Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Connacht, Sat 28 March 5:15pm; Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

freyners wrote: »
    Its a bit of a farce that hodges was left as the ref was this, hes compromised before the ball is kicked from a connacht and munster point of view and he doesnt have the refereeing talent to be able to handle it

on one hand yes, but on the other could set a dangerous precedent of Coaches basically getting to pick what refs they want..
    Our greatest asset from the win in Jan, our centres, is gone and tbh i think Munster are a stronger team overall.

agree, also having Ronaldson at OH worked a treat in first half

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

wprathead wrote:
    on one hand yes, but on the other could set a dangerous precedent of Coaches basically getting to pick what refs they want..

To be quite honest, this situation is unique as I dont think any other ref will ever be as idiotic to compromise his integrity like hodges did. Even if the pro12 are happy that it was a very poorly delivered joke, the common sense thing to do would be to keep them apart until it had time to fade into memory. Having him involved in the next two games is beyond stupid in my opinion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

To be quite honest, this situation is unique as I dont think any other ref will ever be as idiotic to compromise his integrity like hodges did. Even if the pro12 are happy that it was a very poorly delivered joke, the common sense thing to do would be to keep them apart until it had time to fade into memory. Having him involved in the next two games is beyond stupid in my opinion

tbh I'm not sure any other club has such a ref complex that the even the parking attendants feel the need to run to Lam because the ref said boo to them.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    tbh I'm not sure any other club has such a ref complex that the even the parking attendants feel the need to run to Lam because the ref said boo to them.

If i found myself in a situation where someone with the power to influence the outcome of something states they would be biased against the people who employ me because of my interaction with them i would definately tell someone more senior about it. Its not a ref complex as you demeaningly put it. Its common sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So the parking attendants thought the ref was biased against the club as they made him park a bit further away!

That's a straight out ref complex.

• Advertisement

A joke which was blown massively out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Find the Hodges thing a bit embarrassing from our viewpoint at this stage. We were screwed over at the end against Cardiff without doubt but first of all we should have had that game dead and buried against a poor Cardiff team and 2nd of all Hodges is just generally hopeless. Right at the start of the game he was going to award a farcical try to us about 5 yards away from him when Tiernan O'Halloran clearly impeded the Cardiff player in the air before the ball arrived. Only after the intervention of the TMO was it ruled out.

I agree, there were 2 bad decisions imo against Conn at the end of that game.

Bringing a laptop to a press conference though.....yikes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

So the parking attendants thought the ref was biased against the club as they made him park a bit further away!

That's a straight out ref complex.

Not that the stewards on the gate (not parking attendants) "thought " the ref was biased, more a case of the ref stating "that will cost your team 7 points". They'd be mad not to report that kind of interaction. But you carry on misrepresenting what happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Find the Hodges thing a bit embarrassing from our viewpoint at this stage. We were screwed over at the end against Cardiff without doubt but first of all we should have had that game dead and buried against a poor Cardiff team and 2nd of all Hodges is just generally hopeless. Right at the start of the game he was going to award a farcical try to us about 5 yards away from him when Tiernan O'Halloran clearly impeded the Cardiff player in the air before the ball arrived. Only after the intervention of the TMO was it ruled out.

I don't, he is a terrible Ref , with serious issues - total control freak-- , and just because a coach and people have called him out as a dire Ref here, doesn't make him a better ref .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

duckysauce wrote: »
    I don't, he is a terrible Ref, with serious issues - total control freak--, and just because a coach and people have called him out as a dire Ref here, doesn't make him a better ref
    This is going off topic but he isn't a terrible referee. To say he has serious issues:rolleyes:
    He made mistakes in that game but that doesn't matter in this thread and he's refereeing this game and that game is irrelevant

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not that the stewards on the gate (not parking attendants) "thought " the ref was biased, more a case of the ref stating "that will cost your team 7 points". They'd be mad not to report that kind of interaction. But you carry on misrepresenting what happened...

Do you think that an interaction between the stewards on the gate and a ref is enough for the ref in the pro game to become corrupt?

To me it's either

a) yes. Money, coke, and hookers don't interest him but where he parks is enough for him to go crazy

or

b) a bad joke with a club that has a major ref complex.

To me there's no c, d, or e option here it's only a or b.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Well does anyone know EXACTLY what was said? Or the tone it was said in?

Because if it was a joke said as a joke well then the parking attendants could've taken it as, you know, a joke.
    He shouldn't have said it but this whole incident has been blown so out of proportion.

well if it wasn't a joke and he's being serious what does that say?

I find it absolutely crazy to think it's not a joke as the implications of it being true are extremely mental.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone know where might be a good spot in Belfast to catch this? I'm staying in the centre of town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is going off topic but he isn't a terrible referee. To say he has serious issues:rolleyes:
    He made mistakes in that game but that doesn't matter in this thread and he's refereeing this game and that game is irrelevant

He is a terrible ref. Most games he refs he's a talking point afterwards. But he not biased, he's just rubbish. Just like Waynes Barnes or Poite, you have to learn how to play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The results last night have put the pressure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

The results last night have put the pressure on.

The only result that has put any pressure on us is the TBP win ffor Ulster and that was almost expected.

Ideally, Glasgow losing might have helped but I think the three Irish provinces are all chasing 2nd place at best.

Leinster only got 3 so we're still ahead of them with a game in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Robbo wrote: »
    Anyone know where might be a good spot in Belfast to catch this? I'm staying in the centre of town.

The Errigle (Ormeau Road - so not in the centre) Will likely have it on a least one screen. Probably will be on in the Hudson in town too...

well if it wasn't a joke and he's being serious what does that say?

I find it absolutely crazy to think it's not a joke as the implications of it being true are extremely mental.

I dont doubt hodges meant it as a joke but it more than likely didnt come across that way to the stewards. And if they got the wrong end if it they would if course report it. As would any other club. Doesnt quite fit in to the ref complex narrative so maybe its not worth mentioning

• Advertisement

I dont doubt hodges meant it as a joke but it more than likely didnt come across that way to the stewards. And if they got the wrong end if it they would if course report it. As would any other club. Doesnt quite fit in to the ref complex narrative so maybe its not worth mentioning

I think that if the stewards in a club believe that where they direct a ref to park is enough for that ref to cost the team 7 points then, yes, I do believe that club has a ref complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Can't see us winning a highly physical game. So see the way to go as being fast running game. Would like to see marmion magic breaking lines and opening the game up

Ronaldson is out with illness. Conor Finn starts at 12 with Nikora coming onto the bench.

0-3 to Connacht

Carty puts a good kick into the corner after kicking on the full earlier.

Billy Holland try! CJ picks up from the base of the scrum, Connacht's pillar defence nowhere to be seen and Holland picks and dives in.

Some dreadful kicks from hand from Keatley so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

poor from connacht, allowing themselves be isolated in the munster 22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

Billy Holland try! CJ picks up from the base of the scrum, Connacht's pillar defence nowhere to be seen and Holland picks and dives in.

Cheers for the updates

Great maul defence from Munster near their line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus Connacht sort out your darts.

Advertisement