Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

stevire wrote: »
    Yeah the Espace is a great resource! Only problem I have with the seat is that the swivel handle is too close to the handbrake... Another item on the self-build todo list!

I have the very same problem. Its on my er.... to do list to! Yeah!

Did you end up putting the drivers seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver side to get them to swivel in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Did you end up putting the drivers seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver side to get them to swivel in the right direction?

The seats were one of the few things that came with the van! The drivers side swivels around to the left and armrest is on the left (which would be the drivers seat of the Espace?) and passenger swings to the right / armrest on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 micos

Hi All,
    Quick question , passed doe for my 1990 campervan, went to get the cert in motor tax office and was told the software hasnt been updated yet and could only be issued for a year and to come back in a few months for a free of charge 2 year cert.
    was previously told its a yearly test so slightly confused now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Pjwal wrote: »
    niloc1951 wrote: »
    I have attached an excellent article covering the whole area of changing the GVW (MAM).

During correspondence with the RSA during November 2010 they confirmed to me that the type of operation mentioned in the article, when carried by a competent and authorised person (like SV Tech), is wholly acceptable to them (the RSA), as it is to equivalent organisations elsewhere within the EU.

Any refusal to allow such an operation on the vehicle of an Irish resident would be contrary to the Free Movement of Goods and Services Directive.

Ok. I appolagise and I am standing corrected. But once again, this information has never been passed on to the test centres from the rsa.

No worries... It ain't very clear.
    I just realised I've a copy of a RSA mail stating that it's OK once done by a competent person/body.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

i v done this operation, you make them the other way, but you need good use of the angle grinder, but its worth it to have arm rests to the inside as you have the door as an arm rest on the outside, you need to unbolt all the retractable seat belt gear and grind off all the metal work its attarched to and a bit that goes in under the seat. then turn the seat up side down and work the swivel and you will see the lugs that stop it turning the other way and cut them off. its all do able it doesnt take too much from the seat afterwards even though you cant attatch the plastic cover at the side any more. i also had to bend out the hand brake lever a bit with a pipe to be able to use the drivers one, worked a treat.
    ford galaxey seats also do the trick but in the old ducato/peugeot/citroen, you do need to cut down the pedistal boxes that the seats sit on as they are a thicker seat and dont leave enough clearence between the seat and the steering wheel or a tall guys head and the roof lining, but not too big a job, unless you have water tanks under your seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

micos wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Quick question , passed doe for my 1990 campervan, went to get the cert in motor tax office and was told the software hasnt been updated yet and could only be issued for a year and to come back in a few months for a free of charge 2 year cert.
    was previously told its a yearly test so slightly confused now!

Exact same thing happened me. My van (and yours) is over 10 years old and so needs a yearly test. The people in the tax office seem to think that campers only need to be tested every 2 years. The guy who gave me my cert said that my cert was valid for 2 years even though it said one on the cert. I emailed them a few days later and they said it was a mistake and they'd be briefing all staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Exact same thing happened me. My van (and yours) is over 10 years old and so needs a yearly test. The people in the tax office seem to think that campers only need to be tested every 2 years. The guy who gave me my cert said that my cert was valid for 2 years even though it said one on the cert. I emailed them a few days later and they said it was a mistake and they'd be briefing all staff.

I had no trouble at the Castlebar office.
    Woman looked at my cert and said straight away, in a very friendly way, " don't forget it's every year for you now".

I had no trouble at the Castlebar office.
    Woman looked at my cert and said straight away, in a very friendly way, " don't forget it's every year for you now".

they taxed mine without the doe cert, my wife did it in line when the reminder came in. so i still have the test center pass cert. i know i need to hand it in so that its intered on the the garda database, but i thought the whole idea was that you needed it to tax it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

they taxed mine without the doe cert, my wife did it in line when the reminder came in. so i still have the test center pass cert. i know i need to hand it in so that its intered on the the garda database, but i thought the whole idea was that you needed it to tax it

Guess it's different from tax office to tax office and who you get. I wasn't allowed to re-register and tax mine without a DOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

i v done this operation, you make them the other way, but you need good use of the angle grinder, but its worth it to have arm rests to the inside as you have the door as an arm rest on the outside, you need to unbolt all the retractable seat belt gear and grind off all the metal work its attarched to and a bit that goes in under the seat. then turn the seat up side down and work the swivel and you will see the lugs that stop it turning the other way and cut them off. its all do able it doesnt take too much from the seat afterwards even though you cant attatch the plastic cover at the side any more. i also had to bend out the hand brake lever a bit with a pipe to be able to use the drivers one, worked a treat.
    ford galaxey seats also do the trick but in the old ducato/peugeot/citroen, you do need to cut down the pedistal boxes that the seats sit on as they are a thicker seat and dont leave enough clearence between the seat and the steering wheel or a tall guys head and the roof lining, but not too big a job, unless you have water tanks under your seats.

No need to go to such extremes. I swapped the swivel bases around on mine. There are four bolts holding it in. I had to undo the catches that hold the seat base in and lift up the sponge and the cover. Once I did that, bob's yer uncle and jobs a good 'un

• Advertisement

I was only changing pass cert for a roadworthiness cert. Tax is not due until later in year and then I'll be doing it on line as usual. I hope.

No need to go to such extremes. I swapped the swivel bases around on mine. There are four bolts holding it in. I had to undo the catches that hold the seat base in and lift up the sponge and the cover. Once I did that, bob's yer uncle and jobs a good 'un

oh right, yes i can picture that, but i had an extra goal to achieve, which was for the passenger seat to go both ways as the passenger(my sister inlaw) is disabled and its much easier for her getting in and out, but i ll remember what you said if i do any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Tested my '80s Talbot Express today it failed :( because of the head lights ... guts of €200 for new headlights off ebay, but a least thats all - buy them fit them sorted.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Tested my '80s Talbot Express today it failed :( because of the head lights ... guts of €200 for new headlights off ebay, but a least thats all - buy them fit them sorted.

What was the problem with the lights?

I've always thought that the headlights on my '86 camper were a little on the dim side but it's always passed the test.

What was the problem with the lights

One headlights chrome/mirror inside is rusty both have faded glass and both are aligned really badly with no adjusters - on top of the very poor light even though I upgraded the bulbs to Osram nightbreakers. The test centre www.m50truckandvancentre.com (very nice, helpful people) is going to install the new ones and align them correctly for me when I go for the re-test.

One headlights chrome/mirror inside is rusty both have faded glass and both are aligned really badly with no adjusters - on top of the very poor light even though I upgraded the bulbs to Osram nightbreakers. The test centre www.m50truckandvancentre.com (very nice, helpful people) is going to install the new ones and align them correctly for me when I go for the re-test.

Thanks.

I changed the bulbs the same as you. The glass is clear and the chrome is o.k. and although they passed I'd still like them to be brighter.

Perhaps I ought to leave well alone:).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right...

My plate had been altered and rather than risk a fail I got a new plate and cert from SvTech. Just a paper exercise in my case and cost 240 Stg but worth it as it is now all legal and just passed the test.

Perhaps I ought to leave well alone:).
    Yeah the new brighter bulbs and a pass - I would if I could !!!

Yeah the new brighter bulbs and a pass - I would if I could !!!

Mine passd before I changed the bulbs. Just did that for my own satisfaction. Nothing actually wrong with the lights as such, unlike yours.

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote:

I know, it's a big issue. And as I said before, I offered the rsa my camper, which has an altered gvw to look into it a few weeks before the test came in, and they said, "no need. It's not a problem" but we knew it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Originally Posted by Aidan_M_M;
    heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right..

I had a very helpful lady from the RSA and I go ther to put it in writing what I need to do to get my van to pass the DOE. Here it is or I can forward it on to anyone that wants it.

