Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The 55-200 VR goes well with the 18-55, you can often pick them up on adverts.ie for around €150.

I'm not saying this is a good buy for you though, that really depends on your intended use as landscape/travel/random is a bit vague...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

Am not an expert and dont know an awful amount about this,but u have to careful that the type of lens u want is compatable with ur nikon,

I emailed nikon about the very same subject (also about a lens for the 3100) and they were very very helpful i have to say.

Am not an expert and dont know an awful amount about this,but u have to careful that the type of lens u want is compatable with ur nikon,

I emailed nikon about the very same subject (also about a lens for the 3100) and they were very very helpful i have to say.

Yes, Nikkor AF-S (S - silent wave motor) lenses have the auto focus motor built in, AF lenses don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 carolgus33

that really depends on your intended use as landscape/travel/random is a bit vague...

You obviously know more about photography than I do! SO much to learn though... Just about got the understanding of the aperture/ISO/ shutter speed then trying to get them right etc.... I should prob do a course to help me a bit!! Will see. I'll prob get one of those lens& continue to experiment!

carolgus33 wrote: »

You obviously know more about photography than I do! SO much to learn though... Just about got the understanding of the aperture/ISO/ shutter speed then trying to get them right etc.... I should prob do a course to help me a bit!! Will see. I'll prob get one of those lens& continue to experiment!

Very little I'd say. I'm still learning. ;)

I did buy the 55-200 mentioned above but soon realised the focal length just didn't suit my needs, so I sold it on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best bet is to go through your photos that you like and work out which focal lengths you use the most. if it's wide, there's less point buying a telephoto zoom...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Very little I'd say. I'm still learning. ;)

I did buy the 55-200 mentioned above but soon realised the focal length just didn't suit my needs, so I sold it on.

I've just started on this with a second hand 3100, I sort of get iso, aperture and shutter speed, but where does focal length enter the equation?
    Also, and please don't laugh, why not just keep the setting at auto?:o

I've just started on this with a second hand 3100, I sort of get iso, aperture and shutter speed, but where does focal length enter the equation?

Don't worry, nobody will laugh. ;)

Focal length is the zoom, your current lens goes from 18mm (wide angle) to 55mm.

best bet is to go through your photos that you like and work out which focal lengths you use the most. if it's wide, there's less point buying a telephoto zoom...

That's helpful thanks!

Haha your post made me feel a bit better!!! :) if you were to set it on auto then why would you buy an slr?? You want to be able to create& capture interesting photos with what you have because you CAN! And a much better sense of satisfaction when you do learn to capture that one great photo on manual:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

I've had a digital bridge for a while now (Fuji finepix s1600) but I recently got to try a friend's Canon DSLR. It was amazing. She can't remember the brand name (:rolleyes: helpful for me. Canon 50D or 100D she said) but I enjoyed using it much more than my own camera.

I'm willing to learn about DSLRs, but right now I just need a few recommendations. Apologies if this is in the wrong area. Basically what I need:

Responsiveness. Hers was *click* Picture taken. So much better than mine, unless I'm using it wrong, where I have to focus it and then take the shot, or it won't focus - at which point my subject has moved or is getting annoyed.

Manual focus. Whatever lens was on hers I twisted and it would zoom in and focus on the subject - my own camera has a button that you pull to zoom. Mechanical. Slow and not fun.

Noise. Loved the picture quality in hers. I can barely take photos in low-light situations with my own camera without lots of noise/blur or using a tripod on a low ISO setting.

I also already own Photoshop. I love Macro photography and would be using my new camera for shots of friends as well as macro shots, and some landscape ones (Kodak moments :P) that catch my eye, as I'm going to be attending art college soon and lots of things I see I wish I could take a picture of..

In a new camera I'd like quick responsiveness (ie I hate shutter lag!), an LCD viewing screen if possible, good pictures at high ISO settings and I'm guessing aperture levels and such change depending on the lens. I'd maybe like some prints of my photos but it's not a necessity.

Price range.. around 500 euro if that's possible. I'm willing to go second-hand.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong area. Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

An aside: Personally I like the Nikon D5100 right now, I'm looking at dpreviews, but it's a bit out of my price range. I'll hopefully get to sell my Fuji (with bag) for 140 euro. Emphasis on "hopefully".

The Pentax K-x looks good too but really I'm not sure what types of camera I should be looking for right now, so any help is really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

carolgus33 wrote: »

Haha your post made me feel a bit better!!! :) if you were to set it on auto then why would you buy an slr?? You want to be able to create& capture interesting photos with what you have because you CAN! And a much better sense of satisfaction when you do learn to capture that one great photo on manual:):)[/QUOTE]

I retired recently, and thought that taking up photography would give me a pastime. I took a course locally, the photos we took were all nighttime so I could grasp iso/shutter speed/aperture, but any I take in daylight look better in auto.
    Can you see where I'm coming from?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    An aside: Personally I like the Nikon D5100 right now, I'm looking at dpreviews, but it's a bit out of my price range. I'll hopefully get to sell my Fuji (with bag) for 140 euro. Emphasis on "hopefully".

The Pentax K-x looks good too but really I'm not sure what types of camera I should be looking for right now, so any help is really appreciated.

You will be OK with any recent DSLR Camera. Nikon & Canon are the most popular brands and have the widest choice of lenses & accessories.

To get the most out of any camera you really need to learn about Exposure and how to control it. Then with a DSLR shooting in RAW and having knowledge about Post Production and Workflow will get you further than the latest model camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I'm looking for some advice and help please. I have a canon EOS 400D, which I find is a good camera, albeit sometimes not great in low-light. Anyway, I was taking photos recently with a friends Nikon d7000, and I found it great - quicker, better, etc. It got me thinking that i'd like to upgrade. After looking at whats there, and what I can afford, I think I could get enough money for a 60D.

I have a few lenses at the moment, been the following:
    Sigma DC 18-200mm
    Canon EF 50mm
    Canon EF 75-300mm (kit lens)
    Canon EFS 18-55mm (kit lens)
    Canon 28-90mm (kit lens for my 300v film)

I like having a lens of 18-200mm because it means I don't have to bring a zoom. I'm thinking I might prefer a 18-250/270 though, as there are times that i'd like to zoom better.

My question is should I look at upgrading my lens first, to the likes of the tamron 18-270 or canon 18-200, or will my sigma be just as good? Will I be better to upgrade the body first and then the lens I have will be as good? I'm thinking of selling all lenses, apart from the 50mm prime, and then either keeping the sigma, or upgrading to a tamron or canon. Is this a wise move, or is the sigma as good? Reviews seem to favour the tamron/canon, but I just don't know!

Sorry is above seems silly, I just don't know what to do... whether I get the body first, then save money for lens, or get lens, and save money for body!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

In the market for a 2nd hand 5d MkII what should I look out for/avoid? How important is shutter count?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Saw this on a forum.... might give you an idea of how reliable the 5d 2 is usually.

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Ygqc

I have a Canon 5d M2, I use it for touristic photography in the Caribbean mostly. It has already 200.000 actuations. However, the camera works great, but I'm afraid it will stop shutting anytime. I have never replaced the shutter, that's why.
    The sad truth is that I don't need a camera like that for the work I do (sand, water, heat), but I have used it for two years already. I have the chance to sell it. I need some advice. What should I do?, sell it and buy a cheap one, or just keep it and completely destroy it?. By the way, once the shutter is replaced, do you know if it can last another 200000 actuations?.
    Thank you in advance,
    Nicolas.

The 5D2 shutter is rated for 150000 actuations, so you certainly got your money's worth! In cases of extreme use they need an entire mirror box assembly RR, not merely a new shutter. If you sell it, it would be only fair to discount it with the repair and replacement as it is bound to have a short life. Although there are whispers of 5D2 shutters hitting 300,000 cycles. Probably a urban legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've been shooting with my 450d for a good few years now and thinking of upgrading. You can see some of the results in my sig, mind I'm lazy at uploading newer stuff. Wouldn't mind getting something with some decent video recording on it and I'm looking at the 60D. It seems to be sort of a bridge between video and photography or am I wrong? Could someone advise on what sort of direction I could take?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Teferi wrote: »
    I've been shooting with my 450d for a good few years now and thinking of upgrading. You can see some of the results in my sig, mind I'm lazy at uploading newer stuff. Wouldn't mind getting something with some decent video recording on it and I'm looking at the 60D. It seems to be sort of a bridge between video and photography or am I wrong? Could someone advise on what sort of direction I could take?

