Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time Fly fishing for trout - Need Help.

• 08-09-2011 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

So, I just put a deposit on a Fly rod and reel with a floating line. It's a 7 foot, Fast action, Weight 5 rod and I plan to go out near the end of the month to this very nice, quiet lake near the house up from Wicklow town which you need to get a day pass or be a member to fish. I know how to cast but that's basically it. I am just really an amateur to fishing and I'm pretty **** to be honest. Basically, I need all the Information you have on fly fishing, From start to finish, I tried looking it up on YouTube but there not any great tutorials. Some things I need to know are things such as 'Where exactly on the lake do I fish?' 'Why do you need to cast 3 times before making the final cast?' 'How long do I leave it until I reel in the line and cast again?' 'How do you reel in a fish when Fly-Fishing?' and things like that. I'm not new to fishing, Only Fly fishing and so I need a lot of help with this since I'm pretty **** at fishing itself Ha. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Corn Flake

HERp A ****IN' DERP Aka BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Your rod will be too short for the ashtown lake,you will want something at least 9' if not longer,great little lake though,some nice fish in it.

Really? I can always just ask to change the deposit to a a 9 footer. Are you sure? It's only 2 foot shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I don't think that rod sounds like a good choice for a beginner. 7' is too short for lake fishing (it would be ok for small rivers). I have a 9'6" #6/7 that I use for lake fishing. I also have a 9' #5/6 which is a good all-round rod. I'd suggest changing to a 9' #5 or #5/6.

Also I don't think a fast action rod is good for a beginner. A fast action rod is less forgiving if your casting is not up to scratch, and even though you say you can cast, if you're a beginner you probably can't cast very well (no offence, it just takes a lot of practice to get good at casting, I'm still not very good at it). For starting out I'd say a medium/mid-to-tip action is better while you're learning to cast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi Corn Flake

Decisions, decisions .....

For streams I use a 5', for rivers I use a 9' 6", and for stillwaters a 10' 6".
    So you can see that if you want to to do as much as possible, a 9 or 9' 6" is a medium length.
    Either #5 or #6 line would be ok, with the #6 having the edge on stillwater, and the #5 having the edge on shallow clear streams.

So a 9 or 9 1./2 with the #5 will cover many circumstances.
    If you anticipate cast into wind on open waters rather than calm in tree sheltered places, then go up to the #6. Otherwise the #5 is more gentle and stealthy.

Rod action: fast tip action is harder to learn on there's no doubt.
    Nice for the pro, but unforgiving.
    So getting a tip-middle medium action rod right now will result in you getting much more pleasure from using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Wow thats a lot of questions. I agree with the guys. I use a 10' 7' on the lake but Im looking to actually change to a 9'6" 7# as its a little lighter and savage to cast. So def change the rod from a 7 to a 9', 9'6 or even a 10. A full rod, reel and line, flies etc with a tube shouldnt cost you more than 80 quid so theres great value out there.

You asked a lot of questions and to be honest its probably too many for any one person to answer. Do you know anyone who fly fishes? Cause often watching someone else cast and fish often helps.

Regarding some of your questions though:

You dont have to cast three times. My dad can cast 30ft in one cast I cant so I cast twice and its what makes me feel comfortable. Cast to your ability. Dont get hung up on whats right, just enjoy it

You reel in with your hand, even when you catch a fish unless its a salmon!

Pull the line in in different ways, some lakes the fish prefer fast moving flies, some prefer slow. Once the flies hit the water drag the flies in immediately.

Try and make the line lang without a splash, this takes time so dont panic. Regarding where to fish, thats up to the lake, there is no golden rule. Fish do like to hang around large rocks. I usually fish from a boat so we would cast into the shores with floating line, then sometimes fast sinking out in deeper water.

Im sure there are loads more things to tell you but its been a long day and Im heading out of the shop now. Keep posting questions and Im sure everyone here will help you out..

Regards,

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

you should look up youtube videos on how to cast.. when buying a fly line buy a weight forward line definitly floating its d best for a beginer easyier to cast..when u go to the lake just try and get yr fly to turn over if u no what i mean(get it out straight)thas where the skill is especially when casting over long distances. then retrieve it at what ever speed u want .. u should try fishing the lake in aughrim its stocked lake perfect for beginners fish arnt too hard t catch there.

Well.. Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, I can just change the deposit onto a 9 footer and also a reel to keep the weight balanced. I know of a good few lakes around wicklow more so than rivers/Streams.

About the action of the rod... The fast action felt a lot more comfortable whereas the slow and medium seemed a bit stiff for my liking so would I be good to go on the fast action or would it be still better to get a medium?

Now, The guy in the store said he was going to give me a floating line, When I was reading up I didn't give much attention to the line, I should have though since it's the most important part of a fly rod from what I believe and I know that it's best to start off with a nymph on the line and If the fish aren't coming up, To change to a dry fly. I just wanted to know, Why change to a dry fly yet it's a floating line? I presume there's weight on the dry fly, Yes?

@Con manx1 I was wondering was anyone going to mention that lake. I have fished in it at least 6 times in the past 2 Years, No catches and from what I remember only 3 Bites. Yes I am terrible at fishing and I'm sure this has a good percentage to why I had not caught any trout but I have only ever seen 2 people actually catch one, It's quite an empty lake, Nice though

Bump

Bump x2

• Advertisement

Bump x3 Come on, Anyone?

BUMP BUMP BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

Have you considered getting a few lessons? I'm sure if you ask in your local fishing club, there would be plenty of people that would take you out fishing for a small fee or maybe for free. Any fishermen I know are always happy to pass on local knowledge.

You could also get some lessons in a fishing school. There are loads of them around the contry. Just google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

dry fly fishing is a little bit more difficult . u should start with wet fly's and a floating line.it would be easier t catch a trout on that lake with a fly than bait. u cover allot more water with a fly.u should get 9 or 9ft 6 with a stiff action rod..once u catch your first trout on a fly u will be hooked fr ever. here is a useful knot for u will need if u want to fish with two flys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIiGQgLPQbk&NR=1

Thanks for the replies. I now know most of the basics and so I think I'm good to go but I just need help on one little thing...

I have a friend going out with me on the lake and His only rod is this 11 Foot rod that he bought in Argos (Lol). Anyway, He went with me twice up to the lake in aughrim using only a spinner on the rod. He caught nothing, same as me but would single spinner on the line, No float, no weight actually catch trout? He has also tried to float fish but that was unsuccessful.

Also, another thing, Tell me If this works... I have seen many people 'Sling-Shot' bread over to where the line is in the water which is supposed to attract trout up to the surface, Does it work?

I'm sorry If sound like a complete fool, But then again, I have never really looked into the technical side of fishing and now is my opportunity to do it.

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It might work, but if I was beside them with flies I'd expect to catch fish 6-10 times faster.

Thanks. Does Anyone by any chance know what trout are in the lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 colinthomas

you will get the hang of it.....ive never been all that good but its never spoilt my enjoyment. you dont need to cast well on rivers. ppl spend far too much money on gear. you will have good days and bad days...thats what keep it fun.

Advertisement