Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

now i wil get mine tested http://www.vehicletesting.ie/15/louth.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

My motorhome will be nine years old this year.
    I got it tested last march 16th so under the new regulations if I am reading it right am I entitled to get a one years extension to my road worthiness certificate if I surrender the old one. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Here it is, dated this day last week (17/02/2012)

Funny thing though, I heard nothing about it in/on the media (print, radio, or TV), then maybe I'm not 'switched on' to the right stuff :o

Notice of New Regulations Regarding the Periodic Roadworthiness Testing of Motor Caravans

You just beat me to it in posting this!

Good news as far as I'm concerned. We'll know that the camper in front/behind is at least as roadworthy as the cars on the road.

On the other thread I did say that the contact in Balline said they would be advertising in newspapers and mainly/only weekend ones. Maybe not done yet? should have been I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

70.86 + 23% for test when we present this to the tax office must we pay more as commercial owners do for the tax office to convert one piece of paper to another.

defike wrote: »
    70.86 + 23% for test when we present this to the tax office must we pay more as commercial owners do for the tax office to convert one piece of paper to another.

It looks like it until they get a centralised computer system up and running. I believe that the job is out to tender so it might be a while yet. Then we will also get a windscreen disc.
    Also only then, as I understand it, will we get notifaction of test due in the same way as we do for our cars.

I belive the fee for the extra piece of paper is, or was, €5. Perhaps a commercial owner can confirm this.

A real pain in the proverbial. For me it means going to Castlebar, looking for somewhere to park then queueing up for god knows how long!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

It looks like it until they get a centralised computer system up and running. I believe that the job is out to tender so it might be a while yet. Then we will also get a windscreen disc.
    Also only then, as I understand it, will we get notifaction of test due in the same way as we do for our cars.

I belive the fee for the extra piece of paper is, or was, €5. Perhaps a commercial owner can confirm this.

A real pain in the proverbial. For me it means going to Castlebar, looking for somewhere to park then queueing up for god knows how long!!.
    its €6 now
    if you pop a cheque in the post with the pass cert to the local county council office (mayo/galway etc) they will post out the cert of road worthiness,

it saves the hassel of going in and queing for half hour, and the parking aswell,

its €6 now
    if you pop a cheque in the post with the pass cert to the local county council office (mayo/galway etc) they will post out the cert of road worthiness,

it saves the hassel of going in and queing for half hour, and the parking aswell,

Thanks, I didn't know that.
    Even @ 6euro it's still a bit cheeky for a piece of paper, not even a disc.
    Let's hope the computer system is not put on the long finger:(.

Des32 wrote: »
    My motorhome will be nine years old this year.
    I got it tested last march 16th so under the new regulations if I am reading it right am I entitled to get a one years extension to my road worthiness certificate if I surrender the old one. ?

The answer to this should be yes because, like a car, it only becomes every 2 years when it's IN it's 4th year and every year when it's IN it's 10th year. Your current cert should therefore be valid until Mar.2013.

Sorry, just read what I put! for the word SHOULD read WILL.

I've just read all the testing details and I see that they won't need to go inside.

No need to tidy up, hide the booze etc.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Will just add the circulars that was sent to the test centres today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

Just booked mine for tomorrow, would be annoyed to have a fail. They were asking me to make sure it's below 3,500 kg, i'm assuming a converted 1996 LWB Fiat Ducato would be well below that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Just booked mine for tomorrow, would be annoyed to have a fail. They were asking me to make sure it's below 3,500 kg, i'm assuming a converted 1996 LWB Fiat Ducato would be well below that?

You should be fine on weight with that. Just take everything out of it, empty tanks etc.

I just booked mine in for a couple of weeks time and was told the same.

Will the cert we (hopefully) get cover the new requirements as it's essentially a commercial DOE for now from what I understand. Is that what we have to pay the €6 for at the tax office ?

Now off to find my log book :confused:

I don't know about the cert from the motor tax office, because I've never bother to get one (why spend the money when it wasn't required), but the pass cert from the garage doesn't mention anything about the vehicle being private or commercial.

It only shows the make/type,Design G.V.W, U.L.W and chassis number.
    It's a very simple pass statement.

I assume it will stay the same?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Got mine done today. 3,850Kg but tested and charged as LGV :D
    Initially there was talk about HGV rates as new regs are not law 'til 1st. March but when I suggested I could come back next week they said no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

as far as i am aware you need to exchange the pass cert for the roadworthiness cert
    otherwise you are on the system as not being tested,
    the gardai with the ANPR cameras will be gone mad with all the un certed motorhomes/campers/hgv's on the road:D:D

happy camping

Got mine done today. 3,850Kg but tested and charged as LGV :D
    Initially there was talk about HGV rates as new regs are not law 'til 1st. March but when I suggested I could come back next week they said no need.

Nice one niloc:). That's what I like to hear.

Foot down with a firm hand.

as far as i am aware you need to exchange the pass cert for the roadworthiness cert
    otherwise you are on the system as not being tested,
    the gardai with the ANPR cameras will be gone mad with all the un certed motorhomes/campers/hgv's on the road:D:D

happy camping

Actuallt there is no "system" yet, not until they get it organised sometime in the future. Soon I hope. (see my post of the 18th).

Only way the gardai know if we, or commercial vehicles, have a test done at the moment is by stopping us.

Not entirely true.

At the end of each month a report is sent in from each test centre. Gardai have access to this database I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi All

Is the test doen in the same mannor as the NCT......it book test, arrive, wait and drive off?
    How long does test take?

Cheers

Malta1 wrote: »
    Hi All

Is the test doen in the same mannor as the NCT......it book test, arrive, wait and drive off?
    How long does test take?

Cheers

Pretty much, I think. I could get a next day booking and was told it would take 45 minutes. No idea how rigorous it is but will post anything to be aware of here afterwards.

• Advertisement

Basically it is the same as an NCT.

It will probably take a little bit longer (40 minutes ish) and you have to have your log book as Doe centres have no access to the database like the NCT does

Slidey wrote: »
    Basically it is the same as an NCT.

It will probably take a little bit longer (40 minutes ish) and you have to have your log book as Doe centres have no access to the database like the NCT does

Ahhh!!! I didn't know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Mine took just under an hour, I was able to wait in a staff canteen and enjoy a cup of coffee, I believe some VTN test centres have waiting rooms.
    However, unlike the NCT test centres you probably will not be able to watch your 'loved one' being put through its paces,

You should be able.

Our waiting area is not beside and the test centre but there is cctv that allows the customer to see the vehicle being in tested

Saying that we still get people who insist on standing outside the door looking into the bay

FAIL.

4 problems, 2 I can do myself. The screenwash doesn't spray enough, so maybe clean out the pipes etc. One of the front tyres is the incorrect index for the load but I can lash on the spare. The two other problems are a front shock imbalance and too much play in the wheel bearings, so need both bearings and a shock. Have someone looking into the cost now but could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

I taxed my camper today. My DOE cert which was issued last year expires on march 17th next, without me asking the lady in the motor tax office changed the expiry date to march 2013 in pen then she stamped and signed the cert.

She seemed to be well informed about the new regulations. She told me to come back at the end of april and they should be able to issue a new cert then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Mine took just under an hour, I was able to wait in a staff canteen and enjoy a cup of coffee, I believe some VTN test centres have waiting rooms.
    However, unlike the NCT test centres you probably will not be able to watch your 'loved one' being put through its paces,

You can in my local one . Garahy's of Birr , Co. Offaly .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

FAIL.

4 problems, 2 I can do myself. The screenwash doesn't spray enough, so maybe clean out the pipes etc. One of the front tyres is the incorrect index for the load but I can lash on the spare. The two other problems are a front shock imbalance and too much play in the wheel bearings, so need both bearings and a shock. Have someone looking into the cost now but could be worse.

play in front or rear wheel bearings , and what year? If it's the front of a ducato , it's a bit of a b1tch of a job TBH . Done a fair few by now .

Slidey wrote: »
    Not entirely true.

At the end of each month a report is sent in from each test centre. Gardai have access to this database I believe

I would imagine that these reports are paper reports that are filed somewhere.

When I asked my contact at the R.S.A. in Ballina about being notified when the test is due I was told that it would be down to the centre where you had the previous one done as they were the only people with that sort of information to hand, until the new central system is set up.

• Advertisement

I was only going by what truck drivers have experienced at the side of the road when they would get caught telling porkies saying they had a test when they didn't.

I know I tested a vehicle that was stopped at a checkpoint the day before I tested it. One day after the monthly report was submitted a member of the RSA rang me quizzing me on what it failed on

Advertisement