Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We got ourselves a Vax one and it seems to be doing the trick with Opie blowing his coat and Abigail smudging cheese and cement (aka soggy Rusks) into the floor. Got a Vax steam mop today as well in an attempt to appear somewhat hygienic if the health nurse ever makes a surprise visit! :pac:

Haha we have a vax mop already. My friend has tempted me to get a handheld dyson! Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

tk123 wrote: »
    Haha we have a vax mop already. My friend has tempted me to get a handheld dyson! Decisions decisions

Handheld Dyson :pac:
    Might as well buy a new house while you're at it :p

I know! I was passing DID today and went in - they only had the newer/more expensive ones for €400+?!!? :eek: She has an older stick one and loves it because it's so easy to use - she does a quick clean more often so keeps on top of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I haven't heard great reports about the handheld dyson, we have a dyson animal and it gets put to the test a lot! I was hoovering up after a husky last weekend and I had to empty it 3 times!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I have a handheld Dyson and it's fab for quick run arounds, but I don't think it would work well on carpet. I also have a Vax which was only about €60 in an Argos sale and it's very very good.

Oh and I'll be at the Ray Coppinger Seminar too, so hopefully I'll run into a few people from here. You're all wearing t-shirts with your dog's photos on them, right? So we recognise each other? :p

• Advertisement

We have a 7-8year old €50 electrolux pimped with turboheads from zooplus but it's on the way out. Also and the heads get clogged up A LOT and it's a bit cumbersome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have a Miele S711 and I find it great for tackling fur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

tk123 wrote: »
    I wish Lucy would get some kid friends - she's terrified of half of them and doesn't mind the rest. Really I just need a kid that ignores her so she can go and have a sniff of them :P

She can have Swanson's, he has too many and whinges to go out and play with them and then whinges when they're not outside to go play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My folks have a Dyson animal for years and it's brilliant, especially for carpet. Haven't tried other brands but if it lasts 8+ years it's worth the investment. They recently got a handheld Dyson animal too, it's a long stick with a little cylinder so no bending. It's not as good on the carpets, but because it's so light and just hangs on the wall it's makes hoovering much easier and more likely to do. Plus no lugging a heavy hoover up and down stairs and trailing a cord behind is a huge plus.

I have a €40 argos hoover, does the job on wooden floors picking up copious amounts of cat hair, not great on carpet.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    My folks have a Dyson animal for years and it's brilliant, especially for carpet. Haven't tried other brands but if it lasts 8+ years it's worth the investment. They recently got a handheld Dyson animal too, it's a long stick with a little cylinder so no bending. It's not as good on the carpets, but because it's so light and just hangs on the wall it's makes hoovering much easier and more likely to do. Plus no lugging a heavy hoover up and down stairs and trailing a cord behind is a huge plus.

I have a €40 argos hoover, does the job on wooden floors picking up copious amounts of cat hair, not great on carpet.

We have wooden floors and runner mats that the dogs like to lie on and deposit hair :p so I was thinking with the convenience we'd vacuum more often and might be able to keep on top of things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My "suitable for pet hair" vacuum couldn't cope with the amount of hair from the JRT so I admitted defeat and dispatched her for a trip to the doggy day spa and got her "sheared", what a difference:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I tried trimming the hair off the end of Dude's stump this evening because when it gets too long he can get some poop caught up in it, only he wriggled a little too much when I was doing it and he now has a completely bald stump! That'll save me from having to do it for a while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We have a handheld dyson (DC35 I think, it's purple) it's great for little spills, cat litter that escapes, etc on the hard floors but for cat hair (and my long hair - OH says I'm as bas the cat) on carpet, it's not great. We have an old VAX that I brought 4 years ago that has survived hoovering up rubble and builders dust, which copes ok with hair combined with elbow grease.

When the VAX dies I'm getting a cat hair one

>_< Baileys chin/jaw is swollen again!! My mum was gardening yesterday and they were both out with her all day so he may have been stung? Only the size of say a grape compared to a tennis ball last time so hoping an antihistamine and some silicea for good luck will bring it down. It's always something! At least this time around we're not in a panic thinking his jaw was broken and he doesn't seem to be in any pain/discomfort! I'll be watching my phone all day now in case I get a call/text to say it's worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

4 cats and none of them has the slightest interest in killing flies.:rolleyes: I bought one of the portable fly killer lamp thingys in Lidl on Wednesday and it's useless, plus it eats batteries.

4 cats and none of them has the slightest interest in killing flies.:rolleyes: I bought one of the portable fly killer lamp thingys in Lidl on Wednesday and it's useless, plus it eats batteries.

