Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No EOS...so who else?

2»

Comments

• GreenHell wrote:
    I'm coming around to the idea of letting Kidney finish this current season with Munster then let him take over the Ireland job. Maybe Bradley to Munster or Jim Williams bumped up the ladder with Galliamh as assistant.
    Im not, what he did at Leinster doesnt inspire confidence, and BOD said in his book that the players werent fond of him.

Also he made the call to drop the in form Jennings for Ciaran Potts and Gleeson (who'd played 2 games) for the HC QF against Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Im not, what he did at Leinster doesnt inspire confidence, and BOD said in his book that the players werent fond of him.

Also he made the call to drop the in form Jennings for Ciaran Potts and Gleeson (who'd played 2 games) for the HC QF against Leicester.

He is also the only Irish coach to win anything of value, but sure what does that prove..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'm probably sticking the boot in a bit much to Kidney, but I just wouldn't trust him.
    However, I also think a change of philosophy is required and I believe Kidney and O'Sullivan to be of the same breed (I am open to correction).

Also, while Kidney was the coach when Munster won the Heineken cup a huge amount of the ground work was done by Gaffney who made Munster a European force to be reckoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I would have agreed with that until I started reading about the Gaffers lack of feed back to players and unhappy players. He took munster so far, I think Jim Williams had a bigger impact in making munster into a more professional team.

Whether you like Kidney or not, I would be very confident he would take on developing players for the big competitions and inject some spark into our team.

Then there is always Niallo..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Anyone strongly involved on the coaching staff in Munster over the past seven years deserves consideration at the very least. They have won. They have achieved. If they don't stand up through an interview, review and assessment process then fair enough.

But they have surely earned "first dibs" if Eddie was to go so to speak. That's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Anyone strongly involved on the coaching staff in Munster over the past seven years deserves consideration at the very least. They have won. They have achieved. If they don't stand up through an interview, review and assessment process then fair enough.

But they have surely earned "first dibs" if Eddie was to go so to speak. That's all I'm saying.

I don't believe that should necessarily be the case. It could be a bad idea installing another coach who will bring baggage to the job - be it positive or negative.
    Kidney is very well known by both Munster and Leinster players and may just keep doing the same things. I think the International team should be run very differently to a provincial one and open the players up to new ideas and ways of playing than they get at the provinces.

That way they get the best of both worlds with two very different coaching visions being given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Kidney didn't win the HC himself though. The pack, O'Gara and Stringer were instrumental because they performed, something they're not doing now. In fact they haven't done it since the 6N. If Kidney couldn't get them to fire this year, maybe it's not Eddie's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

il gatto wrote:
    If Kidney couldn't get them to fire this year, maybe it's not Eddie's fault.

Yeah it's definitely the case that it's not EOS's fault when top professional players can't perform to a standard to comfortably see off Namibia and Georgia.

It's also important to realise that when we look back at the selection decisions he made, and judge them now that we try and ignore some of the hindsight that we have now. For example he dropped Hickie for Trimble after two very sub par performances from Hickie. Trimble did no better (as we know now), but at the time I was happy enough to see Hickie gone.

However there is one decision he made which I think was deeply flawed, and obviously so even without hindsight.

When we didn't perform against Namibia he picked the same (bar 1 injury) team to play Georgia. That meant that in a best case scenario (assuming we played really well and were comfortably ahead at half time) he could rest 3 or 4 players from about 50 minutes.

He therefore ensured from that point that we were going to go into the crunch games with France and Argintina with 10/11/12 players who had played 2 full games in the previous 2 weeks. Considering that resting players during France and Argintina was highly unlikely he ensured then that if we made a quarter final the vast bulk of our front line team would have played 4 full matches in 4 weeks previously.

As far as I'm concerned EOS ensured with that selection that IReland's chances of making a semi final were close to nil - even if the players had started to perform to their potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Preparing for the world cup is clearly a really long, complicated and exact process.

It was obviously mismanaged in every area as Ireland are neither physically, mentally, or tactically on their game.

We don't need a new manager right now but i think that beating Scotland, Wales and poor English teams is about as far as EOS will ever be able to bring Ireland.

4 matches in a month is hardly beyond our top professionals, especially when two of them are against the likes of Namibia and Georgia. These players play that often for their clubs and nobody seems to make an issue of it. We can all complain about the lack of rotation (as I've done elsewhere) but when it comes down to it, no amount of bad coaching should result in a team like Ireland coming within a whisker of losing to Georgia.
    EOS may have his shortcomings but players of that quality should be able to beat minnows with minimal effort reardless of bad coaching for a few weeks in the lead up to the WC. Wales have a sh1te manager and they at least showed up at the WC. The Irish team hadn't the stomach for it and a manager should never have to go through the motions of getting a team fired up for a WC. The players need to take a look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Marshy wrote:
    Sir Clive anyone?

No way .............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

nedward wrote:
    Bring back Gatty! .

Now you’re talking, I firmly believe EOS reaped what was started by Gatland snd lived of the momentum the players brought with them from the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

il gatto wrote:
    4 matches in a month is hardly beyond our top professionals

To reach the semi finals (which given our players quality had to have been our goal) it would involve winning 5 matches in 5 weeks. I think thats too much to ask of players.
    il gatto wrote:
    especially when two of them are against the likes of Namibia and Georgia.

Matches against for example Georgia our not necessarily any less physically demanding (at least for the first 60 mins) then playing the likes of Scotland, Wales or England

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The game plan was probably to rotate players for the Georgia game, but due to the woeful performance against Namibia that didn't happen.

We've now faced the reality of basically playing our first XV for every game.

EOS has already stated that he, as he put it,, intended to give a few of the other lads a run out against Georgia, but that after Namibia he felt the team needed to gel. Fair enough.
    4 matches in 4 weeks, or 5 in five, with two of them considered foregone conclusions by practically everyone, is not too much to ask. I mean, what would mitigate for their performance against Namibia? 16 days after Italy game. It wasn't physical fatigue. It was their attitude and lack of concentration and effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

dub_skav wrote:
    As I said, no I wouldn't. But that's just personal prejudice due to his being a snake in the grass.

How is that now?

Advertisement