Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Food Intolerance Testing

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm just back from a 10 day business trip, 1 of the days I was in absolute bits, stomach in complete bits, no energy and I had the sweats majorly. The fact that I was in a very hot climate with buffet breakfasts, beer most evenings and fancy dinners every night didn't help. After a night of not being able to keep my eyes open after 8 and waking up numerous times with the air con on full whack but in a pool of sweat I figured I'd start with breakfast. I cut out breads/dough for breakfast, stick to basic meals when out and whiskey when socializing (in my line of work you have to have a drink really). I noticed a couple of days later I was right as rain again.

Anyway, just back as I said and my results are back. I've shown up as reacting to Cows Milk, Wheat, Egg White, Gluten, Egg Yolk, Yeast and Peanut with a borderline reaction to Grape (Merlot). This mostly makes sense, for example, if I was to have a full latte I'd be in bits but a skinny latte I'd be alright (if you saw me you'd laugh to hear me order a skinny anything). The eggs are a surprise as are the peanuts, the Peanuts do make sense however as when I was away I was eating a lot of them with beer, they'd just give you a bowl with your beer and they go very well together.

My plan now is to get over my jet lag and call the offices tomorrow, I got a card with my details with a number to ring to arrange my first consultation, there's also a bit of literature with it for me to read, I'm too tired to do it now but I'll let you know what I find later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm just back from a 10 day business trip, 1 of the days I was in absolute bits, stomach in complete bits, no energy and I had the sweats majorly. The fact that I was in a very hot climate with buffet breakfasts, beer most evenings and fancy dinners every night didn't help. After a night of not being able to keep my eyes open after 8 and waking up numerous times with the air con on full whack but in a pool of sweat I figured I'd start with breakfast. I cut out breads/dough for breakfast, stick to basic meals when out and whiskey when socializing (in my line of work you have to have a drink really). I noticed a couple of days later I was right as rain again.

Anyway, just back as I said and my results are back. I've shown up as reacting to Cows Milk, Wheat, Egg White, Gluten, Egg Yolk, Yeast and Peanut with a borderline reaction to Grape (Merlot). This mostly makes sense, for example, if I was to have a full latte I'd be in bits but a skinny latte I'd be alright (if you saw me you'd laugh to hear me order a skinny anything). The eggs are a surprise as are the peanuts, the Peanuts do make sense however as when I was away I was eating a lot of them with beer, they'd just give you a bowl with your beer and they go very well together.

My plan now is to get over my jet lag and call the offices tomorrow, I got a card with my details with a number to ring to arrange my first consultation, there's also a bit of literature with it for me to read, I'm too tired to do it now but I'll let you know what I find later.

It's good that you found that out but I wouldn't praise the food test. The allergens you've mentioned are the most common allergens. Not belittling it or anything but be careful to praise the test results. If I said I can tell from your writing that you're a white Irish male you wouldn't be impressed because that is statistically massively likely.

Milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybean make up 90% of food allergens. That covers everything you've listed as your triggers. Hopefully cutting that stuff out works, but if it does it's likely due to statistical probability and not a food test that isn't endorsed by mainstream medicine.

http://farrp.unl.edu/informallbig8

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Hi I'm interested in this as I've got IBS
    How's the food maps diet going for people I'm thinking of going to a dietician for this thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

So i just got a food intolerence test done. Phelonics seems to be my number one intolerence according to this thing. Along with gluten, wheat and lamb...test results attached..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

I went to fitzwilliam food testing this afternoon. I was sent away as they determined that the food testing would make me loose more weight than I needed to (that was not the objective of my visit). I also mentioned to them that i was in the legal profession so they were ultra cautious with me. The result was no test without a GP letter of referral! Thoughts anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

specialCK wrote: »
    I went to fitzwilliam food testing this afternoon. I was sent away as they determined that the food testing would make me loose more weight than I needed to (that was not the objective of my visit). I also mentioned to them that i was in the legal profession so they were ultra cautious with me. The result was no test without a GP letter of referral! Thoughts anyone?

That sounds really dodgy to me!

Had you mentioned any weight issues? It makes no sense - what has elimination of foods got to do with weight loss? The fact they've link the two is a bit worrying, I think...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I forgot about this thread, sorry for not updating.

I have tried to stick to this diet a bit but cutting out bread, peanuts, eggs and dairy where possible. I have to say my innards do feel better, I did have a sandwich a week or so ago and I noticed my stomach was in bits again, so I do think there is something in the bread alright, but I kind of knew that anyway.

I haven't rang for my consultations yet, I must get around to that actually.

My weight is fine. I am lean. The nurse in charge said he didn't want to go ahead without a referral letter as what often happens is weight loss if you eliminate certain foods and my weight in his opinion was absolutely fine. However, that was not the objective the visit. I experience certain skin reactions to diary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Having completed the FODMAPS diet, I would definitely recommend to anyone who has or thinks they have IBS to get to a nutritionist and start on the plan.

It's 6-8 weeks of avoiding all FODMAPs and gradual reintroduction, to see how you feel after certain foods.

For me, it was garlic and apples. GARLIC! :O I haven't stopped eating it completely, but I know what to expect when I do.

Nothing else works, everyone is different. I'm yet to find someone who did an 'allergy test' and wasn't told to reduce gluten and dairy..

I decided to be bold on Saturday and have soup and a roll for lunch followed by a pastry, no real other difference in my diet, oh my good god I won't be doing that again, all the old symptoms back again, I even thought I was going to get sick on Saturday night, was doubled over in pain yesterday. And no it wasn't food poisoning as my wife had exactly the same lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I decided to be bold on Saturday and have soup and a roll for lunch followed by a pastry, no real other difference in my diet, oh my good god I won't be doing that again, all the old symptoms back again, I even thought I was going to get sick on Saturday night, was doubled over in pain yesterday. And no it wasn't food poisoning as my wife had exactly the same lunch.

Yeah, same happens to me with wheat. Only happened in the last year. It's a nuisance! I found it's much, much worse if you even look at alcohol after having wheat so if you do cave in again, don't do that...

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, same happens to me with wheat. Only happened in the last year. It's a nuisance! I found it's much, much worse if you even look at alcohol after having wheat so if you do cave in again, don't do that...

I did have a few beers Friday night, so that might explain why it was so much worse, good to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did have a few beers Friday night, so that might explain why it was so much worse, good to know.

If you are reacting to bread you might have to stop the beer as well!! Or get the special brands

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you are reacting to bread you might have to stop the beer as well!! Or get the special brands

Not Budweiser then, great :)

Beer on it's own isn't bad, just a bad hangover really

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

You should be careful when eating out also. Always ask the waiter to check with the chef when ordering as a lot of sauces can contain gluten. When eating out you also run the risk of cross contamination if for instance chips (which are ok) are cooked in the same oil as say battered fish etc. - then you're in trouble.

Also, your tests results came back saying avoid cow's milk but I would test this to make sure it isn't just cow's milk - it could be dairy entirely. Try drinking a pint of normal milk one day vs a pint of Alpro unsweetened almond milk another day and see how you feel. You may need to exclude butter, cream, cheese etc. from your diet, like my girlfriend does. She is both gluten and dairy intolerant and experiences nausea, extreme bloating and tummy pain if she eats the wrong foods.

Lactase tablets can combat the effect of lactose contained in dairy but sadly there is nothing you can do about gluten except stop eating it and hope that your system improves over the years.

Dairy isn't really a problem, but now that I think about it there was cream on the pastry I had on Saturday which wouldn't have helped. I've cut out dairy out of everything except tea/coffee, if it's a decent coffee I'll take it black, if taking milk I make sure it's low fat as well. I noticed for my daughter's birthday I had some cake with cream and I was in bits after it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lads got the results of the food intolerance test, I used to feel tired after dinner every day so I got tested. I dont have problems in the stool department or get pains but I got a small rash lately in the neck which could be work related (chemical handling), anyway I have high intollerance to egg white, cows milk, wheat, nuts and chocolate. What ye think should I give them up??

might as well give them up completely for a few weeks then gradually reintroduce one at a time

Yeah, what Bluewolf said, you might also get some advice from the company you did the test with as to what best to do for your particular result set.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Having completed the FODMAPS diet, I would definitely recommend to anyone who has or thinks they have IBS to get to a nutritionist and start on the plan.

It's 6-8 weeks of avoiding all FODMAPs and gradual reintroduction, to see how you feel after certain foods.

For me, it was garlic and apples. GARLIC! :O I haven't stopped eating it completely, but I know what to expect when I do.

Nothing else works, everyone is different. I'm yet to find someone who did an 'allergy test' and wasn't told to reduce gluten and dairy..

So much this. FODMAPs is the ONLY proven dietary intervention to alleviate IBS. Those intolerance tests are bunk and unfortunately expensive bunk.

I've never known anyone not to come back with the same common list of foods as has been mentioned on the thread. Those antibodies are a record of what you have been eating, not what you are intolerant to.

I bet a lot of people out there who think it's gluten can tolerate spelt bread just fine (barring coeliac of course). Spelt has gluten but no fructans which is the fodmap that causes a lot of people with IBS to flare. Try it out and see if you notice a difference, if you do, try the fodmaps properly, it's quite restrictive but it get's easier as you introduce different foods.

For me it was wheat, onions and garlic. aka fructans.

Also what is hugely helpful in IBS C and D is to temporarily counter inflammation in the bowel during a flare by taking krill oil and vitamin D. This has changed my life on days when I'm going through a stage where it seems like I'm reacting to everything I eat.

• Advertisement

So much this. FODMAPs is the ONLY proven dietary intervention to alleviate IBS. Those intolerance tests are bunk and unfortunately expensive bunk.

I agree with you completely, there is no medical grounds for these tests or their findings, in fact the test behind them just highlights stuff you are eating, for me (and other's I'm sure) they are an extremely useful guideline. For example, I knew that there was something in some breads that would make me come out in a rash, I knew if I had a lot of full fat milk I wouldn't feel great, but I never thought of eggs and peanuts. I'd often have a packet of peanuts with a few pints and I'd be in bits the next day, now by cutting out the peanuts I don't feel so bad, boiled eggs are a thing of the past, I'm avoiding cream as well.

It might seem an awful waste of money for a guideline for what I'm sure most people would see as common sense, but for me it's putting sense to feeling like cr@p and having no energy for a few days for no reason.

Hi fellas, i was onto my doctor yesterday and he tells me that this food intolerance / allergy test can be done "for free" in James' Hospital. Happy days. I will keep ye posted, once I have the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I bet a lot of people out there who think it's gluten can tolerate spelt bread just fine (barring coeliac of course). Spelt has gluten but no fructans which is the fodmap that causes a lot of people with IBS to flare. Try it out and see if you notice a difference, if you do, try the fodmaps properly, it's quite restrictive but it get's easier as you introduce different foods.

For me it was wheat, onions and garlic. aka fructans.
    I agree with you completely, there is no medical grounds for these tests or their findings, in fact the test behind them just highlights stuff you are eating, for me (and other's I'm sure) they are an extremely useful guideline. For example, I knew that there was something in some breads that would make me come out in a rash, I knew if I had a lot of full fat milk I wouldn't feel great, but I never thought of eggs and peanuts. I'd often have a packet of peanuts with a few pints and I'd be in bits the next day, now by cutting out the peanuts I don't feel so bad, boiled eggs are a thing of the past, I'm avoiding cream as well.

This caught my attention. I haven't been able to pinpoint out exactly what triggers my rash - just some flour products - never occurred to be it could be different types of flour.

Clareman, were you able to narrow down specific breads that are worse than others?

Are spelt breads even widely available? It would be interesting to try it out. I miss toast and butter :o

juke wrote: »
    This caught my attention. I haven't been able to pinpoint out exactly what triggers my rash - just some flour products - never occurred to be it could be different types of flour.

Clareman, were you able to narrow down specific breads that are worse than others?

Are spelt breads even widely available? It would be interesting to try it out. I miss toast and butter :o

I'm gone a bit healthy, so I'm cutting out breads and pasta, I know it was certain breads from some shops, especially some brown breads that made me come out in a rash. I'm thinking it might be some kind of yeast as well as the flour.

I tried some gluten free breads for lunch and stuff, but to be honest might as well just cut it all out rather than try that stuff.

Hi again all,

Pretty much 2 months down at this stage and I have to say I'm feeling better, not as tired the whole time, sleeping less and the "butterflies" in my stomach are gone. Saying that, I was my works Christmas party on Friday night and I figured I'd just eat what I wanted, I suffered for it yesterday. I had the first session with the nutritionist as well, mainly common sense stuff really, she was night though and wasn't what I expected, I was expecting to be told to only eat salads and tofu, but she listened to me and gave some tips.

I know it's a lot of money and I know (trust me I know) there isn't any proof out there that it works, but for me it has been great and worth every penny. There's an offer going with YorkTest.ie at the moment that you can get a €50 discount through a refer a friend scheme, I'm happy to share my details with anyone who's thinking of doing the test and wants €50 off, PM me for my ID number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

mejulie805 wrote: »

Can you give some info on what was involved. What was the process from your first appointment? How many appointments? what was the total cost?

Can you give some info on what was involved. What was the process from your first appointment? How many appointments? what was the total cost?

Hi,

From my point of view what was involved was ordering a kit. Once it arrives you do a pin prick on a finger and send back a sample, after that they send you your results and you call up to arrange a consultation with 1 of their people. They then go through the results with you and give some advice. Total cost was €350

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hi,

From my point of view what was involved was ordering a kit. Once it arrives you do a pin prick on a finger and send back a sample, after that they send you your results and you call up to arrange a consultation with 1 of their people. They then go through the results with you and give some advice. Total cost was €350

Im confused now. I have already in the past done the Fitzwilliam food test. Is the Fodmap approach not completely different? Does the fodmap require bloodtests also?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Just to clarify a few points.

1. To the poster who said "legally I am a nutritionist", it is important to inform what that means. A dietician is the legally recognised term both in Ireland, UK and many other countries for someone who has a bachelors degree in the science of nutrition. Nutritionist is not a legally defined term. Therefore the poster by saying that legally they are a nutritionist, really what they mean is legally they are NOT a dietician. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist as it has no legal meaning.

2. Medically, people either have food allergies or inability to process specific food items. Food allergies are allergic reactions caused by specific antibodies to specific food components. Other people can have inherited enzyme deficiencies. The alternative food industry has taken this and generalised it to people with bad diets. The most recent fad is the gluten free diet. The thinking being that given certain individuals (coeliacs) have specific antibodies to the gliaden fraction of gluten, which causes specific complaints, including an increased risk of a particular type of bowel tumor, then if we eliminate gluten from healthy people it will also make them feel better. This is false logic. The trend before gluten was lactose. Some people are born with an inability to process lactose (lactosemia). In babies born with this, continued intake of lactose leads to liver failure and delayed development. Again the alternative brigade took this and said well maybe eliminating lactose from people who are born normally also must be good and hence the fad arises.

3. Reading those that have food "intolerances: here, the answer is staring them in the face. For example the poster looking for that magic dietary cure which will change their life. Except, a 10 day business trip, with meals out and alcohol is never going to change that. Its analogous to the diet industry. People want that magic diet, that one simple easy thing to make the weight fall off. Having seen many patients with irregular bowel habits or cramping etc, closer inspection always finds the answer. Many of these will have hectic lives, irregular sleep patterns, too much alcohol, caffeine, processed foods. Eliminating certain particular foods is not the answer. The answer is realising that to feel good you have to look after yourself, try sleep more, reduce the caffeine, eat less food in restaurants (full of salt and sugar). You dont need to pay 350 dollars for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

How do you know if' you're intolerant to certain foods?

Sometimes after meals I have a lot of wind but usually there would be many other symptoms.

Advertisement