Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An off license thats open on christmas day?

Options
  • 23-12-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Thread title wasnt a question :pac:
    As it seems one Molloys off licence in west dublin is opening for 6 hours on the big day. Which makes you question, who would be bloody going in there? :pac: as near enough anyone who wants a drink buys before the 25th. (hey that rhymes)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I thought they can't sell alcohol on Christmas day though. I'll have stocked up anyway so I won't need to buy drink for about 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well there were masive queues in the Off Licemce today, so the idea of poping out for ten minutes and getting everything you need for the day hassle free is kinda tempting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Alcohol consumption is the first step on the road to perdition. You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 abbba

Is the sale of Alcohol not prohibited on Christmas Day? similar to Good Friday? Best to make sure you're well stocked up on booze before the big day Op!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Is this some anti drinking campaign people trying to trick us:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I thought they can't sell alcohol on Christmas day though. I'll have stocked up anyway so I won't need to buy drink for about 3 weeks.
    abbba wrote: »
    Is the sale of Alcohol not prohibited on Christmas Day? similar to Good Friday? Best to make sure you're well stocked up on booze before the big day Op!

Way ahead of you in the stocking up department :pac:

But I too always assumed that legally places couldnt sell alcohol on the 25th. But they seem to be opening for those hours. I know as much as the next man :) So maybe there was never a law. Maybe it was just no place would open?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

if you have a thirst that bad just check into a hotel and they will serve ya all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Our LORD and baby jaysus would be pissed off if we had no beer to spill on his christly little head on his birthday. anyone see the **** he did to japan this year? new orlenes in 2005?

better safe than sorry imo. It's enough that we let gays walk around. let's not take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

RichieC wrote: »
    Our LORD and baby jaysus would be pissed off if we had no beer to spill on his christly little head on his birthday. anyone see the **** he did to japan this year? new orlenes in 2005?

better safe than sorry imo. It's enough that we let gays walk around. let's not take the piss.

Its baby Jebus get the name right blasphemer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

he talks to me!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Alcoholic's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The world's run by alcoholics. By the way if anyone want's drink on Christmas day I will be running a very illegal and possibly very blashepmous off licence behind the church, if you're low on supplies on the day. Come to me after communion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

LighterGuy wrote: »
    As it seems one Molloys off licence in west dublin is opening for 6 hours on the big day. Which makes you question, who would be bloody going in there? :pac: as near enough anyone who wants a drink buys before the 25th. (hey that rhymes)

does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nplunkett

Hi Guys,I work for Molloys. We are not open on Christmas Day. It's against the law to sell alcohol on Christmas Day and Good Friday. Not sure where this rumour started but it is 100% False.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

nplunkett wrote: »
    Hi Guys,I work for Molloys. We are not open on Christmas Day. It's against the law to sell alcohol on Christmas Day and Good Friday. Not sure where this rumour started but it is 100% False.

Yes, but we can get wine, right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

buncha alcos

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nplunkett

Fraid not Snakeblood. You can buy what you want on Christmas Eve but anyone selling beer, wine or spirits on Christmas Day is breaking the law. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Even if it is open you will only be able to purchase crisps and nuts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Myth busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mr Molloy told me that's debatable.

He said you're a lazy hoor tbh!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.... I *getcha*. ;) I guess we *won't* be buying any *illegal* alcohol on Christmas Day then. ;);)No sireee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

:confused: Eh, yes it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Plenty of nightclubs opening at 1201 to get around the silly licence laws

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cosanostra wrote: »

That's Stephens Day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

cosanostra wrote: »

How is opening on the 26th getting around not being allowed serve on the 25th?

and you are correct.
    Sorry guys looks like we've all be had :(
    I was told it was open by about 4 different people. Turns out it was a mistake. I honestly don't know how it spread.
    There is a Spar beside it. Maybe thats opening for those hours. I dunno. Silly rumor to be going around.

does it?

What rhymes with 'took off' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Never understood why the law should say you can't sell alcohol on Christmas.

Might as well make it illegal not to be Christian, same thing - just more extreme (IMHO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

abbba wrote: »

I agree, best to get stocked up well in advance, and allow for the fact that you'll have to spend ages in queues as it gets closer to Christmas.

BTW, I've never figured out why they call it "Good Friday". What the fcuk is good about it? I spend a lot of time in Finland, and there it's called pitkäperjantai - literally "Long Friday". That is IMHO a more apt description of that total bummer of a day. :):):)

Advertisement