Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai on camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

So here's another Garda (off-duty I reckon) demonstrating his poor driving skills around a cyclist on camera.

How do you know he's a garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its that kind of attitude from cyclists I hate. "Wait till you see yourself on youtube!! ~ rambles off license plate number". Deal with it, as both a cyclist and a driver cars do dangerous crap to me the whole time.
    I usually just think "F*cking gob****e" and move along and forget about it.
    That youtube user seems to be a bit obsessed with 40 something videos of the same thing. I just hope he isnt trying to give them a stern talking over in the rest of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thanks for the feedback folks (well, for most of it anyway). I see what you're saying about the colour of the shirt. Maybe it was a bit dark for a Garda. But why would a Dublin Bus driver flash his uniform at me? The only person I can think of who might have a reason to flash their uniform would be a Garda.

I've changed the vid title on Youtube to reflect this lack of certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Thanks for the feedback folks (well, for most of it anyway). I see what you're saying about the colour of the shirt. Maybe it was a bit dark for a Garda. But why would a Dublin Bus driver flash his uniform at me? The only person I can think of who might have a reason to flash their uniform would be a Garda.

As I said on youtube, it'd be better if you called it "motorist cuts off cyclist". Anything else is just speculation and conjecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You just need to get your facts right before you post allegations about other people's professions. That uniform is more like a Security Guards. Also there are good and bad people in every profession, some having good days and some bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Looks like road rage on the part of the cyclist. What was the point in putting himself in danger, between traffic at a busy junction to "have a go" at the motorist?
    Its recorded, yhey have the number, go to the gardai and make a complaint.
    Also.. be aware of your surroundings at all times. Presume the other vehicle has not seen you and act accordingly.

No point being "in the right" if you are dead.

Looks like road rage on the part of the cyclist. What was the point in putting himself in danger, between traffic at a busy junction to "have a go" at the motorist?
    Its recorded, yhey have the number, go to the gardai and make a complaint.
    Also.. be aware of your surroundings at all times. Presume the other vehicle has not seen you and act accordingly.

No point being "in the right" if you are dead.

What part of the actions of the cyclist looks like the aggressive or angry behaviour you get with road rage? :confused:
    You just need to get your facts right before you post allegations about other people's professions. That uniform is more like a Security Guards. Also there are good and bad people in every profession, some having good days and some bad.

You're 100% sure it's a security guard?

And others 100% sure it's a Dublin Bus driver?

It seems like there may be more than one person wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

monument wrote: »

Yeah but the point is we're all 100% sure it's not a Garda uniform.

What part of the actions of the cyclist looks like the aggressive or angry behaviour you get with road rage? :confused:

If anyone came up to me when im in the car in traffic hammering on the window and shouting, I would consider that road rage. It is unacceptable, and unnecessary. If they cut you up, the legal route is via the gardai, you are not the enforcer of the road traffic act.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    Yeah but the point is we're all 100% sure it's not a Garda uniform.

Yes, I agree with your last point on speculation and conjecture, and that the renaming of the video could be better.

If anyone came up to me when im in the car in traffic hammering on the window and shouting, I would consider that road rage. It is unacceptable, and unnecessary. If they cut you up, the legal route is via the gardai, you are not the enforcer of the road traffic act.

I don't think he is shouting, he clearly did not hammer on the window, and he's trying to highlight to the person that they did something wrong, that's not enforcing the road traffic act.

I don't think he is shouting, he clearly did not hammer on the window, and he's trying to highlight to the person that they did something wrong, that's not enforcing the road traffic act.

Whats the point? Do you go up to bank robbers saying "Hey, do you know you are robbing a bank?"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its too blue for a garda uniform but I know security men with that colour of shirt. He also looks too old for a garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

whoever filmed that is a total tosspot by the way,a fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

That is a Dublin Bus shirt the new ones they got issued with, something very similar to Garda shirts, slightly more blue the dub bus one is, and yes it was used to intimidate you in to thinking he was a garda.

Someone is colourblind...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

bluetop wrote: »
    That is a Dublin Bus shirt the new ones they got issued with, something very similar to Garda shirts, slightly more blue the dub bus one is, and yes it was used to intimidate you in to thinking he was a garda.

Date on the film was 1/1/08. When were the new db shirts you refer to issued?

Some dip-dunk wearing a blue shirt and suddenly everyone concludes it's a uniform?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Infracted.

No further comment on this post please and thanks.

whoever filmed that is a total tosspot by the way,a fanny

Rangi wrote: »
    Date on the film was 1/1/08. When were the new db shirts you refer to issued?
    It was filmed this week. It's a cheapo camera that resets to 1/1/08 every time you power it off. And it's a bit of a pain to reset the date/time.
    I guess that's the most likely explanation. I've changed the vid title and description accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

and yes it was used to intimidate you in to thinking he was a garda.

Nonsense....(unless you are the offending driver) and ironic considering your username.
    I guess that's the most likely explanation. I've changed the vid title and description accordingly.

The shirt bears absolutely zero resemblance to a garda uniform other than the fact that he is wearing a shirt. Completely wrong colour altogether.

Maybe he wanted you to know he was a bus driver and so "knows the rules of the road"

He was clearly in the wrong, you know that and we know that. You want to think that he was insinuating he was a garda and that is why this dicussion is here because nothing he did would have even made that thought cross my mind.

Like has been said, report his driving to the local station to where that happened. Go in and make a statement and hand over the video and let a real garda do his job.

• Advertisement

Vikings wrote: »
    You want to think that he was insinuating he was a garda and that is why this dicussion is here because nothing he did would have even made that thought cross my mind.
    Honestly, I have no pre-judged opinion on this. My reaction at the time of the incident was that he must be a Garda. I accept the feedback here about the colour of the shirt. I'm open to persuasion on any reasonable explanation for him to be flashing his shirt at me. The "Maybe he wanted you to know he was a bus driver and so "knows the rules of the road"" just doesn't seem realistic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Honestly, I have no pre-judged opinion on this. My reaction at the time of the incident was that he must be a Garda. I accept the feedback here about the colour of the shirt. I'm open to persuasion on any reasonable explanation for him to be flashing his shirt at me. The "Maybe he wanted you to know he was a bus driver and so "knows the rules of the road"" just doesn't seem realistic to me.

The description in the video still says it's a garda uniform. The title says it's a bus driver uniform. It's probable that neither of these are correct.

It strikes me that the car driver appears too old to be either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

good old rentacrowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

When they tried to get into the room? I agree, some protestors just feel the need to cross the line. It's sad really and does nothing for their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Catchy chants though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Skip ahead to 6:04
    that man have a lovely bounce :D

deadwood wrote: »
    Catchy chants though!

Champagne? OK!

Can't argue with that logic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

It's things like this that put me off being wanting to be a guard. I do feel sorry for those members that don't like being put in that position and probably do share the same opinions as the protesters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement