Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FF Voters - Please apologise here.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Fianna Fail getting into power this time around was the best thing for the country, the hardship and fcukups that they have caused will now come to peoples attention and it will make it alot more difficult for them to ever get back in again, they even hurt the grey vote this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Vegeta wrote: »
    I think this recession will be grand. Luckily in the golden years when they were swimming in money they gave us a great health system, schools which are in great shape and public transport/infrastructure is fantastic.............................................:p

More money pumped into the health service than any other government? Wheres it all gone? Ask the consultants ..oh no..wait dont do that.. because if Mary Harney tries to get answers.. they'l just picket.

Schools, again - millions pumped into education, and many new schools, the teacher pupil ratio is lower now that it was - we have one of the highest standards of education in europe.

And public transport infrastructure? Unless you dont get out very much, there has been massive investment and massive upgrading of our road netword. If you want to tell me a story about a pothole on your road in south Kerry good for you, but look at the motorways that have been rolled out over the last few years alone..

John Gormley would do soo much better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

snyper wrote: »
    Schools, again - millions pumped into education, and many new schools, the teacher pupil ratio is lower now that it was - we have one of the highest standards of education in europe.

LOL tell that to the tens of thousands of school kids who are still in prefabs.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T5GGLL_enIE273IE274&q=irish+schools+prefab

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

DonJose wrote: »
    LOL tell that to the tens of thousands of school kids who are still in prefabs.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T5GGLL_enIE273IE274&q=irish+schools+prefab

I was taught in a prefab classroom 20 years ago?

Its made out to be this terrible travesty...:rolleyes:

I think people like to make great complaints but forget to understand that there isnt an endless pit of money coming into the governments pocket.

Oh.. yea.. E VOTING MACHINES!!! WASTE WASTE WASTE!!

Annualy it takes 55 BILLION to run this country, what percentage of that are the e - voting machines?

People like to pick the sweet and easy targets like health and education and the aformentioned e voting machines but forget to put a little thought on how the government are going to pay for all these schools over night? Tax the rich? We already do.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fianna Fail? More like epic fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Enough said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I didn't vote FF but i will apologise for voting Green.

I'm the same...the only thing I can take away from it is that the Green I voted for didn't get in. I won't be wasting the vote on him or his FF co-runners in this constituency next time around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its hardly a good thing either? A lot of those prefabs are cold, draughty, run down, and not designed for teaching. There is a lot wrong with the basic structures that go with day to day education, how are we supposed to become a "knowledge economy" if they aren't fixed? Btw any focus on poor buildings in schools is entirely Cowan's own fault he came up with the KE bull, and opened himself up to criticism on the state of the education system.
    I think people like to make great complaints but forget to understand that there isnt an endless pit of money coming into the governments pocket.

Oh.. yea.. E VOTING MACHINES!!! WASTE WASTE WASTE!!

Annualy it takes 55 BILLION to run this country, what percentage of that are the e - voting machines?
    What is the purpose of paying a half million euro every year for storing machines no one wants? Why do you feel its ok to have waste in government?
    People like to pick the sweet and easy targets like health and education and the aformentioned e voting machines but forget to put a little thought on how the government are going to pay for all these schools over night? Tax the rich? We already do.

How about starting with not paying for decentralisation, quangos, private hospitals on public land, and a multitude of other wasteful projects? I think you'd find plenty of money left for education then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

All he needs is a pointed tail and a pair of hoofs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm personally hoping Libertas puts up a few canidates.

God know FF is useless, FG is useless in opposition and the Greens are the worst - they have sold their soul out completely.

I am NEVER voting for any of the last three ever again.

Yes, 'cos the Americans are running their country so much better:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FF, while nowhere near perfect, were (and still are) the best/most experienced option out of a bad lot.

FF didn't so much win the last election, as FG failed to provide a viable alternative. Enda Kenny repeated showed himself to be someone you wouldn't trust to organise a piss-up in a brewery, never mind run the country.

SF will never get in power here because they have no idea about how a real government works.

Labour much the same.

What I find laughable though is all the PC eco-friendly tree-hugging idiots who voted Greens now whinging because they did actually get into government (albeit with FF) and have instituted some of their policies.
    Personally I expected them to be margainalised as they were only brought in to make up the numbers, but unfortunately they did manage to get themselves some authority and now we all pay for it with ludicrious taxes.

If anything those who voted Green should be apologising to the rest of us - I certainly didn't vote for them. But like the PD's before them, they'll take the brunt of the public's rage next time round.

The facts are that regardless of what party is in power, the objective in Irish politics is to get in and stay in (by looking after your mates, family - look how many of our TDs are related in some way or other), and line your pockets while you do so.

Don't try and tell me that FG would be any different. By our very nature, the Irish people are too busy tryng to get one over on "the man/system"/each other that the "public good" is something only remembered when there's personal gain attached to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    FF, while nowhere near perfect, were (and still are) the best/most experienced option out of a bad lot.
    Following that "logic" we should still be voting for Cumann na nGaedheal, since they were in government first, they clearly had more experience than DeV, who should therefore never have been elected.
    FF didn't so much win the last election, as FG failed to provide a viable alternative. Enda Kenny repeated showed himself to be someone you wouldn't trust to organise a piss-up in a brewery, never mind run the country.

That's bull tbh, I'm not a FG supporter but you can't ignore the massive gains they made in the last election. Kenny showed that he could take over a dying party and make it valid again, which is more than Cowan is capable of, since old party wounds are already starting to surface under his reign of mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As were many of us. If you recall those days then you'll also recall that there was shag all money in the country and that because of the baby boom, extra school space was needed and main buildings, most of them church owned and run were in varying states of disrepair.
    Your point seems to be that it didn't do us any harm? Yes you're right...probably didn't do us a whole lot of good either. I remember these places as being draughty damp miserable places, that would creak and move on a windy day with one radiator in a corner, for the whole class. Prefabs were supposed to be a temporary meausre to cover the shortfall....years upo years later and many of them still remain and/or have been added to on school grounds.

The big difference that you seem to be missing is that in those two decades we've moved on and gotten some money which should have been invested (not spent) in proper school buildings. Land developers and builders were given carte blanche to build where the hell they liked as long as the stamp duty kept flowing but never were they forced into providing or helping to provide the amenities for the huge estates they threw up...all these places to make babies and not a thought given as to where they'd all be educated.
    So now that the money is gone and the builders have diversified (ie moved offhshore) our children ae back in the same prefabs their parents were taught in...the classes may in fact be bigger and the teachers may not be as plentiful (especially after yesterday's budget)...all that wealth squandered away on superfluous crap like new buildings for local authorities, thrown away on tax breaks for the already wealthy so they can build new hotels that no-one f*cking needs or wants. It'd be downright laughable if it weren't so tragic.

BTW do you know what the Dept of education spends on the rental/lease of prefabs that are only supposed to be temporary? Chances are that the money used paying for them over the years and decades could be used to build permanent modern buildings...but that would take some level of foresight on behalf of the **** who count the beans...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

One Fianna Fáil candidate was given a preference by me. Likewise a Green.

I shall never make the same mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

One Fianna Fáil candidate was given a preference by me. Likewise a Green.

I shall never make the same mistake again.

How can you blame the Greens? I mean i understand to a certain extent people bitching about FF and their policies creating this situation but the Greens, they've been there for less than 18 months ffs. This budget was very necessary given our current financial status, yes you may be pissed at some aspects of the budget but thats life, people bought absolute crap for years on credit. Maybe now people can budget a little more wisely.

I mean the ignorance and selfishness here is unreal. Oh and for people saying 'lets dump the Govt', what good will that do? Anyone remember the Weimer Republic in Germany and the continuing collapse of Govts allinged with awful finances or the early 80s here? We must learn from history. If we want to further worsen the situation, go ahead lets have another general election-the muppets who believed SF and Libertas at Lisbon can vote them into Govt, a nice left wing Shinner Govt or god knows what anti europe right wing Libertas will do nicely right now:rolleyes:

Get real people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That's bull tbh, I'm not a FG supporter but you can't ignore the massive gains they made in the last election. Kenny showed that he could take over a dying party and make it valid again, which is more than Cowan is capable of, since old party wounds are already starting to surface under his reign of mediocrity.

Yes they did make some major gains but the election was their for the taking, he blew the debate imo. The thing about Kenny is that he does not inspire, and is not a strong public speaker,(not that we are blessed with TDs who have those qualities )but these are two elemnets that play a huge part in elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

themont85 wrote: »
    How can you blame the Greens? I mean i understand to a certain extent people bitching about FF and their policies creating this situation but the Greens, they've been there for less than 18 months ffs. This budget was very necessary given our current financial status, yes you may be pissed at some aspects of the budget but thats life, people bought absolute crap for years on credit. Maybe now people can budget a little more wisely.

I mean the ignorance and selfishness here is unreal. Oh and for people saying 'lets dump the Govt', what good will that do? Anyone remember the Weimer Republic in Germany and the continuing collapse of Govts allinged with awful finances or the early 80s here? We must learn from history. If we want to further worsen the situation, go ahead lets have another general election-the muppets who believed SF and Libertas at Lisbon can vote them into Govt, a nice left wing Shinner Govt or god knows what anti europe right wing Libertas will do nicely right now:rolleyes:

Get real people

I think the greens fecked up the second they went into power, they natter on loads of horseshìte about a greener ireland, but that was safely in the knowledge they wouldn't get power. Then trevor sargent says the greens will never go into power with FF, next thing they go into power with FF. Then the whole debacle begins, trevor resigns somehow hoping it`ll cover up that one. Then the tara issue is conveniently closed just as john gormley becomes environment minister. And now we`ll get tortured with stupid little things like car park tax until they go the way of the pds. And I think they`ll crash in a big way, the hard core green people who vote for them will see them as sell outs, the people with a guilty concious about the environment will be fed up with their BS.

I mean they want to promote cycling in a country with no infrastructure for it ? I could probably count the cycle lanes in cork on my hands and toes, which leaves a whole heap of dangerous roads on which people can get mangled on.

I was never big on the greens anyway, but I like them more on the opposition benchs shouting at people and looking like they had integrity as opposed to a bunch of annoying people who only push through token efforts (annoying ones at that) that cowen approves.

I`ve seen enough over the past few months to know I dont want to see any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I'm a Shinner:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Yeah FF are loathsome, incompetent fcuks.
    But i look at Kenny and he is just so ineffectual.
    As others said, all FG seems to do is political point-scoring and criticism of the incumbents.
    Depressing to think that this is the best Ireland has to offer politically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

FF and grassroot supporters hang your head in shame.
    Our economy is fooked, we have Draconian drinking laws, and an eight euro price tag on a pack of smokes. nice job.
    When will Fianna Gael realise Richard Bruton is the man for the job? Had he paired up with Rabbite things could have been different i reckon.

FF and grassroot supporters hang your head in shame.
    Our economy is fooked, we have Draconian drinking laws, and an eight euro price tag on a pack of smokes. nice job.
    When will Fianna Gael realise Richard Bruton is the man for the job? Had he paired up with Rabbite things could have been different i reckon.

Not bothered about the drinking law or the cigs but have to say I agree with you regarding Richard Bruton, he does come across very well, amd I have been very impressed with him, that said have never been impressed with Kenny and it is the only thing that is putting me off FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So FG need to wise up and remove Kenny from the leadership, seriously most critics on here have it in for Kenny as they think he's a joke, I think a lot of his party think the same, they need to get a new leader and they are guarenteed the next election, I would like to see Richard Bruton get the job.
    The Greens can also forget about the next election, they are another joke, wow lets ban light bulbs, and they want to add additional carbon tax to oil based fuels, naw they are out.
    Fianna Fail deserve to be kicked out of government, they have managed our economy into the ground and they have no one to blame but themselves.
    But hey there are always FF lemmings around who go oh yes I'll always vote FF, theres a couple on them on this thread :)

So we as the voting public should make sure that FF don't get one seat at next years local elections. If there was anyway that we can remove these overpaid incompitant idiots from power it should be done.

all imho of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some of the FF bashers can go **** themselves. I've had to put up with a lot of meaningless drivel from some mates of mine. Having said that, the govt and its civil servants were extremely lazy in some areas of governance. Allowing the banks to run amok with their limited and overvalued assets was irresponsible. Biffo has a lot to answer for.

I find it amazing and saddening that people can offer nothing better for an opinion than words like "incompetent fcuks" and "epic fail", to get a brief sample. Verbal diarrhoea is a terrible affliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Can see now why Bertie was so quick to abandon ship, it wasn't the Mahon tribunal he was in fear of after all! Can imagine the tribunals of inquiry will start winding down soon enough being as they practically bleed money so he will get off lightly. The clever man is now sitting pretty on his nice retirement money to see out his twilight years. Wonder is he donating 10%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

*SHOCK HORROR* Our Government isn't perfect! :eek:

"Let's blame the Government for everything" , "Every FF'er is a corrupt builder", "Mary Harney is fat", "rabble rabble rabble" - typical default positions for people to piss and moan because bashing FF is the done thing.

Yes the Government has made mistakes, (some rather big ones) but as far as I'm concerned, they're the best we could possibly have right now. Perhaps Enda Kenny is a good TD in Castlebar, but I shudder to think of what our country would be like if led by him and a FG Govt.

I've never voted before because I only turned 18 last year, but in the next election, I will certainly put FF down on my ballot before I'd ever vote FG.

*SHOCK HORROR* Our Government isn't perfect! :eek:

"Let's blame the Government for everything" , "Every FF'er is a corrupt builder", "Mary Harney is fat", "rabble rabble rabble" - typical default positions for people to piss and moan because bashing FF is the done thing.

Yes the Government has made mistakes, (some rather big ones) but as far as I'm concerned, they're the best we could possibly have right now. Perhaps Enda Kenny is a good TD in Castlebar, but I shudder to think of what our country would be like if led by him and a FG Govt.

I've never voted before because I only turned 18 last year, but in the next election, I will certainly put FF down on my ballot before I'd ever vote FG.

While I agree with you re Kenny, can you tell me why you shuddder at the thought of a FG Govt? What are the FG policies that worry you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If FG got rid of Kenny and Labour did the same with Burton i think they would have a good chance of gaining a lot of ground come the next gen election.
    The local and europe ones are basically irrelevant as FF cant really get less seats than last time as they did awful so if the two main opposition parties get their act together in the next 2 years we might see an alternative arise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

engrish? wrote: »
    I would still vote FF. They will guide us out of this.
    Yeh right! FF had over a decade of great revenues, yet they always put off creating the social state, on the grounds that it would interfere with making the money necessary to pay for such a project.

Now that they've thrown away the opportunity, why would anyone sane vote for them? We need Labour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Húrin wrote: »
    Yeh right! FF had over a decade of great revenues, yet they always put off creating the social state, on the grounds that it would interfere with making the money necessary to pay for such a project.

Now that they've thrown away the opportunity, why would anyone sane vote for them? We need Labour...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=165435

Joan is a Boardsie!

-Funk

Advertisement