Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

If you're going to a chain cafe like Costa that has calories displayed you could go by the 1 syn per 20 calories rule. Otherwise, a Mr Kipling caramel slice is 8 syns so maybe compare to the size of that and calculate from there :)

It's a local small coffee shop! I think I'm going to go for about 8-10 syns just to be safe! And I'll enjoy every mouthful too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wellyd wrote: »
    Could anyone hazard a guess at how many syns would be in a caramel square? It's just a digestive biscuit base with caramel and melted chocolate on top! I meet a friend for tea on a Saturday afternoon and for the last few weeks I've just been boring having tea and I think tomorrow I might have my old usual if it's not too high in syns!
    10-15 syns at a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I vaguely remember getting the syns for the costa ones and they were over the 15 Syns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

It's a local small coffee shop! And I'll enjoy every mouthful too!

Have it and more importantly enjoy it, if you are thinking that much about it just have it & syn it as you think right for it, otherwise you will end up eating other crap and still not being satisfied & probably using even more Syns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I went shopping today to test the waters in Penneys for the first time in about 10+ years.. I am not quite comfortable in the clothes, will need to lose more weight... the jeans are a bit too tight for me but something to work towards. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

martinak89 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Having a party tonight and really want to drink but stay within my syns. My drink for the night is gonna be malibu and diet coke :) If I measure it with a shot glass how many syns is that gonna be?

Thanks ^_^

Oh boy did this plan ever go out the window! Dreading weigh in tonight lol!

martinak89 wrote: »
    Oh boy did this plan ever go out the window! Dreading weigh in tonight lol!

Tell me about it - I've had a very social 10 days or so, had at least one drink every day (I'm not usually much of a drinker), and neared or exceeded my syns total every day... also finding it harder to drink enough water now the weather is colder! From today I'm officially back to my usual hermit ways, so even though I'll undoubtedly have a gain when I weigh in tomorrow evening, I'm determined to lose every week til Christmas! I've a wedding between Christmas and New Year so that's a pretty good incentive to keep on plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

The thing about exercise is that it is hard to lose weight by exercise alone. Each 1lb you want to lose is about 3500 calories, check out your activities . A120lb person burns 65 calories per mile, walking, so they need to walk 53 miles per pound! Heavier people use more, but you see the point.

Exercise does develop muscle which is heavier than fat, this could mask your dieting weight loss to some extent.

Having said all that, I think it's of course important that you exercise for your mental and physical health, but unless you do a lot, it will only marginally affect your weight. So do it, in moderation, you will feel so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

dee_mc wrote: »
    Had a gorgeous, 100% SW friendly dinner today - newsflash: butternut squash is much nicer roasted in frylight than with real oil! Hack it into wedges, fire a few unpeeled garlic cloves in the recesses, spray away, roast for 30 minutes and boom, yummy wintery vegginess when you can't hack the thought of another salad :D
    (PS I may have refound my SW mojo!)

I must try that, what temperature and how long? I use it in soups, though I must admit that I find peeling it very tedious. I finally settled on peeling like a turnip, carving lumps off it, then finishing it, after the hard shell has gone, with a vegetable peeler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Vahevala wrote: »
    I went shopping today to test the waters in Penneys for the first time in about 10+ years.. I am not quite comfortable in the clothes, will need to lose more weight... the jeans are a bit too tight for me but something to work towards. :)

Penneys are such a bad fit...esp the jeans!!so don't beat yourself up!!its great to have a goal though

• Advertisement

hbonbr wrote: »
    I must try that, what temperature and how long? I use it in soups, though I must admit that I find peeling it very tedious. I finally settled on peeling like a turnip, carving lumps off it, then finishing it, after the hard shell has gone, with a vegetable peeler.

I do it at around 210 for 30 to 45 minutes - until it's done, basically! You could do it lower for longer, of course. After many years of wrestling with butternut squash (and several sneaky 'under the fingernail' cuts, ouch!) I've come to the conclusion that life is too short for peeling it - you can scoop it out of the skin fairly easily once it's cooked, or you can eat the skin if it's soft enough. Packed with fibre, of course.

Rfrip wrote: »
    Penneys are such a bad fit...esp the jeans!!so don't beat yourself up!!its great to have a goal though

Thank you, where would people recommend getting jeans from?

Thank you, where would people recommend getting jeans from?

Tesco and New Look can be great low cost options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Tesco and New Look can be great low cost options :)

Yeah I agree, one of my fave pair of jeans at the mo are tesco ones. I love next aswell.
    Go for high waisted jeans, so much more flattering. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Made the cumin spiced falafel for dinner last night from the SW website- yum! Bit dry though- anyone tried these? Fixed it by making tzatziki but would prefer to amend the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

I was only down half a pound this morning I'm so annoyed! And last week I really made an effort to make different receipes from slimming world. I can't understand how it was so little. I had my star week last week when I lost four pounds so I'm a bit confused as it should be the other way around! This is only my second week I was hoping for more. Can anyone give me pointers or tips or tricks to help me on my way

ja1986 wrote: »
    I was only down half a pound this morning I'm so annoyed! And last week I really made an effort to make different receipes from slimming world. I can't understand how it was so little. I had my star week last week when I lost four pounds so I'm a bit confused as it should be the other way around! This is only my second week I was hoping for more. Can anyone give me pointers or tips or tricks to help me on my way

