Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Appeal to State Exams?

• 26-07-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

OH was examining oral LCA in April for one week-the exact same layout/list of schools as last year.
    This year his pay is 200e down on last years.
    His breakdown of expenses arrived in post and he was docked considerably on mileage. ( He photocopied claims form before posting it off)
    He is very annoyed and doesn't know whether to appeal it or not. All appeals are to be in writing. He is only been examining the past couple of years and is afraid that if he appeals it will go against his reappointment for next year.
    Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

OH was examining oral LCA in April for one week-the exact same layout/list of schools as last year.
    His breakdown of expenses arrived in post and he was docked considerably on mileage. ( He photocopied claims form before posting it off)
    He is very annoyed and doesn't know whether to appeal it or not. All appeals are to be in writing. He is only been examining the past couple of years and is afraid that if he appeals it will go against his reappointment for next year.
    Any advice please?

I recall a colleague who used to kick up a stink at the correctors conference anout anything and everything, at the end of his rant he would usually add that he would be taking legal action if he was precluded from correcting the following year!
    No harm in querying it if there is a genuine discrepancy and he has proof to back it up.

I copied the milage on my phone but think i deleted the images!! :( I'm sure i'm also down from what i estimated but can't see where now.)

I was also talking to other superintendents and they said they are usually fairly good in the SEC finance section (they rang him before telling him he underclaimed by mistake!). He says they work off google maps too so maybe if he gets the routes and inputs them that way... Also we (superintendants) all agreed what the distance from the post office/box storage to the school was as i was told they cross reference with other superintendents too!

The SEC say to take the best possible route (not necessarily the shortest which is what Google maps will give you) so maybe he was taking alternative routes for a legitimate reason (traffic lights vs' motorway vs' congestion traffic etc).

Also check that he's inputed Kilometers (maybe he put in miles by mistake) or the correct CC (enter the reg online to see if it corresponds to what he thinks is his CC).

It's kilometerage nowadays, but everyone still calls it milage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

If his mileage was accurate, then yes, claim it back. It says on the payslip that they will only take appeals in writing.

I've done it before, where I got paid for the wrong number of scripts, I just sent a letter saying what the correct number was, which centres I had corrected and the number in each centre. They sent the money on a few weeks later.

I can't see how it would affect future employment. I don't think sections within the sec would consult each other to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

my first year they underpaid me by €150 and two years after they overpaid me by €55 so i owed them back that the year after- don't know how that happened!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Any advice please?

I've always found finance very good to deal with in the SEC. Would it be possible that they paid him for an overnight instead of mileage if he was commuting from your home and the overnight worked out cheaper than the mileage?

Advertisement