Thank you for your query. My colleague Ann has asked me to reply to you in relation to the query you had about altered plate.

In your previous correspondence you advised that your motor caravan had been presented for test with the original manufacturer’s plate having been altered, and because of this your vehicle failed the test.

We suggest that in cases where a vehicle has been physically modified since first registration and the manufacturer’s plate has been removed or its data modified, the owner will have to provide the tester with written confirmation from the original vehicle manufacturer (not importer, distributor or other) detailing approval for the new maximum permissible weights. In the absence of this approval from the original manufacturer for the new weights, a Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI)- , i.e. a person with recognised qualifications and experience – may examine the vehicle and approve the modification in writing and detail the vehicle’s new DGVW and maximum permissible axle weights (the SQI approval letter must comply with the requirements for these letters as per the tester’s manuals) – which I have attached the HGV Manual to this e-mail for your information, should you wish to have a read of it.

I hope that this information is of help to you – but if you have any further queries please contact us.

Regards

She has also given me a list of places that are authorised to make new manufacturer plate which again I can forward on to anyone that wants it.

Hope this helps:-)

Quick Doe question re tyre sizes.
    I have 3 215s and a 205 on the van at the moment... Is that a prob?
    My spare is also a 205..so I could easily have say the 215,s on the front and the 205,s on the back if needs be.
    Or do I need the 4 the same.
    Thanks
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Quick Doe question re tyre sizes.
    I have 3 215s and a 205 on the van at the moment... Is that a prob?
    My spare is also a 205..so I could easily have say the 215,s on the front and the 205,s on the back if needs be.
    Or do I need the 4 the same.
    Thanks
    Marty.

You dont need four the same, however both tyres on each axle should be the same size. I doubt it would be picked up though.

*Kol* wrote: »
    You dont need four the same, however both tyres on each axle should be the same size. I doubt it would be picked up though.

They picked me up on it. I had two different spec on the front, was told to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

They picked me up on it. I had two different spec on the front, was told to get it sorted.

I stand corrected!

What was the difference in the spec? Weight rating?

I stand corrected!

I'm by no means an expert but, from what I can remember, the tyres had to be over a specific number, i'm assuming to do with axles and weight. Mine was 101 when it should have been above 103 (something like that anyway). Was hoping I could just swap the spare but that was in poor shape so had to get a new tyre. Managed to find a used one for €45 that was as new.

I stand corrected!

I'm by no means an expert but, from what I can remember, the tyres had to be over a specific number, i'm assuming to do with axles and weight. Mine was 101 when it should have been above 103 (something like that anyway). Was hoping I could just swap the spare but that was in poor shape so had to get a new tyre. Managed to find a used one for €45 that was as new.

Cheers
    Was the retest just a free visual?... I could spend my time better than swapping the spare over and back if I thought I'd have s chance of getting away with it.
    Cheers
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 181151

problem.presented today for test.tester a gentleman.result Fail.Two plates under bonnet.One a Fiat plate with the chassis no.The other plate headed ALKO KOBER AG with all weights specified.Problem as i understand it Fiat plate does not specify any wieghts.Question i have is this : how could it if they did not produce final vehicle.Nothing has been altered on this Euramobil 02 to my knowledge.The tester believes same i.e weights add up.Any suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement

181151 wrote: »
    problem.presented today for test.tester a gentleman.result Fail.Two plates under bonnet.One a Fiat plate with the chassis no.The other plate headed ALKO KOBER AG with all weights specified.Problem as i understand it Fiat plate does not specify any wieghts.Question i have is this : how could it if they did not produce final vehicle.Nothing has been altered on this Euramobil 02 to my knowledge.The tester believes same i.e weights add up.Any suggestions welcome.

If I understand you correctly this shouldn't be an issue.
    The likes of fiat who supply chassis's to reputable coach builders such as hymer euramobil can leave the plate weights blank.
    The builder adds their plate depending what exactly they put on the chassis....alls good???
    Maybe he just not used to motorhomes..

Marty.

Advertisement