Maybe post a sample of what you eat on a day? How much are you drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Today iv had a two egg omelette with frylite, ham, mushroom, onion, tomato. Had a banana with grapes as snack. Dinner was Shepards pie slimming world with passata etc... I haven't had any hex b yet so il rivita with laughing cow cheese tonight to add some syns too. I have been doing this more or less all last week, being more adventurous with the Sw receipes. I feel like throwing in the towel!

ja1986 wrote: »
    Today iv had a two egg omelette with frylite, ham, mushroom, onion, tomato. Had a banana with grapes as snack. Dinner was Shepards pie slimming world with passata etc... I haven't had any hex b yet so il rivita with laughing cow cheese tonight to add some syns too. I have been doing this more or less all last week, being more adventurous with the Sw receipes. I feel like throwing in the towel!

Maybe you are eating enough. I don't eat Bananas or grapes anymore because I find I don't lose much on that. I eat quite a lot of fruit to snack on. I have better losses when I eat more :)

Are you eating a lot of syns?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ja don't give up. I had one of my best weeks food wise last week but was up half lb as it was star week.
    If you stick to the plan it will pay off so just keep it up.
    I has a melt down few weeks ago but I've been losing steadily since that.

• Advertisement

Well I'm confused but very happy! After all my excesses I was down 3 pounds tonight :) My jeans are feeling looser and I'm looking forward to a 100% food optimising week (christ I sound like a SW advert!) because I know well I got lucky this week :D

I weighed in last night and had a maintain. I was fairly devastated as i thought I'd been on plan. But my consultant was so encouraging and after a quick chat I realised I hadn't actually been eating enough for the last few days. I thought when I didn't lose I'd just crack and go off the rails but here I am eating a huge bowl of strawberries, grapes and blueberries! I think my mindset has finally changed so onwards and downwards for me from now. I know now not to beat myself up for not losing. 19.5lbs in 8 weeks is nothing to frown at!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Finally done it, I have broken into the 16 stone mark. Down 2 and a half this morning, now 16 stone 11 and a half pounds. Aim for next week is to reach my 2 stone weight loss, only one and a half to loose. So happy to have broken the 16 stone mark.

I am still doing my 4 mile walk 5 days a week and the ladies soccer training is great even just for fitness. Haven't felt this good in a long time and I am still enjoying a few drinks at the weekend, although that I have no longing for sweet thing or crisps etc which is a huge help.

Finally done it, I have broken into the 16 stone mark. Down 2 and a half this morning, now 16 stone 11 and a half pounds. Aim for next week is to reach my 2 stone weight loss, only one and a half to loose. So happy to have broken the 16 stone mark.

I am still doing my 4 mile walk 5 days a week and the ladies soccer training is great even just for fitness. Haven't felt this good in a long time and I am still enjoying a few drinks at the weekend, although that I have no longing for sweet thing or crisps etc which is a huge help.

Well done, jeepers you are doing great. :)

I bought new trainers so I haven't been walking, nursing two sore heels :( but slowly improving thanks to the blister plasters...

Could anyone please explain how I'd go about booking a holiday? I've been offered a few days work away and I won't have a chance to get back for weigh in on Monday. Is it too late to book now or should I just skip the week and pay double the week after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Could anyone please explain how I'd go about booking a holiday? I've been offered a few days work away and I won't have a chance to get back for weigh in on Monday. Is it too late to book now or should I just skip the week and pay double the week after?

Can you contact your leader?

So happy again tonight!! I lost 3 lbs tonight so on SW that means I have lost 1 stone 10.5 lbs in 10 weeks In total (including weight lost prior to SW) I have lost 3 stone 8 lbs so far and I am the lowest I have weighed in years.. :D

I can't believe I am 3 lbs away from weighing 13 stone something, bearing in mind that I started at 17 stone 10 lbs... amazing to me.

So happy again tonight!! I lost 3 lbs tonight so on SW that means I have lost 1 stone 10.5 lbs in 10 weeks In total (including weight lost prior to SW) I have lost 3 stone 8 lbs so far and I am the lowest I have weighed in years.. :D

I can't believe I am 3 lbs away from weighing 13 stone something, bearing in mind that I started at 17 stone 10 lbs... amazing to me.

Give yourself a serious pat on the back, you are doing so well! It's such an amazing feeling to be in control and see the scales give you good news every week isn't it :)

Give yourself a serious pat on the back, you are doing so well! It's such an amazing feeling to be in control and see the scales give you good news every week isn't it :)

Thanks so much, I am so determined this time, the group gives me such a focus and the best thing is I am really enjoying myself. I so badly want this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hi everyone, I went to my first Slimming World class with a friend this week and I have to say, I'm quite confused! The leader seemed to spend the whole class going on on and on about ideas to use up your syns, but in terms of actual real food, what are you supposed to eat all day?! Am I right in thinking it's basically a low fat diet?

I am not knocking it at all, seems to work extremely well for a large number of people, I just don't understand the meal structure? I need someone to say- "Here's what you can have for breakfast, lunch, dinner", etc. What really throws me is that some things only have syns if you're eating them in addition to your main food intake for the day??

Could someone shed light on how you structure your meals?

Also I wasn't mad keen on the fact that she was talking about Flumps as a treat for about 10 minutes, rather than focussing on everything in moderation... :-/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement