Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Certificate - can a mature student assist me?

• 25-11-2015 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, ya'll.

I've recently found enough courage to make a committed attempt to enter third level education starting 2016. I can't qualify as a mature student... due to bad timing on my part when it came to my birth. I must be 23 years old by 1st January 2016 to be eligible. I was born 23 days after the date. I don't think they'd make an exception for me. Bummer. To think I was supposed to be born on Christmas!

There is the foundation route access available (to 22 year olds and over). Except there is no information on how big the course is or how many people apply for it. Is there a competitive factor involved?

It really is my best option, but I only have a 275 point LC to show for my 5 year absence from education. Well, except for a 3-month Creative Writing course I'll be starting at the beginning of 2016.

Do I have a reasonable chance to get into the Certificate of Science course, or should I be looking into PLCs? I'm doing all of this early because I need the momentum to keep going. (:

Any mature students that have taken part in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

The cert in science is one year long. Here is a link to some info about it:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/experimental-physics/our-courses/certificate-science

Emer Sheerin is the person you want to talk to. She is the Mature Student Officer. She is lovely and will be happy to talk to you and answer your questions. Her contact details are at the bottom of that link I posted.

There is usually around 20 ish people on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 omgtherage

Thank you for the reply. I will be going to the open day tomorrow and plan to find out as much as I can about my options. If I fail to find out everything I need, I will make use of the contact details you provided, so thank you!

The main reason I posted this was to find out about other mature student experiences with this foundation course. If anyone is willing to share, please do so! I want the human perspective.

Thanks again!

Advertisement