Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WD Elements 1TB drive power supply kaput :(

• 21-05-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have a WD Elements 1TB drive that stopped working. After it giving me a fright that everything was gone turns out it is only the power supply is screwed.

The thing is the powersupply has a PS/2 port connector. Does anyone know where I can get a new power supply for it?

Adapter model is : AD6008.

failing that I am wondering if I can just remove the drive from the WD Elements box and put it into a new external caddy?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Putting it in a caddy will definitely work. Is it still under warranty? If so you could see if they'll just swap the broken power adapter for a new one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It has a PS/2 connector??

I have a WD Elements 1tb too but it does not have a PS/2 for sure.

The drive draws 1.5A at 12V iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Interesting. I bought the same HD and power supply blew on me also. I stupidly cut it up and joined wire to try and fix but no joy. Have since put the drive into a caddy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Interesting. I bought the same HD and power supply blew on me also. I stupidly cut it up and joined wire to try and fix but no joy. Have since put the drive into a caddy :mad:

have the same model, but it's still going thankfully. powersupply going is known to be a big problem with these models though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hobbes are we talking about the same type of connector?

I bought mine from komplett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Mine actually just blew on me and i got a free replacement from western digital. Took around 2 weeks to send it out (which is quite awesome considering it was shipped from america). Go onto their site and contact their support team. They were awesome helping me sort the issue out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nikanor2007

I have visited WD and was advised to ring them on 00800- 27549338. So did you actually have to ring them?

I think they actually called me as far as i remember. They asked for my number to call me. ( I could have gotten that bit wrong it was quite a while ago) and speaking of which you sure do take your time replying lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nikanor2007

Lol, I know, but it's just that my own power supply has just blew up. I emailed WD, they replied within 24 hours suggesting I should ring them on 00800- 27549338 (which I have done and looks like the number is not active).

yeah same here i just tried to ring it. Are you sure they didn't say if you want a response sooner?
    heres what i found from them
    Thank you for your question. Our goal is to respond to you within one (1) business day. However, sometimes due to heavy volume, it may take us up to three (3) business days to respond. If you need assistance from us sooner, please contact us at 1-800-ASK-4WDC (Hours of Operation: M-F 8AM-5PM PST) and we will be happy to assist you.

To update this question by email, please reply to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.
    and for easier dates
    Monday-Thursday 9 am - 5:30 pm CET
    Friday 9 am - 4 pm CET
    reply to the email and tell them the number is disconected. I've tried just there but it's Saturday so that could be my reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement