Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tracing a soldier in Royal Irish Rifles

• 24-12-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I wonder could someone be good enough to point me in the right direction?
    I'm trying to find information on a soldier called Robert Edward Thompson who was in the Royal Irish Rifles. I understand he was killed early in the First World War in France.

He was from Belfast originally and he was married to a Bridget Delaney from Dublin. His regiment had been stationed in India.

I'm afraid that's all I know about him but if someone could let me know where I could start looking for details I would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

possible match from Commonwealth War Graves Commission website - I'm not seeing any service record for him using his service number, so details may not have survived

Name : Robert Thompson
    Service No: 44869
    Date of Death: 21/03/1918
    Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles 15th Bn. formerly (2527), Royal Sussex Regiment
    Panel Reference: Panel 74 to 76.
    Memorial: Pozieres memorial

see : here

there's a second possibility a Robert Thompson also Royal Irish Rifles died 11 Mar 1915, Service no. 5295 - see here (cwgc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Thanks Shane. As I understand it, Robert Thompson was killed early in the war so I reckon the 1918 death may be a bit late.

There are a number of Robert Thompson deaths serving with the Royal Irish Rifles, including a few born Co. Antrim, and just one that specifically states Belfast, Service No. 5295. Only additional detail included (see below) on the Soldier Died in the Great War list is residence, and no sign of a service record that I can find for him...

Name: Robert Thompson
    Birth Place: Belfast
    Residence: Dublin
    Death Date: 11 Mar 1915
    Death Place: France and Flanders
    Enlistment Place: Belfast
    Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles
    Battalion: 1st Battalion
    Regimental Number: 5295
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Maybe a search for a marriage cert would be the next step...

Thanks again Shane. I'll visit the Gilbert Library in the New Year and have a look at the marriage records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Johnny, thanks for that. Given that it mentions Bridget there is a strong possibility that this is the will of the Robert Thompson I'm looking for.

a possible marriage for Robert and Bridget :

Name: Robert Thompson
    Quarter and Year : Oct-Nov-Dec 1904
    Registration district: Dublin South
    Volume: 2 / Page : 585

One of the cross-matching names is a Bridie Delaney

Shane/Johnny

Many thanks for these details, I really appreciate it.

Am I right in thinking that Robert Thompson would have a service record detailing his various postings, etc. ? If so, how would I get access to this?

• Advertisement

chughes wrote: »
    ...Am I right in thinking that Robert Thompson would have a service record detailing his various postings, etc. ? If so, how would I get access to this?

Unfortunately about 60% of the WW1 service records were lost during the Blitz, see some more information here

I had a quick search for your Robert yesterday based on name and service number, which usually works if there's surviving record, but didn't spot anything. There should be a medal card for him, but these have only very basic details.

Medal card shows he was awarded the 1914 Star with Clasp, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Landed France 6th Nov 1914. Tallies with the Long Long Trail note re 1st Battalion landing at Le Havre 6th Nov 1914.

If you have someone with an academic background, you might be able to get the following article re 1/RIR

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&type=summary&url=/journals/journal_of_military_history/v067/67.4perry.pdf

Having visited the GRO research office in Werburgh St. I found the wedding details of the Robert Thompson I was looking for. He married Bridget Delany on 24 October in 1904. I see that they got married in the Church of the Holy Trinity in Rathmines. Although Robert was a Protestant, Bridget was a Catholic and I thought it was unusual for a Catholic to get married in a Protestant church.

I also found the birth details of the first and fourth children in the GRO but found no trace of children number two and three. I know that the Royal Irish Rifles were based overseas and that they returned to the UK in October 1914 from Aden. As I understand it, the family went with the regiment so I'm presuming that child two and child three were born overseas.

How would one go about tracing the birth details of children born into military families overseas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Two points: you may find they also married in a RC church. One set of my g-grandparents was mixed and they married in 2 churches.

The GRO in Roscommon (which has no public reading room) has records of overseas births in the military. You can ask them to search it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Medal card shows he was awarded the 1914 Star with Clasp, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Landed France 6th Nov 1914. Tallies with the Long Long Trail note re 1st Battalion landing at Le Havre 6th Nov 1914.

If you have someone with an academic background, you might be able to get the following article re 1/RIR

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&type=summary&url=/journals/journal_of_military_history/v067/67.4perry.pdf
    Johnny, how were you able to see the medal card? I went onto the UK National Archives website and there appears to be a charge to view the details. Do you have a subscription to the website?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Johnny, how were you able to see the medal card? I went onto the UK National Archives website and there appears to be a charge to view the details. Do you have a subscription to the website?

I believe that he does, yes (Or a sub to a site that also allows access such as Ancestry).

apologies. A new job means I'm not online as much at the moment.

I use Ancestry. The National Archives website gives you a PDF with a number of medal index cards for several soldiers in one hit. Front of card only. Ancestry gives front and back of the card - unfortunately the back of the card doesn't always have information but sometimes has the address of the next of kin.

Ancestry also gives access to other WW1 resources and the 1901/1911 census for England, Wales, Scotland etc

I also found the birth details of the first and fourth children in the GRO but found no trace of children number two and three. I know that the Royal Irish Rifles were based overseas and that they returned to the UK in October 1914 from Aden. As I understand it, the family went with the regiment so I'm presuming that child two and child three were born overseas.

How would one go about tracing the birth details of children born into military families overseas?

2nd Battalion postings

1899 South Africa
    1903 Dublin
    1906 Aldershot
    1910 Dover
    1912 Tidworth
    1914 France & Flanders (from August)

1911 census for another Robert Thompson (3 single men of the name in Dover in 1911)

CIVIL PARISH: Dover Castle Dover
    COUNTY/ISLAND: Kent
    STREET ADDRESS: 2Nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, Citadel Barracks, Western Heights, Dover
    MARITAL STATUS: Single
    MILITARY UNIT: 2 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

Robert Thompson seemed to have moved between the 1st and 2nd Battalions. It looks like he was in the 1st Battalion when he was killed in March 1915.

Thanks for giving me the locations of the 2nd Battalion, can you tell me the locations of the 1st Battalion?

Thanks again.

1st Battalion postings

1881 South Africa
    1882 Guernsey
    1889 Mullingar
    1892 Fermoy
    1894 Newry
    1895 Aldershot
    1897 Natal
    1899 Dehra Dun
    1903 Fyzabad
    1906 Meerut
    1909 Burma
    1911 Kemptee
    1913 Aden
    1914 France & Flanders (from November)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ancesty now has a database UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 - some interesting information on soldiers killed in WW1, including date and place of death, and names of next of kin. The information on Robert Thompson is:
    Robert Thompson, 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, lance corporal 5295
    Died 11 Mar 1915 Neuve Chapelle,
    war gratuity £15-19-2 given to widow Bridget, sole legatee, 9 Oct 1915
    war gratuity £5-0-0 given to widow Mrs Bridget Carolan, sole legatee 23 Aug 1919
    I don't know if this means Bridget's maiden name was Carolan, or had she remarried?

Robert is buried in Le Touret - see details at
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1562999/THOMPSON,%20ROBERT
    and
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=15285606

Johnny, thanks for the postings of both battalions. Robert Thompson was married in 1904 to Bridget Delany so he must have been in the 2nd battalion at that stage as the battalion was based in Dublin then. At some stage he must have transferred to the 1st battalion as that was the one he was in when he was killed. Interestingly, when he married in 1904 he was a sergeant but when he was killed he was a lance corporal. It looks like he was demoted at some stage between 1904 and 1915.

KF, thanks also for your information. As I mentioned above, Bridget was originally Delany. She then became Thompson, and did remarry and became Carolan. I wasn't sure when she remarried but this helps to narrow down the date range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

This is great info and really helpful. I had never know where to look for this stuff but reading these threads really helps
    I have just started looking into some stuff and I have just found my Great Grandmothers brother (I think that makes him my great-great uncle!)
    He was a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and only 18 when he was killed in Gallipoli

Whats the best subscription to take to find out more info on such a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Military records are spread across a number of sites. The records are incomplete as many were destroyed in WW2, but a lot survived. You just have to be lucky.

Here's a website which gives some good information http://greatwarroadshow.ie/tracing-ww1-soldiers/

This is great info and really helpful. I had never know where to look for this stuff but reading these threads really helps
    I have just started looking into some stuff and I have just found my Great Grandmothers brother (I think that makes him my great-great uncle!)
    He was a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and only 18 when he was killed in Gallipoli

Start with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website to confirm rank, date and place of death, regiment. No cost for this

http://www.cwgc.org/

9 possibles but none listed as 18.

ANDREWS, WILLIAM Second Lieutenant 26/04/1915 32 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    STANTON, ROBERT Second Lieutenant 09/08/1915 29 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    MORTIMER, WILLIAM LIONEL GUERITZ Second Lieutenant 10/08/1915 20 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    McGARRY, WILLIAM FREDERICK CECIL Second Lieutenant 10/08/1915 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    O'CARROLL, FRANK BRENDAN Second Lieutenant 10/08/1915 20 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    WEATHERILL, EDWARD THEAKER Second Lieutenant 16/08/1915 28 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    CRICHTON, ALEXANDER GODFREY Second Lieutenant 16/08/1915 29 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    NESBITT, WILLIAM CHARLES Second Lieutenant 16/08/1915 40 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    HACKETT, HENRY ROBERT THEODORE Second Lieutenant 02/11/1915 19 Royal Dublin Fusiliers

The London Gazette should carry details of his commission. No cost for this

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Dublin archives in Pearse St will probably have a write up of him in the book Dublin Heroes (if I remember the name correctly).

After that. National archives at Kew probably have a file on him. That will cost.

Ancestry will have Medal Index Card and entries for Soldiers Died in the Great War and Ireland's Casualties. If 7th Battn RDF, possibly a mention in Henry Hanna's book re Pals at Suvla. If he went to a local school there may be a write up.

Pop his name on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Start with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website to confirm rank, date and place of death, regiment. No cost for this

http://www.cwgc.org/

9 possibles but none listed as 18.

ANDREWS, WILLIAM Second Lieutenant 26/04/1915 32 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    STANTON, ROBERT Second Lieutenant 09/08/1915 29 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    MORTIMER, WILLIAM LIONEL GUERITZ Second Lieutenant 10/08/1915 20 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    McGARRY, WILLIAM FREDERICK CECIL Second Lieutenant 10/08/1915 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    O'CARROLL, FRANK BRENDAN Second Lieutenant 10/08/1915 20 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    WEATHERILL, EDWARD THEAKER Second Lieutenant 16/08/1915 28 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    CRICHTON, ALEXANDER GODFREY Second Lieutenant 16/08/1915 29 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    NESBITT, WILLIAM CHARLES Second Lieutenant 16/08/1915 40 Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    HACKETT, HENRY ROBERT THEODORE Second Lieutenant 02/11/1915 19 Royal Dublin Fusiliers

The London Gazette should carry details of his commission. No cost for this

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Dublin archives in Pearse St will probably have a write up of him in the book Dublin Heroes (if I remember the name correctly).

After that. National archives at Kew probably have a file on him. That will cost.

Ancestry will have Medal Index Card and entries for Soldiers Died in the Great War and Ireland's Casualties. If 7th Battn RDF, possibly a mention in Henry Hanna's book re Pals at Suvla. If he went to a local school there may be a write up.

Pop his name on the forum.

Found him here.
    http://ourheroes.southdublinlibraries.ie/node/17022

His CWGC record entry show him as a Lieutenant. Buried in Greece

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/333329/JONES,%20SAMUEL%20VICTOR%20CHARLES

His service record is available via the UK National Archives at Kew

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1107249?descriptiontype=Full&ref=WO+339/53396

Soldiers died entry has him as a Lieutenant

Name: Samuel Victor Charles Jones
    Death Date: 23 Sep 1916
    Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers
    Battalion: Battalion Not Shown
    Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

He appears in the RDF Medal Rolls as Died of Wounds. He is listed immediately above Lt Tom Kettle.

Medal Index Card has him as a Lieutenant. Awarded British War Medal and Victory Medal. Entered Salonika area of operations on the 23rd March 1916 so looks like he missed Gallipoli.

Inscribed on the following war memorial

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials-Detail?memoId=816

I mentioned in an earlier post about Robert Thompson being demoted from sergeant to lance corporal. I was looking at the book The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War by James W Taylor and in the section under Field general courts martial on 9 December 1914 Sergeant Thompson was found guilty of drunkenness and his sentence was to be reduced in the ranks.

He had been a sergeant at least since he got married in 1904 and a few months after this sentence was carried out he was killed. I presume this had a financial repercussion for his widow as I'm guessing that the war gratuity paid to her was based on his rank at the time of death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

19 other Royal Dublin Fusiliers killed on that day so must have been a recorded battle I'd guess...

Advertisement