Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is is possible to use a Netopia router as a wireless access point?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I'm new here and this is my first Thread - I've had a search through the forum and haven't found a solution to my problem. If I missed it or I've looked in the wrong place then I'm sorry and would appreciate it is somebody could point me in the right direction.

Recently I've upgraded my old eircom broadband connection to e-fibre, which comes with a new router. Since I get a dreadful wifi signal at the other side of the house I had an idea that I might run a physical cable from new e-fibre Router down to the kitchen where I could connect the old Netopia router. The idea being that the old router would act as a second Wifi point.

I've logged into the old Netopia and disabled its ability to act as DHCP server and told it that it shouldn't expect an external internet connection. I've also changed the wifi channels so they are not broadcasting on the same frequencies. Finally I changed it's static IP address to 192.168.1.253. I did keep the same SSID and passwords on both devices so that the wireless devices could connect to the same network.

What happened next was odd. My phone was able to connect to the network and I could browse to the config pages of both devices. But for some reason I wasn't able to see the internet. I then logged on to my PC which is physically wired to the e-fibre router, and it couldn't see see the internet either... :-(

In the end I had to turn off the old Netopia router and restart the e-fibre router before I got internet back again.

What went wrong? Is possible to build a network this way? Has anybody else done it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

I think what your looking for is bridging mode to use it as a wifi extender

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221723

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This an old silver 2247?

Totally possible, I have one at my feet acting as a backup AP.

Disable DHCP, set IP, set SSID, kill firewall, go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try over the weekend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

Just to let you know, I reset the router (to undo all the changes I made!) and followed your instruction - they worked a treat :-)

Advertisement