I went from a 350D to a 60D, and it was a nice increase in usability/ergonomics (mainly cause of the screen on top :D), though not a world of difference in image quality. Mainly went for the 60D due to the being able to use Magic Lantern with video.

If Magic Lantern was available on the 7D, I would have went for that though as the build quality of the 60D still feels like a Super-Rebel. After a couple of months, most of the rubber grip is peeling off. I'd say if it's only a light bit of video use you want and can do without Magic Lantern, save for a 7D (:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Another question on the 5D Mk II, where has them 2nd hand? Cons have none ATM found one but wouldnt mind have a few options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Telchak wrote: »
    I went from a 350D to a 60D, and it was a nice increase in usability/ergonomics (mainly cause of the screen on top :D), though not a world of difference in image quality. Mainly went for the 60D due to the being able to use Magic Lantern with video.

If Magic Lantern was available on the 7D, I would have went for that though as the build quality of the 60D still feels like a Super-Rebel. After a couple of months, most of the rubber grip is peeling off. I'd say if it's only a light bit of video use you want and can do without Magic Lantern, save for a 7D (:

Thanks, I think you're after convincing me to go with the 60D. Magic Lantern looks handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pav

Hi all,

I am due to buy a 2nd had dslr, nikon D90 for my husband, can you please advise me on what to check or be aware off when buying 2nd hand.

I am worried, but can not afford to buy new.

Thanks
    Pav

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Probably the biggest thing to look for is shutter actuation count. Much like a car, this tells you how much the camera has been worked.

Here is some info on what to expect:
    http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d90.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

pav wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am due to buy a 2nd had dslr, nikon D90 for my husband, can you please advise me on what to check or be aware off when buying 2nd hand.

I am worried, but can not afford to buy new.

Thanks
    Pav
    If it is a D90 ask does the gps port work as they are notoriously prone to fault upon the slightest bang. That and of xourse shutter actuation and fault history.

Anybody have any suggestions for a cheap, compact 35mm camera that still has decent quality glass (preferably fixed focal length) and manual exposure?

I'm trying out Kodak Portra 400 with a Canon 1000F at the moment after seeing some great colours and detail from it. Have the benefit of being able to use it with my 50mm 1.8 and 70-200mm 1.4.

Depending how it turns out though, I'd like to have something smaller to use as my carry everywhere camera (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hey!

So I'm thinking of getting my first DSLR camera next week! However, I need some advice. I like taking pictures of scenery and I have a wedding to go to in 2 weeks, so I would like to be able take some nice photos! Basically I'm looking for a good all rounder!

Nikon D3000 OR Canon EOS 1100d have been the ones I have been thinking of getting! (Can get a staff discount in Argos ;))

Anybody got any advice for me on these cameras? I hope to do a photography course over the summer hopefully too.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Hey!

So I'm thinking of getting my first DSLR camera next week! However, I need some advice. I like taking pictures of scenery and I have a wedding to go to in 2 weeks, so I would like to be able take some nice photos! Basically I'm looking for a good all rounder!

Nikon D3000 OR Canon EOS 1100d have been the ones I have been thinking of getting! (Can get a staff discount in Argos ;))

Anybody got any advice for me on these cameras? I hope to do a photography course over the summer hopefully too.

Not really much difference in quality between the two (see here for a basic comparison) besides the D3000 having no liveview or video. Your decision between these two should probably be based on price and whatever feels better in your hand (:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

Im looking for a compact camera with a time lapse mode. Something where I can select the camera to take a photo every 2,5,30 or ,60 seconds without any operator input as I want to mount it on a rc helicopter for aerial photography.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Telchak wrote: »
    Anybody have any suggestions for a cheap, compact 35mm camera that still has decent quality glass (preferably fixed focal length) and manual exposure?

I'm trying out Kodak Portra 400 with a Canon 1000F at the moment after seeing some great colours and detail from it. Have the benefit of being able to use it with my 50mm 1.8 and 70-200mm 1.4.

Depending how it turns out though, I'd like to have something smaller to use as my carry everywhere camera (:

Olympus XA1

You can pick them up off ebay for not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

hammer73 wrote: »
    Im looking for a compact camera with a time lapse mode. Something where I can select the camera to take a photo every 2,5,30 or ,60 seconds without any operator input as I want to mount it on a rc helicopter for aerial photography.

Thanks

Try an app for the iphone. There are a number of timelapse apps out there and phone def lighter than a camera.

Advertisement