Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

But they are who we thought they were!

By that i mean the Jets...looking at the game last night, imagine the Pats had scored TDs on their 2 first drives against the Jets, it would have been similar result to last night. I believe the Pats are better than both the Steelers and Packers also but unfortunately that doesnt really matter, you gotta win when you gotta win...but here's looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Follow up congratulations for Bill Belichick who won AP coach of the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thought I'd try and get this thread going again. Started it before a Jets game and try to revive it after we thump them.:D

Anyways after a rough couple of weeks things took a nice turn last night with a couple of unknowns making our defense a lot more solid. Just looking at the remaing games and its quite possible we could go 13-3. We have the easiest schedule of all teams for the remainder of the season based on current form.

Chiefs - 4-5
    @Eagles - 3-6
    Colts - 0-10
    @Redskins - 3-6
    @Broncos - 4-5
    Dolphine - 2-7
    Bills - 5-4

Very interesting little stat and while almost everybody's numbers are down in losses this one is really a huge difference. Deoin Branch only has 57 yards in our 3 losses (19 yds a game) vs. 427 in our 6 wins (72 yards a game)

• Advertisement

Slightly disappointed that Matt Cassel won't be coming home on Monday. I don't think he's a great QB, but he stepped in well for Brady the season he went down and will (or at least should) always be respected by Pats fans for that.

Also, a couple of milestones from Sunday night's win. Brady and Belichick became the starting QB and coach combination with the most wins in NFL history, and Welker became the fastest player to reach 1,000 yards in a season. 9 games, 1,006 yards, that's phenomenal.

As for some potential NFL records that may be in sight, Wes is on course for 1,788 receiving yards. Jerry Rice's record is 1,848 so Wes would need to increase his average yards per game slightly to 120 yards a game for the rest of the season. As for receptions, he currently has 72 and is on course for 128. Again, to break Marvin Harrison's record of 143 he would need to average just over 10 receptions a game for the rest of the season. Brady currently has 3,032 passing yards, and would need 293 yards per game for the rest of the season to break Marino's record of 5,084. I think it's a very realistic target considering the quality of opposition we have left to play. He's currently on course for 5,390 yards, 41 TDs and 17 picks.

Taylor Price released :(

Very disappointed, he has a lot of potential and never seemed to get a chance to run with our offence. I can only assume Belichick didn't like what he saw in practise and if you don't click with Brady, then you don't really have a chance here. Still gutted though, someone will pick themselves up a good little receiver off waivers.

I never really rated Price, just too hit and miss when he got opportunities. Wonder is Ocho about to burst on the scene after a horrible season to date?

Ocho has to step up. When he was hurt there were rumours that Price would step in and produce but alas no. I didn't think he got enough reps myself. Hope he catches on as there was a little buzz about him post-Draft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rob Gronkowski is insane, surely the best TE in the NFL at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gronkowski is definitely the form TE in the league at the moment, possibly for the last 12 months actually. He has been outstanding.

Without a doubt he's the best in the league at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

kryogen wrote: »
    Gronkowski is definitely the form TE in the league at the moment, possibly for the last 12 months actually. He has been outstanding.

Jimmy Graham has been outstanding too. They are both just second year players too!! I saw a feature recently on the TE's in that draft: Gronkowski and Graham being the standouts so far; plus Aaron Hernandez, Tony Moeaki, Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson and Jermaine Gresham - hell of a draft class.

If you didn't know them you'd think they are Patriots fans making this video. Particularly love the start of it with Terrell Suggs, must have killed him a little inside to say that.:D

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d824d6b95/A-Call-to-Arms-Tom-Brady?module=HP11_cp

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Megatitan

Whats the chances of Pats getting to the superbowl? I see they're 4/1 with bookies. Is they're a chance of a Pats v Packers final or will they meet before that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Megatitan wrote: »
    Whats the chances of Pats getting to the superbowl? I see they're 4/1 with bookies. Is they're a chance of a Pats v Packers final or will they meet before that?

The only time they can meet each other in the playoffs is the Superbowl.

Megatitan wrote: »
    Whats the chances of Pats getting to the superbowl? I see they're 4/1 with bookies.

I'm a Pats fan but I cannot see them making it to the Superbowl - that kills me to say so.

I wouldn't fancy us against the Ravens or Steelers in the playoffs, and I can only shudder to think what New Orleans or Green Bay would do to us if we did manage to make it. But hey, any given Sunday and all that jazz.

It could be very ugly if we did reach a SB this year against the Packers/Saints

New 5 year contract for Mayo according to Schefter :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't fancy us against the Ravens or Steelers in the playoffs, and I can only shudder to think what New Orleans or Green Bay would do to us if we did manage to make it. But hey, any given Sunday and all that jazz.
    Neither of those NFC teams can defend either to be fair. It would be a high scoring affair but I'd never ever think of us as anything less than 50/50 against any team.

Andre Carter placed on IR. Such a huge blow, hope we see him in a Patriots jersey again :(

Huge loss and he's probably our best player of the year. Although with his age and what ever damage he has, one guy I follow on Twitter is somewhat doubtful we'll see him again. Others have to step up.

On another cheerier note, I'm delighted Ochocinco got a TD. He's been performing nowhere near the level expected of him but following him on Twitter, he's a funny lad and tries to play as best as he can. I wasn't a fan before but I like him now.

Carter is a huge loss, what the **** is with the injuries this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

eagle eye wrote: »
    Neither of those NFC teams can defend either to be fair. It would be a high scoring affair but I'd never ever think of us as anything less than 50/50 against any team.

How do Pats fans rate Carters replacement ? Anderson

I actually like the Pats chances ....the Offensive Line problems at Green Bay ....the Giants being inconsistent..the Jets being mediocre...the Ravens defensive problems ...the Steelers Oline ...BigBen hobbling ...Cowboys patchiness ....49ers and Alex Smith

the Pats are right in there i think

Matt Light is inactive today, so we'll see a lot more of Marcus Cannon which I'm excited about. Has been quietly impressive in the snaps he's gotten so far lately.

A record that has almost flown under the radar is that Rob Gronkowski needs just 71 yards from his final game next week to break Kellen Winslow Sr's receiving yards in a season by a TE record. I wouldn't bet against him, as Brady will be out to break Marino's record too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

neilster wrote: »
    How do Pats fans rate Carters replacement ? Anderson

the Pats are right in there i think

Bit late but Anderson has quietly been very good for us. Sack a game guy until recently. Had a FF and a recovery I think and works hard. I was talking to a Bears fan and he said Anderson's in the right system and he's benefiting more than at the Bears. I'm glad we have him since at the start of our season our pass rush was non-existent.

• Advertisement

So, our 2012 schedule is set (not in order, mind you).

Home: Bills, Dolphins, Jets, 49ers, Cardinals, Texans, Broncos, Colts

Road: Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Rams, Jaguars, Seahawks, Titans, Ravens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement