Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE still broadcasting analog??

• 04-04-2013 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I know I'm likely to be pilloried for asking the question here, but it does appear to be case at least when using two different TVs while at a friends house on the north side of Cork City.

For months I'd been badgering her to finally take her new HDTV out of box, which she did today, despite buying it way back in Janurary.

Her old CRT always struck me as odd in did that didn't appear to affected whatsoever by the much publized analog switch off in Oct last. No set top boxes involved or built-in receivers. Getting RTE 1, 2, TV3 etc with decent enough pic.

Anyway, set up the shiny new Panasonic Vierra and plugged in the arial coax cable. It scans. Finds a bunch of analogue channels. Slightly Rubbish picture quality, def analogue with the associated artefacts and noise of poor signal.

Also no DTV stations or radio channels detected. I don't know what to say?

The one factor I've not fully examined is the aerial on the roof, but how much of a difference should it make if she was getting a pretty good picture across the main channels whilst using the old CRT set?

Had analogue broadcast been fully decommissioned wouldnt there no channels whatsoever detected on her new TV?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Probably the chorus/ntl MMDS shes recieving, have it hear where i'm renting along with other channels in ****e quality

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭galwayguy85

Never thought of that. Don't know much about that particular service. Is it something you'd be expect to be a subscriber to receive it?

I doubt she pay for such things, this girl.

Is it her own house or rented. Landlord pays for it here for where I live in a house with three one bed roomed apartments. Just a normal aerial connection to the wall and all the channels come in with their own anaolue channel. You get Comedy Central, Sky one, MTV etc along with the irish stations. Quality is ****e though

Its her own house. Definitely no Comedy Channel etc was ever coming through. Just strictly the home Irish channels.

Using an indoor or outdoor aerial?

• Advertisement

Outdoor, roof.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

RTE still broadcasting analog??

Nope, just the usual drivel.

Is the aerial for the chorus/ntl service you mentioned the kind of square mesh type with the slIght bulge towards the centre?

Pretty certain that thats not the type she has.

Thanks all the same for replying at such at late hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the aerial for the chorus/ntl service you mentioned the kind of square mesh type with the slIght bulge towards the centre?

Pretty certain that thats not the type she has.

UPC MMDS aerial

Saorview channels require an aerial like this or this.
    Getting RTE 1, 2, TV3 etc with decent enough pic.

Anyway, set up the shiny new Panasonic Vierra and plugged in the arial coax cable. It scans. Finds a bunch of analogue channels. Slightly Rubbish picture quality, def analogue with the associated artefacts and noise of poor signal.

Also no DTV stations or radio channels detected. I don't know what to say?
    Is there a UPC cable connection into the house? Can you identify the channels' frequencies and/or the UHF/VHF channel nos.

Someone in the Cork area maybe able to confirm this, does the cable system in Cork continue to carry the 4 Irish channels only in analogue without subscription? Her TV connection maybe connected to the cable system and not the aerial on the roof, this might explain why she gets no Saorview channels on the TV.

joetoad wrote: »
    Probably the chorus/ntl MMDS shes recieving, have it hear where i'm renting along with other channels in ****e quality

Is there any active analogue MMDS service now, though it had shut down some years ago?

In any case it would require a STB and subscription and didn't carry RTÉ1/2 IIRC.

• Advertisement

I think I can say beyond nearly all reasonable doubt that it is not MMDS or cable that we are talking about here.

I don't think cable was ever roled out in Cork City anyway.

My folks used to have that Corus type aerial before they switched over to sky and I know it required the used of a set top box to actually use.

Again, my friend doesn't have any set top boxes. Just coax cable from roof straight into TV. Still picking up analogue transmissions. Will try to put up a photo later to prove that.

Weird.

I don't think cable was ever roled out in Cork City anyway.

My folks used to have that Corus type aerial before they switched over to sky and I know it required the used of a set top box to actually use.

Again, my friend doesn't have any set top boxes. Just coax cable from roof straight into TV. Still picking up analogue transmissions. Will try to put up a photo later to prove that.
    Cork City and other areas cabled by Cork Multichannel Television required an Jerrold (General Instrument)set top box for all channels. The entire Cork analogue cable network was encrypted from late 1980s onwards. The Cork network also carried more channels than other cable networks in Ireland at that time. When digital cable was launched in Cork, UPC Ireland rapidly swapped analogue set top boxes for digital boxes and then shutdown the analogue service entirely. The network still carries analogue terrestrial channels, RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 in some parts of the network. This means that Cork is the first city in Ireland with an exclusively digital cable network.

The cable connecting Cork to the Comeragh Mountains was 100 km (60 mi) in total: the longest cable TV route ever built in Europe. Casey Cablevision of Dungarvan, County Waterford held the Irish record previously, with a 25 km (16 mi) line connecting to the Comeragh Mountains headend. Cork Communications (Cork Multichannel TV) had initially built a head-end in the Knockmealdown mountains, but reception there was less than satisfactory and a deal was done after a few months in 1982 to use Casey Cablevision's headend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_in_Ireland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55756106

Can you post the frequencies/channel nos. of the channels received? The analogue channels she receives, if via the cable network, aren't encrypted and don't require a STB.

The RTÉNL network no longer transmits analogue TV.

Post a pic of the aerial on the roof, an aerial like this won't be suitable for the Saorview channels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Last time I checked, the 4 channels were still being carried in 4:3 on VHF. They were'nt sourced from analog UHF RTE in the city, and were independently sourced from digital feeds by Chorus. I'd imagine they're still there and it's probable that most of the UPC lads in the city don't even know they're running, they likely have very few viewers and isn't advertised (like the FM over cable service)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Terrestrial channels still being broadcasted on analogue over UPC cable in Cork.

RTE 1 - 176MHz
    TG4 - 192 MHz
    TV3 - 200 MHz
    RTE 2 - 216 MHz

marno21 wrote: »
    Last time I checked, the 4 channels were still being carried in 4:3 on VHF. They were'nt sourced from analog UHF RTE in the city, and were independently sourced from digital feeds by Chorus. I'd imagine they're still there and it's probable that most of the UPC lads in the city don't even know they're running, they likely have very few viewers and isn't advertised (like the FM over cable service)
    Apogee wrote: »
    Terrestrial channels still being broadcasted on analogue over UPC cable in Cork.

RTE 1 - 176MHz
    TG4 - 192 MHz
    TV3 - 200 MHz
    RTE 2 - 216 MHz

@galwayguy85
    I think the info posted by the lads above and your comment that the analogue switchoff in Oct had no effect on your friend's TV and the non-availability of the Saorview channels pretty much confirms that she is picking up the 4 analogue channel from the UPC cable sytem and not from the aerial on the roof.

If possible try to trace the cabling from the aerial into the house, it may have been disconnected from the house's internal cabling at some time in the past.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Or he could be living in a part of the city with poor UPC cabling and it's just leaking out. Which I would imagine is a lot of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

How long til UPC realise and switch off the channels...

Clock's ticking.. !

marclt wrote: »
    How long til UPC realise and switch off the channels...

Clock's ticking.. !

According to a UPC press release quoted here from 5 years ago they are aware of it and make the 4 analogue channels available FTA on their cable system in Cork. Someone posted the reason here on the forum previously.

Advertisement