Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

job adverts

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me if its ok for a school to say 'experience coaching rugby etc a criteria for shortlisting'? this seems very unfair and Im seeing it a lot. Maybe principals are allowed to do this and Im mistaken if so I stand corrected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

ahahah wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if its ok for a school to say 'experience coaching rugby etc a criteria for shortlisting'? this seems very unfair and Im seeing it a lot. Maybe principals are allowed to do this and Im mistaken if so I stand corrected.

Why does it seem unfair? The ability to contribute to extra-curricular activities is massively important.

Leinster rugby do mini rugby and level one coaching courses each summer. It might be worth your while upskilling and making yourself more marketable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ahahah

chippers wrote: »
    Why does it seem unfair? The ability to contribute to extra-curricular activities is massively important.

Leinster rugby do mini rugby and level one coaching courses each summer. It might be worth your while upskilling and making yourself more marketable.

Upskilling? Im a teacher not a gaelic football/rugby coach!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What kind of job?Is it a PE teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Saw a job in my subjects today that said to be shortlisted you would have to coach GAA. Ridiculous to put that in a job description and says a lot about the schools priorities. Of course extra curricular activities are important but a teacher shouldnt be dismissed for a job simply because they cant coach one element of extra curricular activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Couldn't you just nod your head in the interview.. "ya sure I've a black belt in GAA whatever".... then when you start the coaching you could be atrocious so they would have to get some other teacher to do it the following year.

They couldn't leave you go as a teacher on the grounds that your team didn't win could they...

Although in saying all that you would probably have to give proof of previous extra curricular 'winnings'...

Maybe it's just a way to discourage applicants as it seems weird if the job is for a subject other than PE... but hey ... needs of the school and all that.
    If I see out of the ordinary 'extra requirements' I have my suspicions that the job is well spoken for and that's their way of letting you know not to apply. (unless you do have those actual requirements!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Honestly- sounds like they have 1 person ear marked. Personally- by doing that, you might guarantee 1 person the job but unless you interview some of the field through fair criteria, your school could miss out on the best teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It's absolutely not ok for them to say this. What they should say is: 'experience coaching rugby, etc., a criterion for shortlisting' (not to mention the question of what exactly they might mean by "rugby etc").
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Upskilling? Im a teacher not a gaelic football/rugby coach!!

Upskilling. Yes. Put yourself in a better position to get a job and i've suggested a very good way of doing it. Teaching is more than just academic and there are many different ways to upskill. All im saying is the more you can offer a school the better chance you have of getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

TheDriver wrote: »
    Honestly- sounds like they have 1 person ear marked. Personally- by doing that, you might guarantee 1 person the job but unless you interview some of the field through fair criteria, your school could miss out on the best teacher
    Doesn't sound like that to me. Sport(and rugby in this schools case) is massively important to a lot of schools and being able to contribute as a teacher is vital for the sports continued success in fielding sides etc in the school
    chippers wrote: »

+1 and these mini rugby and foundation level courses are extremely basic and no real prior knowledge of rugby is required to do or pass either course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I've never understood why people complain about this. Extra curricular activities are important for attracting students, especially in areas of high competition for students, and sports tend to be the most noticeable of those. It also helps school discipline as many students respond to sports coaches better than they do to people they only identify as teachers. Of course neither of these things are officially part of a teacher's remit but the fact is that in practice, they are. You can try to pass the former off as the responsibility of the school managers and the board. You can say that a teacher doesn't need to be a sports coach to be a successful disciplinarian (which is true of course, as is the idea that a sports coach is definitely going to avoid discipline problems false) but at the end if the day, the management are going to want to maximise the school's attractiveness and minimise the chances of a new teacher having discipline issues. This is a way to improve the chances of both of those things. It's not fool proof of course but then, nothing is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭doc_17

Saw a job in my subjects today that said to be shortlisted you would have to coach GAA. Ridiculous to put that in a job description and says a lot about the schools priorities. Of course extra curricular activities are important but a teacher shouldnt be dismissed for a job simply because they cant coach one element of extra curricular activity.

I agree that it would be unacceptable to dismiss someone from consideration on that basis. The school are thinking about their own needs. Maybe they have had a few GAA coaches retire in the past year and, as things stand, have nobody to coach a certain team next year. The culture in the school is quite important to that school and if someone can teach the desired subject and is willing and able to coach a GAA team then they will most likely favour the person who can offer the school more.
    Armelodie wrote: »
    Couldn't you just nod your head in the interview.. "ya sure I've a black belt in GAA whatever".... then when you start the coaching you could be atrocious so they would have to get some other teacher to do it the following year.

They couldn't leave you go as a teacher on the grounds that your team didn't win could they...

Although in saying all that you would probably have to give proof of previous extra curricular 'winnings'...

Maybe it's just a way to discourage applicants as it seems weird if the job is for a subject other than PE... but hey ... needs of the school and all that.
    If I see out of the ordinary 'extra requirements' I have my suspicions that the job is well spoken for and that's their way of letting you know not to apply. (unless you do have those actual requirements!).

I'd say this is the case....they probably have someone earmarked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Maybe rugby is part of the successful candidates timetable? This is not unusual in fee paying schools. I have heard of people getting privately school paid jobs that they are not qualified for but because they have rugby etc they get it.

Advertisement