Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway car mechanic needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The Tyre Centre in Liosban. Cheap, fast and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Amhran Nua just mentioned Mileage tyres there.
    You can also use Galway Car Service across from the NCT place (mind they never finish the job on time, if they say 30 mins expect 1 hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What's that Galway Service centre like for a car service?

Pricey?

I do my own service but there is some prices on the front page
    http://www.galwaycarservicecentre.ie/

If you like I could teach you how to service your car, for a mere sixpack :D
    Of course I can't stamp your service book...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I have a 2001 renault Clio! Thanks.

• Advertisement

About the timing belt, I merged your question with the big "mechanic" thread.
    Have a read, it mentions plenty of good grease monkeys.
    Get at least three different quotes (belt and pump, pulleys and labour).

Ok ta, I have contacted 3 so far. All different. Lowest is the guy in Woodquay. Might try the guy in Nuns Island in the morn.

Kilduff, good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Anyone recommend anywhere? I'm around west side of the city but have to go accross to Briarhill tomorrow so somewhere out there would be fine too.

Cheers :)

Went to Galway Tyre Centre in Liosban for convenience. They didn't patch the inside but instead put some sort of a putty in the puncture (there was a big screw in there)

Never seen it done that way before but i'll give it a few days and see if it lasts.

Cost €10 so not bad if it holds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, just wondering if anyone in Galway has the VAG COM? I need to get the rear brake pads changed on my 07 Passat and the garage cant do them. They said it needs a main dealer. Really dont want to have to fork out a fortune to Western Motors.

• Advertisement

Folks, just wondering if anyone in Galway has the VAG COM? I need to get the rear brake pads changed on my 07 Passat and the garage cant do them. They said it needs a main dealer. Really dont want to have to fork out a fortune to Western Motors.

Is your brake light on? (i.e. brake pad sensor worn)

Is your brake light on? (i.e. brake pad sensor worn)

Hi John,

No light on but I did have it in to Western Motors and they said theyre worn. I noticed a noise also when I press the brakes coming from the back of the car.

Hi John,

No light on but I did have it in to Western Motors and they said theyre worn. I noticed a noise also when I press the brakes coming from the back of the car.

Don't see why you need to go to a main dealer then?

Don't see why you need to go to a main dealer then?

Brought it to Mileage Tyres and was told that it has to be hooked up to a VAG COM as the software pulls the callipers back allowing them to change the pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I can't find anything on boards so here it goes. I am looking to get my car serviced in Galway City. Can anyone recommend someone that is honest and gives a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

I get mine serviced by the guy on Nun's Island opposite the bish.

Never have any problems with my car between services so that's good value imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Use the search button and narrow it to galway city.
    big long thread on the topic

Merged into the big local mechanics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone got any recommendations for a mechanic who would be well used to working with Automatic transmissions and the electrics side of things rather than just the mechanical?
    east of the city would be really handy but at this stage im not going to be too fussy...just want my car fixed! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hey folks,
    My regular place to get my car tyres repaired, Renmore Motors, has doubled its price for repairs, so I'm looking for somewhere else.
    Anyone know of somewhere in town that does cheap puncture repairs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Twice in the past Kieran Farrell Tyres (Ballybane Industrial Estate) have repaired punctures for me for free. They basically told me when it comes to replacing my tyres give them the business...which I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shades

Hey

Im looking for a mechanic to take a look at an engine light issue , read the code , figure out whats wrong and perhaps fix it if possible. I am in the Rosscam area.

Cheers

What light? What model car? Year etc? Some guys in the Motor forum have readers.
    Galwaycarservice is in Doughiska so close to Roscam.
    Fahy's Garage in Oranmore are very good but more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamfoneill

Hi Guys. I have 2001 renault laguna II 1.6 petrol which wouldn't start the other day so I got my neighbour to give me a jump. Now when I try and start the car absolutely nothing happens (no noise from the starter motor). For a while there was a clicking noise from the fusebox (even with the key out of the ignition). This noise has now stopped.

The car is just sitting outside my house like a 2 tonne paperweight at the moment :) does anyone know of a mechanic/auto electrician who can come out and have a look at this for me? I think the car may need to be hooked up to diagnostics. I live in Rahoon.

Before getting someone out - try to swap your battery with someone and see.
    A five minute job that will save you money if it turns out a new battery was all you needed :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYvAhVZVrOQ

Btw, if you search this thread for "mobile" a few suggestions will come up. But try a friend's battery first.

Hi Guys. I have 2001 renault laguna II 1.6 petrol which wouldn't start the other day so I got my neighbour to give me a jump. Now when I try and start the car absolutely nothing happens (no noise from the starter motor). For a while there was a clicking noise from the fusebox (even with the key out of the ignition). This noise has now stopped.

The car is just sitting outside my house like a 2 tonne paperweight at the moment :) does anyone know of a mechanic/auto electrician who can come out and have a look at this for me? I think the car may need to be hooked up to diagnostics. I live in Rahoon.

Sorry to hi-jack your post but I am in dire need of a hand from a kind mechanic. I started my engine over the last few weeks but didn't actually move the car (I am learning & had no-one to bring me out).. so the feicing car is literally stuck.. The handbrake was stuck.. it is down now but the wheels are stuck. I called the garage in Woodquay but they said they cannot do call outs as they are too busy. I can't really afford to pay too much.. Any suggestions?

Rocking the car back and forth (not sideways).
    Is it on level ground? If so leave in neutral and handbrake off, then try pushing it back and forth. This should free the ice or whatever is holding it.
    You can also try gently reversing car.
    When free take it for a 30 min spin. First drive slow and listen for any new noises (it's highly unlikely that something broke though, it's ice versus metal...)

Btw, there is no point is starting the car unless you're taking it for a 30 min spin (to get it nice and hot) so you can just let it sit there and take it out in the weekends.
    In winter don't leave it on handbrake, just in first gear (unless you're on a steep incline) as this will cause handbrake to stick if it gets too cold.
    If on a slanted driveway you can leave it in gear with some blocks behind the wheels for comfort.

On a similar note, did you ever try to push start a car? Alone it's very very hard work. That's how difficult it is for the car to move when in gear and engine off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Shades

biko wrote: »
    What light? What model car? Year etc? Some guys in the Motor forum have readers.
    Galwaycarservice is in Doughiska so close to Roscam.
    Fahy's Garage in Oranmore are very good but more expensive.

Yellow check engine light , 00 Golf 1.4 petrol.

Ive had the car in the Galwaycarservice before , i personaly dont find them to be very good , spent alot of money with them already , told me they will charge 45e just to read the code. Before this there was a few weeks where the oil pressure light would come on when the car was on low revs , that one day stoped coming on.

The car is driving fine , should i just keep driving it until i feel something is really wrong ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement