Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can I keep cooked chicken?

• 18-11-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I buy those bags of chicken breast pieces from Aldi every week and like to prepare my lunches in advance on a Sunday night. Realistically, how far in the week could I get eating the chicken that was cooked on Sunday evening? Without getting sick!

If I overdid it a bit, what's the worst that can happen?

Would you all come to my funeral?

I also cook some veg and chickpeas with my chicken, I assume the only issue with it going bad is in relation to the chicken?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You should really freeze your dinners if you're cooking batches
    Then all you have to do is defrost and dinner's ready without any worries

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Freeze it.

But if you don't, let it cool, wrap in clingfilm and keep in fridge for no more than 72 hours.

Anything worth claiming should you die?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I should say, they are frozen chicken pieces. So is the advice to cook it, then refreeze it along with the cooked chickpeas and cooked veg (which is also frozen veg)? then take it from the freezer the morning I intend to eat it, let it thaw in the fridge and microwave at lunchtime??

Sunday gone I made a batch for 5 days. Should I give it a go just to see? Realistically is the worst thing that will happen be a few extra toilet breaks? Because it might be worth giving it a go if that's the worst case scenario. At least I'll know then!

Now if salmonella is on the cards, that's a different story!

Has anyone actually successfully pushed chicken out past 3 days?

Anything worth claiming should you die?

Want my cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Tuesday evening in the coldest part of fridge.Wednesday might be chancing it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If they are already frozen, don't refreeze.

I'd just eat all the chicken you made up on Sunday by tomorrow evening. Win-win.

I'll pass on the cat. Devious f*ckers

Volvoair wrote: »
    Tuesday evening in the coldest part of fridge.Wednesday might be chancing it...

Ah no, like I've done 3 days before no problem.

Lads these really aren't the answers I'm looking for, is there nobody more reckless out there? Are all the reckless people dead already from chicken poisoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Ah no, like I've done 3 days before no problem.

Lads these really aren't the answers I'm looking for, is there nobody more reckless out there? Are all the reckless people dead already from chicken poisoning?

I cook off chicken breasts on Sunday and store in fridge straight away..I've used them for lunch until Thursday most weeks..haven't got sick yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Why not buy unfrozen chicken so you can cook and freeze?

I cook off chicken breasts on Sunday and store in fridge straight away..I've used them for lunch until Thursday most weeks..haven't got sick yet..

Excellent. Any reason why you haven't pushed it out until Friday?
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    Why not buy unfrozen chicken so you can cook and freeze?

It's a possibility but the frozen chicken pieces are for convenience. I try eat as good as I can but I factor in convenience everywhere I possibly can. Helps keep the diet sustainable. So to be able to throw 1000g of chicken pieces already prepared in a pot on a sunday evening and cook the whole weeks lunches is incredibly convenient... if possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

Excellent. Any reason why you haven't pushed it out until Friday?

None really ..eat out Fridays for lunch..maybe food safety authority could be definitive on it ..There does seem to be conflicting advice

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I should say, they are frozen chicken pieces. So is the advice to cook it, then refreeze it along with the cooked chickpeas and cooked veg (which is also frozen veg)? then take it from the freezer the morning I intend to eat it, let it thaw in the fridge and microwave at lunchtime??

Sunday gone I made a batch for 5 days. Should I give it a go just to see? Realistically is the worst thing that will happen be a few extra toilet breaks? Because it might be worth giving it a go if that's the worst case scenario. At least I'll know then!

Now if salmonella is on the cards, that's a different story!

Has anyone actually successfully pushed chicken out past 3 days?
    Youre really going to take food poisoning advice from the internet?

Should you just give it a go? What do you expect us to say?

Youve been toldall the sound advice, keeping this thread going till you get someone to say yeah five days is fine, aint gonna happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement