Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Raptors used sickle claw to "pin down" prey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Is it just me or is each passing discovery making it seem less and less likely that the alleged pack of Deinonychus hunting a Tenontosaurus weren't just victims of a predator trap?
    Oh well, one can dream...

deinonychus13.jpg&sa=X&ei=GYvqTpvhJZS4hAeV7emiCA&ved=0CAwQ8wc4PA&usg=AFQjCNFs0oGDfPhl-KvAmBY1Ft_SPCOj6A

Oh, my aching childhood...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I don´t think so. One cannot underestimate birds of prey, and Deinonychus was a man-sized bird of prey with a shark-like bite in jaws as powerful as those of a hyena. No matter how chicken-like the draw it, it is still hardcore.
    deinonychus.scene.jpg

I had no idea Deinonychus' jaws were so strong. Have there been studies done on it's bite force?

Obligatory badass pic:
    deinonychusEW2.jpg&sa=X&ei=447qTveDIM-ChQfOubCpCA&ved=0CAsQ8wc4LA&usg=AFQjCNH0s_XkshRsSakQ6jDCvCoUBhXz7g

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I had no idea Deinonychus' jaws were so strong. Have there been studies done on it's bite force?

There have, here's wikipedia XD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus#Bite_force

Pretty awesome.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,052 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm liking the brightly coloured mohawks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Is it just me or is each passing discovery making it seem less and less likely that the alleged pack of Deinonychus hunting a Tenontosaurus weren't just victims of a predator trap?
    Oh well, one can dream...

deinonychus13.jpg&sa=X&ei=GYvqTpvhJZS4hAeV7emiCA&ved=0CAwQ8wc4PA&usg=AFQjCNFs0oGDfPhl-KvAmBY1Ft_SPCOj6A

Oh, my aching childhood...
    Usually in preditor traps you have more than one species of preditor. It attracts every animal for miles. And these guys are concurrant with Acrocanthasaurus

Perhaps Acrocanthosaurus was big and strong enough to pull himself out of the trap, GRRR!!!
    In terms of the Deinonychus/Tenontosaurus find I would say it would be highly untypical for as many as 3 Deinonychus to be felled on a hunt. After a month or two of hunting with that kind of fatality rate they'd be wiped out in no time. They could have been the victims of a landslide or flash flooding (which does not disbar a hunt either). Either that or Tenontosaurus really was that badass and could take down three Deinonychus - the Deinonychus attacking a fully fit Tenontosaurus out of sheer desperation perhaps.
    Possibilities.

Still, impressive re: Deinonychus' bite power being comparable to a hyena's. As every rookie zoologist knows, hyenas hunt prey much larger than themselves in packs.

PS: I see posts without pictures. For shame...

Deinonychus_tenontosaurus.jpg&sa=X&ei=FmzrTvm6Bc-FhQfctsiuCA&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEzrX9bNtd-nLU9rlQ001OG5AqIhw

Perhaps Acrocanthosaurus was big and strong enough to pull himself out of the trap, GRRR!!!
    In terms of the Deinonychus/Tenontosaurus find I would say it would be highly untypical for as many as 3 Deinonychus to be felled on a hunt. After a month or two of hunting with that kind of fatality rate they'd be wiped out in no time. They could have been the victims of a landslide or flash flooding (which does not disbar a hunt either). Either that or Tenontosaurus really was that badass and could take down three Deinonychus - the Deinonychus attacking a fully fit Tenontosaurus out of sheer desperation perhaps.
    Possibilities.

Still, impressive re: Deinonychus' bite power being comparable to a hyena's. As every rookie zoologist knows, hyenas hunt prey much larger than themselves in packs.

PS: I see posts without pictures. For shame...

Deinonychus_tenontosaurus.jpg&sa=X&ei=FmzrTvm6Bc-FhQfctsiuCA&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEzrX9bNtd-nLU9rlQ001OG5AqIhw

I don´t think the Deinonychus were killed by the Tenontosaurus. Makes more sense, to me anyways, that the raptors killed the Tenontosaur, and stayed around their kill for a while (since an animal that size would feed them for many days), and then something happened that buried the raptors AND the already dead Tenontosaur.

Speaking of Deinonychus and other predators, I read teeth from a Xiongguanlong-like tyrannosauroid were found associated with a Deinonychus kill (don´t know if the same one), suggesting that there was a time in which tyrannosauroids like these got some of their food scavenging after raptors! (Nothing surprising but interesting nonetheless)

Pic (Cuz JP raptors are Deinonychus too):

5467827_3_l.jpg

Dinosaur Revolution seems to be of the opinion that Utahraptor used it's claws for eye gouging.

utahraptor.jpg&sa=X&ei=3ELuToX6L8qJhQejkfnVDA&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH-9k2nHTAMGvz_1_g_fmJPt-j_Gw

Advertisement