Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

That_Guy wrote: »
    And what's worse, they have the passwords and nobody can change them because PSN is down.

What a catastrophe.

Seeing as the PSN is down, we can't change our passwords, but the hackers cannot access our accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Tallon wrote: »
    Fúcking morons!!!!
    See what I was saying?
    Tallon wrote: »
    I don't have mine to PSN, but I do to boards...
    I'm sure the numbers are comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

hackers should just have made everything in the PSN store €0.00 and let the looting begin, rather than cripple the network, the gob****es

Desire. wrote: »
    Seeing as the PSN is down, we can't change our passwords, but the hackers cannot access our accounts.

Most people would use a few passwords across the net. I have a half dozen or more that I use in conjunction with different email addresses. I don't know which ones I used on PSN so despite the fact I didn't give Sony my CC details there's a chance that other sites that do have my CC details have the same log-in details that will be all over the internet in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Sony Adds PSN Queries fo FAQ Section of Official Site
    Source:PlayStation.com

Q.1 When did you realise the system had been intruded?

We discovered between April 17 and April 19 there was an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network.

Q.2 How did you know that the system was intruded?

We watch for any issues that may be raised with respect to security and monitor for such issues both internally and externally.

Q.3 What is the main reason to this problem? Which parts of the system were vulnerable to the intrusion?

We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation. Since this is an overall security related issue, we will not comment further on this case.

Q.4 What action did you take (are you taking)? Is there any possibility of further unauthorized access?

As soon as we learned of this issue, 1) we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services in order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services, 2) we have also engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened, and 3) quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

Q.5 How many were affected? How many per each region? What is the latest status of PlayStation Network registered account/ operating countries.

Our investigation indicates that all PlayStation Network/ Qriocity accounts may have been affected.

Q.6 Does that mean all users’ information was compromised? Tell us more in details of what personal information leaked.

In terms of possibility, yes. We believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained, including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, it is possible that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

Q.7 Have you notified those users?

We are sending out e-mails directly to these users to their e-mail address registered on the PS Network accounts. Also, we have posted web notices, and additional necessary procedures have been followed by each region.

Q.8 Have you received reports or claims that their PSN ID information/ credit card had been used improperly?

Not at this point in time.

Q.9 I want to know if my account has been affected.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. Additionally, if you use the same user name or password for your PlayStation Network or Qriocity service account for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are back on line, we also strongly recommend that you log on to change your password. For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, postal mail or other scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking.

Q.10 What should I do to prevent any unauthorized use of my (credit card) personal information?

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, postal mail or other scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. Additionally, if you use the same user name or password for your PlayStation Network or Qriocity service account for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are back on line, we also strongly recommend that you log on to change your password. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

Q.11 Since when have PSN/Qriocity become unavailable and in which region?

PSN/Qriocity services have not been available since April 20 (US time) in all regions.

Q.12 How come it is taking so much time to resume the service?

We are taking the investigation seriously. We decided to keep the service down to allow us to conduct a thorough investigation and verify smooth operation of our network services.

Q.13 How serious is this? Have the hackers broken the security on PSN/Qriocity? Are you taking necessary measures to prevent such outage happening in the future?

Since this is an overall security related issue, we will not comment further on this case but we are working to restore and maintain the services, including countermeasures against future intrusions.

Q.14 When will the service resume?

We are taking the investigation seriously. We will keep the service down to allow us to conduct a thorough investigation and verify smooth operation of our network services but are working hard to resume the services as soon as we can be reasonably assured security concerns are addressed.

Q.15 Seems like SOE service was also not available/ suffering outage. Is this true? Is this due to the same reason as the PSN/Qriocity outage?

SOE's service is available although a service interruption due to an external attack did occur. A thorough investigation is ongoing.

Q.16 I want my money back (subscription fee, content) since the PSN/Qriocity was not available.

When the full services are restored and the length of the outage is known, we will assess the correct course of action.

Q.17 There seems to be some games that cannot be played even offline?

Depending on the game titles, but mainly PSN games, some may require access to PSN for trophy sync, security check, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ringing my credit card company in the morning

I dont know about ye, but they're losing a customer in me. I will never buy anything on psn again

They noticed it some time between the 17th and the 19th. They can't be surer than a 3-day window as to when they noticed a problem? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Chavways wrote: »
    Have you not read the new update they released about half an hour ago.They said they will be providing some PSN service next week at the earliest.

I think Tommy was just pointing out that you didn't specify a time and date for the pool :pac:

I'll go with next Tuesday at 3p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fúck knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How can they make comments ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Monday between 5 & 6pm. Just in time for the bank holiday hang over to kick in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Friday at 3:16pm,also disregard any strange transactions on your next Credit Card bills,it is just the hackers having an early christmas.

Headshot wrote: »
    How can they make comments ^^^

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Headshot wrote: »
    Ringing my credit card company in the morning

I dont know about ye, but they're losing a customer in me. I will never buy anything on psn again

Ring the number on your card, they should be open now, most of the major ones will be anyway. Just cancelled mine, you should do it as with my bank its free anyway.

They are generally happy to do it because a new card might cost them a fiver or whatever, but if some fecker runs up a huge bill they mind be liable for a few grand.

This is an unbelievable slip up by Sony, this compromise basically means millions of peoples email accounts may have been compromised as many people have a one for all password. Not to mention the apparent possible theft of peoples Visa numbers stored in Clear text. Once into peoples emails hackers can generally have a free run at all sorts of things, like accounts at sites like amazon with stored CC details.

I hope the EU gives them a serious slap for this, I think its pretty likely as they are big on data protection, but companies need to take this seriously. This wont be the last time this happens either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im gonna cancel mine also, why the f**k did it take sony a full week to get this info out??? twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I think Tommy was just pointing out that you didn't specify a time and date for the pool :pac:

I'll go with next Tuesday at 3p.m.

Well sorry Tommy. Wednesday 4th May at 1pm irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's breaking news on Sky News right now - shows just how serious this thing is. Still struggling to believe that Sony were so incompotent as to not even encrypt this information.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    So glad I used a 3v card!

When I read that comment it reminded me of word spreading among a group of friends that some skag they were all with had a confirmed case of Genital Warts(i.e phew thank god I wore a condom)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Wednesday May 4th!
    (cant wait to quote this with a wink)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And as has been proclaimed, there doth be created a Megathread.

Just to keep things tidy and tha'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cancelling my card on it too (though I've barely ever used it since I don't really play the PS3, I'm not taking any chances)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Day_Sleeper

Think of all the people breaking into nervous sweats and thinking about how there so close to 15 prestige..

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

For those PS3 heads out there just read this,

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/26/us-sony-stoldendata-idUSTRE73P6WB20110426?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&dlvrit=59363

Little help for you all out there with PSN, change your passwords for PSN and your associated e-mails!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is quite serious in its own right. There should be a notice at the top of the games forum's warning people about the details that have been leaked and urging people to changed their email passwords etc

Should be back "within a week." :(

Not two bank-holiday weekends in a row... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

A friend tried to break it down nice and simply for me today, as to what sort of happened:

People were using custom firmware. Sony said no thanks, and stopped them being allowed to get on PSN.

Some group figures out a way with custom firmware to spoof onto the PlaystationNetwork on some sort of developer connection.

People start using it for (non-nefarious) stuff. Then someone notices that the security on this dev. network is rubbish, and sets it up so they can scam the PSN store.

What seems like a long time passes like 3/4 weeks, then Sony realise something is wrong, and bring down PSN.

He wasn't sure where this stuff about data being accessed comes into it (if at all) though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's as simple as this: Sony need to cop the **** on and 'officially' let customers know what, if any, personal information has been gained. There are so many mixed reports and misinformation floating around it's making everything worse. Things need to be sorted out, and in the haste.

Advertisement