U16. His first move was to fire all coaches and replace them with friends and acquaintances. This has gone down like a lead balloon with the parents of the kids. Some very popular team managers with many years spent caring for the kids were suddenly told they were surplus to requirements.
    This has led to much bad feeling amongst club membership and an open conflict regarding the appointment of one manager in particular whom the parents will not agree should be allowed be in charge of their kids. This is becoming increasingly bitter and looks set to encompass the whole community before long.
    the move is also very controversial and is the cause of some dissent.
    This shambles concerns the football community though so the camoige section seem to be OK.
    My nephews play for the club and seem fairly happy but I would tread carefully as some adults seem to be using the kids section allegedly for their own ends.

This just in: In-fighting in a GAA club!!

Poisonous conflict amid the committee members is nothing new at SKGAA. It will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Salthill seem like a great club for underage.

• Advertisement

It certainly was a great club at one time. Now I am not so sure.

I think that is what is at issue now. The fact that all the people that were volunteering who were the very people that made it great were just fired on a whim has caused a lot of anger. They are volunteers after all. My sister has two kids involved and she is incensed. She tells me that most parents feel the same way and will not send their kids down until these decisions are reversed. It appears one training session was boycotted last Sunday,

It is a pity. Kids deserve better. Adults behaving like spoiled kids and the real kids suffer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I never hear about this juicy gossip. Tell us more!

No more to tell. At least that is as much as I know. I am sure people involved with the club underage could give details of what exactly is happening. Bottom line is as I understand it parents are unhappy and feeling is deepening all the time because nobody wants to listen to their concerns.

It is a pity. Kids deserve better. Adults behaving like spoiled kids and the real kids suffer.

Perhaps if you have an issue you can take it up with the club members in question instead of gossiping about it on an anonymous but public internet forum - that itself strikes me as quite childish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep this thread on recommended clubs and not let it be a place to drag up internal club feuds.

• Advertisement

You appear to be touchy about the subject. Makes me wonder why.

The 'gossip' as you put it is in answer to the original post asking the legitimate question as to which club would be better for a young girl.

I am giving my opinion based not on 'gossip' but on what I know to be factually true.

The fact is there is a problem between the parents and the club committee.

It is being addressed with the club members/committee as you put it but many members feel they are not being heard. Fact.

It is a growing and divisive problem in the community. Fact.

So you may feel like insulting me but I am answering a question posed with facts. That is what this public internet forum is for.

I would remind you that you also enjoy anonymity here.

You appear to be touchy about the subject. Makes me wonder why.

The 'gossip' as you put it is in answer to the original post asking the legitimate question as to which club would be better for a young girl.

I am giving my opinion based not on 'gossip' but on what I know to be factually true.

The fact is there is a problem between the parents and the club committee.

It is being addressed with the club members/committee as you put it but many members feel they are not being heard. Fact.

It is a growing and divisive problem in the community. Fact.

So you may feel like insulting me but I am answering a question posed with facts. That is what this public internet forum is for.

I would remind you that you also enjoy anonymity here.

For my part, what I suggested (and I'm sure the mods would agree with me) was that if you have a problem with a public organisation or club, then make a public complaint instead of using an anonymous internet forum to spread innuendo.

p.s. I have no particular affinity with this club, at least not since the late 80s.

Your assertion that I have a problem with the club is untrue. A question was posed. I gave an answer based on the factual information I have to hand. I have no involvement with the club myself since about your era and have been away on and off ever since.

However (And I am sure the mods will agree with me) you appear determined to in some way imply that I have a problem as you put it with the club.

You may not like my input. That is your prerogative. Just as it is mine to answer a question whereby a parent wants to judge where best to send their child. The fact that there is unhappiness amongst a large group of parents within this club is to me relevant, pertinent and important information to someone who is trying to decide where best to send their child.

It is not spreading innuendo as you put it. It is fact. By alleging I am spreading innuendo suggests to me that you are simply trying to discredit my input. There can only be one reason. Therefore I doubt your bond fides when you state you have no affinity with this club. Your early posts on this thread suggest you protest too much.

Either way I have given my input in good faith and see no point in us hijacking the thread. You have your view on the matter. I have mine. Best to leave it there as a continued disagreement will serve neither club mentioned well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

(and I'm sure the mods would agree with me)
    (And I am sure the mods will agree with me)

For what it's worth, I never agree with anyone... I'm a wonderful dinner guest as you can imagine. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GAAdafi

Massive article in the Galway City Tribune today, page 4, about the issues in the Salthill club.

It also includes pictures of the clubs chairman Peter O'Halloran and juvenile director Norman Costello - both are named in the article.

It also notes that the planning permission for Salthills new pitches, which are due to be located in Mincloon, Rahoon ( at the back of where Peter O'Halloran kitchens used to be) has been denied as it is located in an area that the new city bypass is due to go through !

Seems like not much tought was put into the choice of land by those in charge of Salthill GAA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

New posters, do not attempt to link a user here with the identity of someone in real life. The next person to do it will have their posting privileges revoked, this will be the only warning given on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hawthorn105

New posters, do not attempt to link a user here with the identity of someone in real life. The next person to do it will have their posting privileges revoked, this will be the only warning given on the matter.

My deepest apologies 'Pottymouth'. Your identity will remain a mystery to all.

My deepest apologies 'Pottymouth'. Your identity will remain a mystery to all.

Not to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am sorry OP this thread turned out the way it did. Instead of recommendations you got real life arguments spilling into it and ruining it.

Thread closed, take your petty quarrels somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement