Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How annoyed would you be...

• 24-11-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭

...if your motor insurance broker sent out your renewal with a cover letter addressed to you, but the statement of facts are for an entirely different person in a different part of the country, for a completely different car?

I never thought about it until someone said it to me, the other party more than likely has all of MY details posted to them.

Would you be slightly annoyed with a simple office mistake or seriously pissed about a breach of data protection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

...if your motor insurance broker sent out your renewal with a cover letter addressed to you, but the statement of facts are for an entirely different person in a different part of the country, for a completely different car?

I never thought about it until someone said it to me, the other party more than likely has all of MY details posted to them.

Would you be slightly annoyed with a simple office mistake or seriously pissed about a breach of data protection?

I'd be looking for an epic discount in my renewal premium!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

From the 37% it's gone up! As to whether the printed premium is mine or not I have no clue, but it is printed on the cover letter detailing my name and car.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd be reporting it to the data protection commissioner to begin with anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I would be getting over myself, getting down off my high horse and accepting it as a simple error tbh...

I'd agree. They can shove their renewal up their rear end as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd be reporting it to the data protection commissioner to begin with anyway,

A bit over dramatic. It was a mistake which can and do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd make a big deal of it to get a discount, but I wouldn't be going running telling tales to the data protection commissioner.
    Once my bank details aren't on it, I don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

We seem to becoming increasingly intolerant when it comes to innocent human errors that we all probably suffer from at some stage or other. You do realise that the mistake was likely to have been made by some overworked clerk under pressure to get his/her work done before the post left. Hopefully, that's the worst bit of luck you will have for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

you don't even know if the other person has your details....
    you are just guessing...

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

It happened me last year and the first I knew of it was a handwritten letter from a woman sligo explaining she recived my cert and disk and sure as when I checked I had her paperwork, I contacted the broker and was told it was clerical error no discount or sweet fa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a data protection breach, they will take it seriously when reported to them.

Hopefully, that's the worst bit of luck you will have for the rest of the year

Believe you me, this is far from the worst luck I've had this year. I'll be dropping the documents in to them tomorrow and that'll be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I would assume the other person's identity, up to and including killing them and stealing their underwear. Just to prove how serious breaches of data protection stuff is.

I wouldn't be overly bothered tbh, to err is human....

It's a data protection breach, they will take it seriously when reported to them.

Of course they will, but why would you bother? Can they reverse time? What exactly has the OP suffered here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I would be pretty upset and also contacting the Data Protection Commissioner.

While it may be not that big a deal, the person who received that information might not dispose of it correctly and just throw it in the bin.

Then any old person could get it from the rubbish and use it for numerous nefarious purposes.

At the very least I would want all the documentation back from the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Mistakes can happen. I got somebody else's NCT cert and disk in the NCT centre once. It was a good mistake given that my car had failed!! Of course I brought it straight back when I realised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd tell them that by agreeing to do business with you that they had consented to a administration fee of €50 for every change to the policy details.

Turn their usual practice of charging through the nose any time a customer makes a minor/temporary change back on them.

As they have made you a different person with a different address, occupation, car model, engine size, reg, trim level, value.. They now owe you 450 plus re-issuing fee, 500 total.
    ker ching!

Not a hope, but it would be funny to act like you really believed that and keep it up for ages. Its the least most insurers deserve (maybe not the poor minimum wager you're likely to speak to first though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Report it.

Yes, it's a simple mistake, but it shouldn't have happened. You've no idea who now has your information. You've paid for a service with the insurer, and that service must include the correct handling of your information.

Certainly contact a manager and push hard for a discount and be very willing to walk away stating "well if you can't be trusted with the simple clerical details, how could you be trusted when a claim comes through?"

Imagine if your claim details were handled in a similar manner and some other party gets the information about your personal injury or property claim.

Totally unacceptable behaviour on the part of the insurer.

Genuine question here, would you seriously be concerned if somebody else had access to your car make, model, colour, insurer, policy number?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Id say "oh you had a look at the disc in my windscreen?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Genuine question here, would you seriously be concerned if somebody else had access to your car make, model, colour, insurer, policy number?????

I'd be more concerned with my Date of Birth, Home Address, possibly my e-mail address and in some cases the bank account details the company are using for direct debit.

Would be pretty easy with that information to possibly reset an online password using an e-mail address as a login name, or perhaps fool the bank into thinking you are that person.

Or just setup an account somewhere using a household bill.

I'd be more concerned with my Date of Birth, Home Address, possibly my e-mail address and in some cases the bank account details the company are using for direct debit.

Would be pretty easy with that information to possibly reset an online password using an e-mail address as a login name, or perhaps fool the bank into thinking you are that person.

Or just setup an account somewhere using a household bill.
    Be grand like. Nothing someone couldn't do by stalking you, keeping you in a pit and wearing your face as a mask like

biko wrote: »
    Id say "oh you had a look at the disc in my windscreen?"

That was going to be my point :)

Lots of info on display already

That was going to be my point :)

Lots of info on display already

Underwhelming reveal. Do you have a follow up to address the other non public data?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

Underwhelming reveal. Do you have a follow up to address the other non public data?

I could probably figure out their home address based on where they park it at night.:)

Advertisement