Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

MCR those are really pretty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

My Remembrance Day Poppy nails :)

2013-11-11221452_zps24e07dd8.jpg

2013-11-11221319_zps7bb225ea.jpg

That red is pretty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Essence deep sea baby, a really nice dark green but looks black in this pic and 17 grafiti top coat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Needed a new ridiculously garish neon pink because my Purple Panic is drying up on me. Picked up Pink Voltage in Sallys (who have a 3 for 2 on all their Christmas sets at the moment)

It's super bright and tacky, perfect for me. Chips pretty easily is the only downside but I think that's just something you have to live with with neon colours

The tackier the better in my book! :)

• Advertisement

My nails for the actuaries ball this evening with my dress in the background.

BZMJyaoIUAA5YLz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Pythia, hope the ball was mighty!

Talk to me about your cuticles. What's your routine? Mine need serious therapy.

Pythia, hope the ball was mighty!

Talk to me about your cuticles. What's your routine? Mine need serious therapy.

I mainly use two things. OPI Avoplex Cuticle Oil to Go and also a cuticle pusher.

metal_cuticle_pusher.jpg

I use the oil when I remember, the OPI one is handy as it's a little brush pen so it's easy to use.

For the photo, I took my old nail varnish off, filed my nails, then left cuticle oil on for a while. Then used the pusher to push back and the scrapy side to remove anything kinda stuck to the nail by just lightly going over the area with the sharp point.

The oil made them softer, I wouldn't use the pusher without having come straight out of a shower or sticking them in a bowl of warm water or using the oil as you will probably just damage them.

I also use acetone to clean up the polish from around the cuticle as my hands are not super steady. This gives it a much cleaner line. Hope that helps! :)

Really appreciate that info, Pythia!

Do you ever use a cuticle cutter thing?

Really appreciate that info, Pythia!

Do you ever use a cuticle cutter thing?

No, I'm not sure I have anything against them but I have been cut with them in salons so I think I prefer the other way. I think they can be good for at the sides though.

• Advertisement

My nails. I am not entirely sure why I went for this combo, almost a lucky dip in the tins. The silver is some little nail art yoke I got a million years ago from goodness knows where. It didn't really wanna play ball, which peeved me somewhat.

2013-11-16175826_zps7e539610.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I do like Essie a lot. This is Butler Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I got the Maybelline Express Finish Topcoat too and I love it. It's the best I've used so far, beats the Essie and Sally Hansen ones I have. It was €1.49 in Dealz too.

My nails dry within a minute and are like glass, no smudging etc.

http://www.feminiya.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/review-maybelline-express-finish-nailpaint-5.jpg
    So I'm on the hunt for another topcoat. Seems this Maybelline one picks up the dye from polishes and then when the brush is put back in the bottle its no longer clear, more of a mixture of colours which when put over other nail polish, gives it a dull look.

I'm looking for a topcoat that does the following:

Dries quickly
    Doesn't smudge
    Is glossy

My Sally Hansen ones tend to smudge at night in bed, even if I paint my nails in the morning, so they are fully dry, but at night, I don't know what it is, I wake up with smudged nails.

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

So I'm on the hunt for another topcoat. Seems this Maybelline one picks up the dye from polishes and then when the brush is put back in the bottle its no longer clear, more of a mixture of colours which when put over other nail polish, gives it a dull look.

Dries quickly
    Doesn't smudge
    Is glossy

My Sally Hansen ones tend to smudge at night in bed, even if I paint my nails in the morning, so they are fully dry, but at night, I don't know what it is, I wake up with smudged nails.

Any help is appreciated.

I now you say not Saly Hansen but have you tried the Insta Dri - it really does dry in seconds so shouldn't smudge at night. I've never had any problem with that - It my go to topcoat :)

http://www.boots.ie/en/SallyHansen-Insta-Dri-Anti-Chip-Top-Coat_1038032/

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Dries quickly
    Doesn't smudge
    Is glossy

Any help is appreciated.

Seche Vite. It's about 11 quid in Boots. You apply it generously over wet polish, it dries in about 5 mins and is rock hard within less than an hour. I've done my nails before bed and the next morning no sheet imprints or smudges. It's so glossy it looks like gel nails. If you cap your nails properly you should get a good few days before chips appear. I did my nails last Sunday and only removed polish yesterday as a couple of tiny chips had appeared.

Sally Hansen Insta Dri can do no wrong for me. I usually do my nails before bed and rarely, rarely have smudged nails in the morning.

I'll be trying out the Seche Vite once my current bottle of Insta Dri is dine, have heard great things about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Just a warning re Seche Vite - in California it has some mental health warnings on the box. Really freaked me out recently.

More info here:

http://lacquerglamour.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/seche-vite-and-toluene-harmless-or-harmful/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone find that matte costs and polishes send to wear off really quickly and end up closer to shiny than matte? Is there a way to stop that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone find that matte costs and polishes send to wear off really quickly and end up closer to shiny than matte? Is there a way to stop that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Seche Vite. It's about 11 quid in Boots. You apply it generously over wet polish, it dries in about 5 mins and is rock hard within less than an hour. I've done my nails before bed and the next morning no sheet imprints or smudges. It's so glossy it looks like gel nails. If you cap your nails properly you should get a good few days before chips appear. I did my nails last Sunday and only removed polish yesterday as a couple of tiny chips had appeared.
    Sally Hansen Insta Dri can do no wrong for me. I usually do my nails before bed and rarely, rarely have smudged nails in the morning.

I'll be trying out the Seche Vite once my current bottle of Insta Dri is dine, have heard great things about it!

Thanks so much guys. I'll see if my local Boots have that in stock, if not, I'll order off the website!

I have used Seche Vite before and found it useless, it was one of the worst I've used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Thanks so much guys. I'll see if my local Boots have that in stock, if not, I'll order off the website!

I have used Seche Vite before and found it useless, it was one of the worst I've used.

I'm using an Essie all in one base and top coat atm and I love it! Usually I don't bother doing my nails myself, I just get shellac done as they always chip otherwise, but I used this on Wed night and only started to chip at the tips yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

+1 for insta dry its my go to as well, nothing else will do. I thin its as close to seche vite you could get without all the scary chemicals

Insta dri for me too, I wouldn't paint my nails without it. I actually have a bottle of seche that I bought in the states this summer. I used it once and the chemical smell was so strong (I know all polishes smell but this have me a headache) I googled it and read all the nasty stuff in it and I haven't used it since. Just taking up space in an already crowded box!

These are from earlier in the week, I think all the Christmas trees and light subconsciously made me do a kind of Christmassy mani! It's NYC boundless berry and a nails inc glitter :)

My nails. Not perfect by any means. But just something I thru on cos I didn't want to go to the zoo tomorrow bare nailed!!!

2013-11-20205052_zps18b551c0.jpg

Hdowney - what's the lighter creamy brown colour? If you don't mind me asking :)

Not a problem. It is from the Catrice Ultimate Nudes collection and it is called Petit Four As Dessert :)

These have been on for a few days - fakes from Penneys. Recommend!

I'm in love with this polish. It's NYC Park Ave, really nice formula went on so perfect 2 coats that dries super quick and it's so shiny. My new go to neutral I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Well I just got my first ever manicure at the age of 31. Really enjoyed it, got a french manicure with gel nails which should last a few weeks.

30dik3p.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

The nails look lovely but wow that ring is AMAZING.

Advertisement