Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recording DIY services in Log Book?

• 23-11-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

So I bought a 4 year old car with a full dealer service history.
    I will be doing all work on the car myself hereafter.
    I am thinking of recording my DIY services in the log book same as what a garage does.
    I will keep receipts of all parts purchased as well.
    This way the car will have all work recorded in the log book but without official stamps from a garage.
    Any thoughts on this? part of me says that only a garage should write stuff in a log book.

edit: I should say 'service book' instead of 'log book'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I am assuming you mean the service book and not the log book as in tax book. You can write the services in the service book obviously you wont have a dealer stamp but once you keep the receipts to back it up. I would write in it myself when servicing my car myself and just keep receipts. The whole point of it is for service history and while your service won't be as verifiable they are still services part of the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I've done this with loads of my cars, I just make sure that I keep all receipts (and write the mileage on the receipts too).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭blackbox

I do it too - mainly for my own records so that I know when to do it next. I could record it somewhere else, but why not use the book provided for this purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

DIY myself and the service book is the right place to record services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I do nearly all my own servicing and write it all in the service book.

I fill out the task, mileage and date.

I don't see why you would be in the slightest bit concerned about filling it out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Fill it in and keep the receipts for the parts and that is absolutely great for the history. I would be delighted to see a service book like that in a potential trade in. Would make a pleasant change from the usual case of either a blank or lost service book.

Advertisement