Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What kind of bird is this?

• 01-09-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

whatami.jpg

Can anyone identify this for me? I'm figuring it's a kind of hawk?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Looks like a young Golden Eagle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Eagle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JBURKO

i would say it is a falcon myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

JBURKO wrote: »
    i would say it is a falcon myself

???????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looks like a lovely looking young Golden Eagle.

Golden-Eagle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Golden Eagle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 mellickricky

Thundercat seems sure but ask these guys

www.goldeneagle.ie

they know there stuff

Thundercat seems sure but ask these guys

www.goldeneagle.ie

they know there stuff

I wouldnt be 100%. There are guys on here that know a lot more about these things than me, but to me it definatly looks like a golden eagle. Absolutly fabulous bird. Would love to see one in the flesh. Was up in Glenveigh national park in Donegal only a month ago but no joy in seeing one.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I wouldnt be 100%. There are guys on here that know a lot more about these things than me, but to me it defiantly looks like a golden eagle. Absolutely fabulous bird. Would love to see one in the flesh. Was up in Glenveigh national park in Donegal only a month ago but no joy in seeing one.

Pitty TC,

Im in Laois and some time early this summer these two big ass Birds start appearing around over farm and woodland more so than the bog it would seem. I did a bit of research and the only thing I could figure it was, was a Red Kite...ive heard guys from gun clubs say its an osprey and a few other things....I know where they nest and how they behave kinda but still cant be sure....can you shed any light...anybody....they soar high like their riding the thermals and then cruise up there for ages...only have seen them togeather near where I think they nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Oaklyn Melodic Rebel

mellickricky, I've seen Buzzards in Laoise over the past couple of months so possibly that's what you saw.

Thundercat is correct. That's a young G.Eagle

mellickricky, I've seen Buzzards in Laoise over the past couple of months so possibly that's what you saw.

Thundercat is correct. That's a young G.Eagle

yea you could be right....il try get a better look...thanks...still very interesting....out with my collins bird guide to learn about buzzards;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

OP here, thanks everyone for the info, young Golden Eagle seems to be the verdict :)

In case anyone is interested I've added a complete set of my birds of prey photos . These were taken in the Irish Raptor Centre in Sligo in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

where did you take that eagle pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

alb wrote: »
    OP here, thanks everyone for the info, young Golden Eagle seems to be the verdict :)

In case anyone is interested I've added a complete set of my birds of prey photos . These were taken in the Irish Raptor Centre in Sligo in August.

Some really good pics on your webpage. The D70 is an excellent camera, and the fact you have an excellent eye for a shot only enhances that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Durnish wrote: »
    where did you take that eagle pic?

At the Irish Raptor centre in Ballymote, Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Pitty TC,

Im in Laois and some time early this summer these two big ass Birds start appearing around over farm and woodland more so than the bog it would seem. I did a bit of research and the only thing I could figure it was, was a Red Kite...ive heard guys from gun clubs say its an osprey and a few other things....I know where they nest and how they behave kinda but still cant be sure....can you shed any light...anybody....they soar high like their riding the thermals and then cruise up there for ages...only have seen them togeather near where I think they nest.

i guess you live near garyhinch????? (im a laois man myself) think i may have been watching the same pair.

stevoman wrote: »
    i guess you live near garyhinch????? (im a laois man myself) think i may have been watching the same pair.

Really that's cool. So what do you think they are?

alb wrote: »

Awesome Photos. I never even knew there was an Irish Raptor Centre. Just after finding their website and I will certainly pay a visit there soon. It would be amazing to see such wonderful birds up close. I think the Bald Eagle photo looks the best but id be very interested to see the Golden Eagle up close now we have a few of them back in the mountains of Kerry and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Is that the same place as http://www.eaglesflying.com/ ?

I was there last year and it was excellent.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Is that the same place as http://www.eaglesflying.com/ ?

I was there last year and it was excellent.

Thats the one. Im really looking forward to paying them a visit. Glad you enjoyed it.

Went there yesterday and it was absolutly fantastic. Couldnt recommend it highly enough. It was great to see all these birds of prey up close and it suprised me just how big some of them were. The flying demonstration they did with the birds was amazing.
    Here are a few pics I took.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Oaklyn Melodic Rebel

I don't want to be a kiljoy but could these pictures be posted under the sticky "some pictures I took recently" and keep this thread clear for queries on bird identification? Sorry!

Advertisement