Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What's happening for St Patrick's Day so?

• 07-03-2012 4:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

Been pretty disappointed with Galway every Paddy's Day to be honest. There's usually a plethora of crap bands on, playing music nothing to do with the theme of the day and it tends to just be a generic piss up rather than a celebration of Irish culture (don't say it:pac:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭squonk

That's everywhere OP! Same in Dublin when I was up there. I think the day should be renamed St. Buckfast's Day by the looks of things!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

London and Glasgow both have several Irish bands and events on the 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There should be news on http://stpatricksgalway.com soon

The March 17th Parade starts at 11:30 am at Dominic street and will head towards Shop street and Eyre square before finishing around Prospect Hill at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,547 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Been pretty disappointed with Galway every Paddy's Day to be honest. There's usually a plethora of crap bands on, playing music nothing to do with the theme of the day and it tends to just be a generic piss up rather than a celebration of Irish culture (don't say it:pac:).

What would you like to see?

What sort of music would you like to see bands playing that represents aspects of Irish culture? (your average Irish musician is NOT keen to play Field of Athenry ever again, as far as I can see!)

Every time I've been to church here on St Patrick's day (meaning of the day and all), either everything or a fair bit of it has been in Irish.

I've been to three parades in Galway, and one in a small town in Mayo.

The Galway ones were bigger and more colourful, with larger numbers of national school kids murdering Peg Ryans, the Newmarket and Britches Full of Stitches. Granted there were various other cultural groups sharing aspects of their culture too, usually wrapped in green. But there were ads in the paper a few weeks back, looking for organisations to get involved in the parade - do you know anyone who took the offer up?

JustMary wrote: »
    What would you like to see?

What sort of music would you like to see bands playing that represents aspects of Irish culture? (your average Irish musician is NOT keen to play Field of Athenry ever again, as far as I can see!)
    Well that is the only Irish folk song after all :rolleyes:
    Every time I've been to church here on St Patrick's day (meaning of the day and all), either everything or a fair bit of it has been in Irish.
    That's a nice touch. Cult gatherings aren't really my scene though.
    I've been to three parades in Galway, and one in a small town in Mayo.

The Galway ones were bigger and more colourful, with larger numbers of national school kids murdering Peg Ryans, the Newmarket and Britches Full of Stitches. Granted there were various other cultural groups sharing aspects of their culture too, usually wrapped in green. But there were ads in the paper a few weeks back, looking for organisations to get involved in the parade - do you know anyone who took the offer up?
    Not really bothered about the parade. Just want a few tunes really. Was just pretty disappointed most years when all the bands booked for pubs were Keywest variants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

For any rugby fans the Glynn Cup between Galweigans and Corinthians will be on all day at Crowley Park in Glenina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

f1dan wrote: »
    For any rugby fans the Glynn Cup between Galweigans and Corinthians will be on all day at Crowley Park in Glenina

All day?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Crowley Park in Glenina
    Is that Galwegian's grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is that Galwegian's grounds?
    Yes.

Well that is the only Irish folk song after all :rolleyes:

That's a nice touch. Cult gatherings aren't really my scene though.

Not really bothered about the parade. Just want a few tunes really. Was just pretty disappointed most years when all the bands booked for pubs were Keywest variants.
    So its bands in pubs that you want? You said its just a piss up of a day though which to me sounded like you didnt want to be involved in that aspect of it? You also said it should be more about the meaning of the day, which if im not mistaken is our patron saint which is religious, but you dont do religion? Confused much!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Occupy Galway are going to have a huge party in Eyre Square, with Cllrs Padraig Conneely and Ollie Crowe as MCs and stand-up comedians.

Bring your pyjamas for a sleepover, with Cllr Terry O'Flaherty doing a decade of the rosary at midnight. And there might be an Occupation of Supermac's if people are pished enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Yes.
    Well i've learned something! Thanks Ben!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

celty wrote: »
    Occupy Galway are going to have a huge party in Eyre Square, with Cllrs Padraig Conneely and Ollie Crowe as MCs and stand-up comedians.
    Bring your pyjamas for a sleepover, with Cllr Terry O'Flaherty doing a decade of the rosary at midnight. And there might be an Occupation of Supermac's if people are pished enough ;)

:D
    Just in case anyone wants to prepare there's a flash mob céili in Eyre Square at 2pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm going in with my 4 year old daughter. Any 'best' spots to stand at to get best view of the parade?

Confused much!!!!
    Sorry if I've confused you. Allow me to explain in simpler terms.
    So its bands in pubs that you want? You said its just a piss up of a day though which to me sounded like you didnt want to be involved in that aspect of it?
    I described it as a "generic piss up", in other words just a day of drinking and going to a nightclub, no different to any other day only busier. I've no problem with getting blotto, in fact I'm quite good at it, but given the day that's in it I'd like a bit of music and that.
    You also said it should be more about the meaning of the day, which if im not mistaken is our patron saint which is religious, but you dont do religion?
    Being lucky enough to grow up in a secular household, the day never had Catholic connotations, it was more a cultural celebration. Music, food, drink etc.

Sorry if I've confused you. Allow me to explain in simpler terms.

I described it as a "generic piss up", in other words just a day of drinking and going to a nightclub, no different to any other day only busier. I've no problem with getting blotto, in fact I'm quite good at it, but given the day that's in it I'd like a bit of music and that.

Being lucky enough to grow up in a secular household, the day never had Catholic connotations, it was more a cultural celebration. Music, food, drink etc.
    See now if you said that kind of stuff in your original post then people could have suggested more appropriate things.

There will be music in all the usual spots, so what exactly do you want that isnt currently catering for your musical needs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Cant wait, next week is Cheltenham and then st pats, going to get **** faced for the week.

There will be music in all the usual spots, so what exactly do you want that isnt currently catering for your musical needs?
    Bit of traditional St Patrick's Day Ska or 2Tone I reckon

Bit of traditional St Patrick's Day Ska or 2Tone I reckon
    Ah i see, so basically you had no initial point then!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

jenno86 wrote: »
    All day?

Yep. The two clubs play against each other at every age group from under 7's up to the seniors. The club that has the most points at the end of the day wins the cup. See here for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yep. The two clubs play against each other at every age group from under 7's up to the seniors. The club that has the most points at the end of the day wins the cup. See here for more info.

jaysus that sounds like right craic altogether!! Great idea! Few tins and a bit of stew and you would be sorted, unfortunatley working in the service trade i am looking at a torrent of abuse for the whole day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

RINO87 wrote: »
    jaysus that sounds like right craic altogether!! Great idea! Few tins and a bit of stew
    Take it easy on the stew. The amount of young lads getting rowdy after a bit of oxtail is the usual down Spanish Arch on Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

There will be some authentic traditional irish music on St. Patricks Day - come to here
    OGMA play at The Skeff or Eyre Square Hotel, 7pm:
    http://www.culturefox.ie/event/traditional-irish-music-and-song/8342.aspx
    http://www.culturefox.ie/event/traditional-irish-music-and-song/8343.aspx
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Much reason to celebrate.
    FG Cllr Conneely to boycott city parade
    “If that shanty town is there on St Patrick’s Day I will not be in the reviewing stand,” he said. “I wouldn’t lower myself. No one would get away with this in any other city.” http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/50260/occupy-galway-shanty-town-not-going-anywhere-before-the-parade

snubbleste wrote: »
    Much reason to celebrate. FG Cllr Conneely to boycott city parade
    “If that shanty town is there on St Patrick’s Day I will not be in the reviewing stand,” he said. “I wouldn’t lower myself. No one would get away with this in any other city.” http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/50260/occupy-galway-shanty-town-not-going-anywhere-before-the-parade

Indeed it does sound like a reason to leave the camp in place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Ah i see, so basically you had no initial point then!!!!
    He did have a point really, if thats what he wanted to hear! The specials, The Clash and the Pogues used to do St. Patrick's Day gigs together, 2tone-ska Paddy's Day

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm going in with my 4 year old daughter. Any 'best' spots to stand at to get best view of the parade?
    Not really, get in early and she can stand with the other kids in front of everyone.
    No-one objects to that as they're small :)

Re what's on:

Sources tell me that Occupy Galway are planning to run a variety of children's activities (drumming, facepainting, some other stuff), and show some movies for adults in their "meeting room".

Location = big tent, Eyre Square - assuming they're still there on Saturday morning.

I must say that Cllr Connelley's pronouncements this week have made me rather more sympathetic toward OG's presence ;)

Re what's on:

Sources tell me that Occupy Galway are planning to run a variety of children's activities (drumming, facepainting, some other stuff), and show some movies for adults in their "meeting room".

Location = big tent, Eyre Square - assuming they're still there on Saturday morning.

I must say that Cllr Connelley's pronouncements this week have made me rather more sympathetic toward OG's presence ;)
    As in 'adult movies'? jees maybe the 99% might actually start supporting them now so.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Indeed it does sound like a reason to leave the camp in place :)

My point all along, Mary ... if the hippies are annoying Conneely and the Crowe brothers they must be doing something right!

It will kill Conneely, though, not to be on the viewing platform in case there are any photographers or TV crews around. Watching the parade just won't be the same if he can't stick his mug in front of some lens somehwhere :D

Advertisement