Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TCD Accommodation

• 14-07-2014 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be a good idea to have one thread for all things accommodation related.

If you have questions about Halls, are looking for a room, or if you've no idea about Dublin and just want to know what areas to look for accommodation in, ask away.

You can also advertise rooms for rent and search for possible house mates here.
    Don't give out your phone number or email address in the post. Contact the poster by PM

Useful links:

TCDSU Accommodation Advisory Service (runs Aug-Sep)
    Website
    Twitter

Trinity Halls and On-Campus Accommodation

TCD noticeboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alice22

Hey there,
    I am a mature student (29) starting at Trinity in September. I'm doing a second degree and have massive fees so looking for low cost accommodation within cycling distance of the city centre. Somewhere homely!

Maybe there are other mature students out there who want to look for a place together?

or anybody who has a spare room that the are wanting to rent out to a friendly West of Ireland girl :)

You could private message me if you would like to get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

Has anyone stayed in Broadstone Hall before ? As a prospective first year I'm just looking around for a back up to halls and Broadstone seems to offer a lot at a good price compared to the likes of Griffith etc. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goose92

Room available from now for 465pm excluding bills in Dublin 8 with 3 final year students, PM for details

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

Worth a shot - I'm going into final year TSM in Trinity, looking for a room within 20 minutes of college.
    On a very tight budget so willing/would prefer to share a room with another girl.
    Non-smoker, and am planning to be very busy this year so would be out of your way a lot! PM please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leec4

Hey people's. The name is ciara. I'm going into my final year of nursing this September. I'm currently looking for accommodation in dublin. I'm training in St jamses hospital so would primarily be looking for a room near there. But I'm open to any options once there's a bus or luas nearby. I'm a tidy and clean individual. Pretty laid back. I make a good curry if that helps. Message me if interested in adopting me for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Portomarino

Hi,

Long-time lurker here.

I'm a second year student sorting accommodation out and it's a bit dire at the moment.
    Is there a way of getting a place without going through viewings? Are viewings 100% necessary? I have family members in Dublin who can scout out the place but if a landlord really wants to know who I am then is a scan of a student card (or other ID's) ok?

I live in Warsaw with my parents who work there. Getting a flight to Dublin is a pretty huge expense at the moment.
    Surely there is a way to organize long-distance accommodation that is not a dedicated student residence? There must have been international students who have done it this way before in the past. Is something like a holding deposit possible?

I'm looking at the Hazelwood complex but that's in Santry and I'd prefer to get a closer location if possible. A lot of places on daft and collegecribs look decent but there's this whole viewing thing.

Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DuineGael

CHEAP ACCOMMODATION - 20 MINS FROM CITY CENTRE

Hi all! I am a TCD student living with my family in Raheny which is just 20 mins from the city centre.

Here are the rates:

€100 - Sunday Night to Thursday night per week.
    €125 - Entire week.

No other bills included.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

I'm a prospective first year student, hoping to get into Halls if I get my course in trinity. What's the story with applying for halls? Do I have to get an offer from Trinity before I can do anything?
    And if so, what do I do?
    Any help would be great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

mcratsix wrote: »
    I'm a prospective first year student, hoping to get into Halls if I get my course in trinity. What's the story with applying for halls? Do I have to get an offer from Trinity before I can do anything?
    And if so, what do I do?
    Any help would be great, thanks

Once you get your student number after accepting your TCD offer, you can then apply for a place in Halls

You need to write a personal statement saying why you should get a place in Halls. It can be a maximum of 1800 characters, not words, and that also includes spaces

Once you get your student number after accepting your TCD offer, you can then apply for a place in Halls

You need to write a personal statement saying why you should get a place in Halls. It can be a maximum of 1800 characters, not words, and that also includes spaces

thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Statthew

Hey guys,

I'm really stuck at the moment for accommodation. I'm looking for a single room within walking distance or a short bus/luas journey to college. The most I can pay is €450/month. I can get two references from previous landlords and an employer reference if needed. I'm finding it difficult to call landlords and view houses at the moment because I work full-time in Navan. If you have something suitable or are looking for someone to rent with please pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Hey! I'm looking for a decent sized room within walking distance or a short bus journey into college. My budget is €450/ month.

Ideally, the room should have space for a desk, chair and a wardrobe.

I'd prefer to live with 3rd /4th year students, but 2nd year students are also fine. I'm very tidy, friendly and sociable. I'm male btw.

Please pm me if you're looking for a fun housemate!!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

Hey, I'm wondering if it's worth the journey to go up to the Halls open day tomorrow? Should I bother or not? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hey, I'm wondering if it's worth the journey to go up to the Halls open day tomorrow? Should I bother or not? Thanks! :)

the video of Halls on youtube shows pretty much everything you need to see, but if you want to see more and put your mind at ease it's well worth your while going to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NImed

When are student ID numbers for trinity sent out does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

I have received my student ID number but am not able to apply for halls for some reason? It won't let me. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

FunTimess wrote: »
    I have received my student ID number but am not able to apply for halls for some reason? It won't let me. Is anyone else having this problem?

The system won't recognise your ID until later this week at the earliest. Every new student is in the same situation! Your best bet is to try every day and see if it works. If it works, you're sorted. If not, keep trying until it does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

The system won't recognise your ID until later this week at the earliest. Every new student is in the same situation! Your best bet is to try every day and see if it works. If it works, you're sorted. If not, keep trying until it does :)

Thanks! I was panicking there for a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

I can access my portal alright using the number and password from the email, but it appears I can't do anything in there until I accept the unconditional offer in there first. Anytime I try that I get an error :pac: I'm far too excited for all this waiting about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

Does anyone has any examples of Applications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I can access my portal alright using the number and password from the email, but it appears I can't do anything in there until I accept the unconditional offer in there first. Anytime I try that I get an error :pac: I'm far too excited for all this waiting about :D

same..won't let me apply for accommodation either, so I guess it's just a waiting game for now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 micoshea

So, has anyone started working on their accommodation application yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

micoshea wrote: »
    So, has anyone started working on their accommodation application yet?

I'll probably wait to see the headings we have to write under first, hopefully it works soon'

I'm in the same boat. I've accepted my offer in Trinity, and can log in to mytcd, but can't make an account to apply for accommodation. I was really worried before coming on here. I think the application is mostly about what you would contribute to the community in Halls and stuff like that. I'm really hoping that since I'm from the west of Ireland and can't commute that they'll let me in

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Just as a few general tips for your personal statement:

1. If you're from the back end of nowhere, STATE IT.

2. The Warden will read all of your statements personally (or so he says..), and then decide if he wants you to live in his gaff or not. His favourite motto for the residents is: "be reasonable". Take from that what you will.

3. Dont lie about your hobbies/interests on the statement, though a bit of slight exaggeration is always good. Wording things differently can make a big difference. Your flatmates will often be based on what course you do and also your hobbies/interests. The last thing you want is being e.g. the only meat lover in a flat full of vegans. Happened before, drove people crazy!

4. Try to stand out from the crowd! "Music ,TV and reading" is nice and all but "International cinema, playing the french horn and having plans to write your first novel" sounds a bit better in the warden's opinion.

5. There's 1800 characters, USE ALL OF THEM. Sell yourself.

6. Probably best not to mention that you plan on "luving da nitelyf and shifting da burds" every 2nd night in college.

7. Trinity Hall is a part of Trinity College. Could be useful to mention what you plan on doing with your time ON CAMPUS as well as at home in the privacy of your room. ;)

8. When writing the statement, think less..."What can Halls do for me?" (i.e. not leave you homeless and on the street) and more "What can I do for Halls?". The Warden's goal is to create a vibrant community, and YOU should be a valued addition. If it was about filling a room with just anyone, they reaaaaally wouldn't bother with this personal statement craic.

9. A bit pedantic but VERY important: Saying "Hall" instead of "Halls" in your statement makes the warden feel warm and fuzzy inside, and shows that you have #respect for the place. Make sure to use this to your advantage! Plus it saves you like 5 characters overall, even to write "xo" at the end.

10. Last but not least, if you read back your statement and it makes you cringe a little.... You're doing it right. Keep it up!

Good luck to all!

I wrote my supporting statement then I just wrote at the end, "my hobbies and interests are....." is that okay? I didn't go into too much detail but I didn't really say vague cliche ones. Idk I'm so paranoid, I'll have no where to live if I don't get this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

Has anyone actually been able to apply for halls ??

cian casey wrote: »
    Has anyone actually been able to apply for halls ??

Yep it's working now

a0ifee wrote: »
    Yep it's working now

It's not working for me?

• Advertisement

Use your student ID no when creating your account, not your cao number

Advertisement