We got the same thing for our moths and it does NOTHING!!! What you want is zapper out of Dealz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Despite cleaning it numerous times, we could all still get a smell of cat pee coming from the utility. This is regular enough because of dudes back end being like a leaky faucet but I had washed the floors and counters already, and all the bedding and couldn't figure where it was from. I noticed that there was some old food stuck in the grouting between the tiles so I got a toothbrush to scrub it out and as I was scrubbing the smell of pee got stronger, it was from all the dirt built up in the grouting that the mop can't catch. So I spent hours scrubbing every last inch of the floor with the toothbrush and a basin of bio washing liquid.
    Long story short - the house smells lovely but I have a sprained wrist now :pac:

Well I came home from work early after talking to my mum who was saying Bailey was a bit distressed. Called the vets and while we were killing time to go over I had a closer look at him and what was a simple bump hours before was a bad infection! So glad I came home now and brought him over. A funny thing I noticed - luckily he's usually only in for routine stuff but between this and the last time he had a reaction I realised there wasn't a sound out of him in the waiting room or the examination room AND he wasn't making a beeline for the door - like he knew he was 'sick' and there to be made better. I wonder if his usually crying when he's there for bloods etc is him telling us there's nothing wrong with him and he shouldn't be at the vets lol?! :p

Anyways after some research and YouTube vids I'm going to get a Miele!! There's tons of videos on YouTube were they use a dyson first to clean up go fur, sand etc etc and then a pass with the Miele and its picked up loads that the dyson left behind!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Poor Bailey, hope he feels better soon.

Very quiet here this morning, my son is at camp for the week, Elly and Tara are asleep next to me in bed. It's the first morning this week that I haven't been woken by them going mad at the tractor in the fields!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I have the house to myself this evening so was really looking forward to feet up in front of the TV.
    Didn't last long...
    While I was letting Elly out cos she was doing her mad wee wee dance, Tara stuck her face into my dinner and managed to eat a few bites.
    Then I get a phone call to let me know my son has come down with tonsillitis! He's okay though..

Finally sat down to watch the cube only for the dogs to decide that they don't like the sounds and barked like mad at the TV.
    Another to add to the list of programmes I can't watch with the dogs!!

• Advertisement

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Finally sat down to watch the cube only for the dogs to decide that they don't like the sounds and barked like mad at the TV.
    Another to add to the list of programmes I can't watch with the dogs!!

:D Haha my mum has to restrain herself watching it because she freaks the dogs out cheering/gasping etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Seminar tomorrow!!!

Eeee...

I am daft, I had a dream last night that I met all the boardsies, they were huddled together in a "circle of knowledge," don't ask, too much cheese before bed!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I was going to post it in pet bargains, but seeing the dyson interest here. Dyson having their own eBay UK outlet. They often have great deals on new and refurbished models. You'll need for we parcel motel.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dyson-Outlet/_i.html?_fsub=15237784

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have wood floors everywhere but the stairs, and a fabric sofa, I know the dogs don't shed (well just the odd few stray hairs when you brush them) but we've four cats, two she'd like mad and one is long haired.
    I just use a cheap €40 Hoover I picked up in tesco, has three brushes that I use on the sofa, and on the stairs, never have any problems, it's better than the dyson I had before.

VonVix wrote: »
    Seminar tomorrow!!!

Eeee...

I am daft, I had a dream last night that I met all the boardsies, they were huddled together in a "circle of knowledge," don't ask, too much cheese before bed!

Right so, where are you?!?

Enjoy the seminar guys! I'm toiling away for work - started at midday yesteday and it all went pear shaped! :( Head melted! But at least I can do it remotely - the dogs are asleep beside me lol!

Bailey seems to have an abcess - I've never have to deal with one before but think that's what it is! Will probably bring him back to the vets tomorrow even for a nurses opinion because I'm not sure how they're supposed to look when they're healing? He's on antibiotics and I'm bathing it with salty water like she said but it just looks...gross! We think now that he may have done it when he was rubbing up and down the hedge - his favourite pass time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Right so, where are you?!?

I am wondering where you are as well haha. I'm up at the front lolol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I am wondering where you are as well haha. I'm up at the front lolol.

I'm down the back with my foot up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I have a small brown rodent scampering through the garden. It's 2½-3" long with a tail of similar or longer. It doesn't quite look like a rat size-wise or length of face. The dog has been barking and sniffing quite a bit for the last few days but I thought/hoped it was just after a hedgehog. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Had to take Sammy to the vet on Saturday for his shots and it was really traumatic getting him into the carrier. I tried luring him in with treats, bird videos on the iPad mini, coaxing and pleading... no luck. Finally I had to just corner him and pick him up and shove him in there. He was mewing loudly and terrified. It was awful :( I was worried that when I brought him home he would revert to the scared shy kitty that he was when I adopted him in February but actually the opposite has happened... he's been extra cuddly since yesterday morning. Cats, eh? t09026.gif t09026.gif t09026.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement