Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hairdo suggestions!

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hello ladies

I have an event coming up in a few weeks that I want to get my hair done for. I've booked in for an upstyle/styling on the morning of, and was told to have an idea of what I'd like. I'm not good at this kind of thing AT ALL.

Has anyone any suggestions for someone who has:
    - slightly longer than shoulder length
    - very thin hair with not much volume. Wispy you might say.

I'm not sure if this would make a difference but I part my hair at the side.

I used to have lovely thick head of hair but last year I lost a lot of it from stress and Its looked like absolute muck ever since, but its finally starting to get better - I'd really love one day where it would look decent!!

So any suggestions?? :D

Thank you kindly!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

What is your outfit like? I find it easier to pick a hairdo based on the outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

Sorry I should have mentioned that! I cant post a pic or a link because Im a newer poster, but it is an a-line dress without sleeves, wide straps on the shoulders (as in not spaghetti straps), and a v neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've seen people do a 'faux bob' with hair like yours - bit of backcombing, big curls/waves through the length and sort of rolled so that it appears to end above the shoulders? Gives the illusion of lots of volume.
    A bit like this http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/p_bridal_hair/p4001/page14

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've seen people do a 'faux bob' with hair like yours - bit of backcombing, big curls/waves through the length and sort of rolled so that it appears to end above the shoulders? Gives the illusion of lots of volume.

Oh I LOVE this. Little bit worried I wouldn't have the length for it though. Have had my hair curled before and ended up looking like a 3 year old with curls just down as far as my ears!

I'll have a mosey at a few similar styles thanks for the inspo!

PS how do you DO that!! And by do that, I mean just think up a style off the top of your head! Im jealous of the talent :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Fluxfan wrote: »
    Oh I LOVE this. Little bit worried I wouldn't have the length for it though. Have had my hair curled before and ended up looking like a 3 year old with curls just down as far as my ears!

I'll have a mosey at a few similar styles thanks for the inspo!

No bother, just finished doing big curls on a young wan for her debs (she asked for a trial :D ) so your question came at a good time! Hairdresser should be able to let you know whether it's doable anyway. Stress that you want loose but defined curls, not Shirley Temple ringlets - we've all been there! Let us know what you come up with :)

On reflection and looking at my hair in the mirror and looking at the pic you linked me too I really dont think I have the hair for it! Argh grow hair GROW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Op I have hair similar to what you've described here and I too was worried about getting an upstyle for a recent wedding. I wished the hairdresser luck and said I've about four strands of hair so work your magic! She gave me a lovely upstyle and she said I have more hair to work with than I think I have, I'd imagine you'd be the same.

She ended up giving me some sort of bun that was almost folded in on itself (terrible description sorry!) and she put a small flower beside it which really added to it. The only thing is I wish she had gone a little easier on the hairspray because my hair was so thin it damaged it slightly, so maybe ask her not to use so much. You say your hair is slightly below shoulder length so id imagine you've plenty to work with! Google "Jessica alba bun updo", she always has amazing upstyles and it's what I asked my hairdresser to emulate on me!

anna080 wrote: »
    Op I have hair similar to what you've described here and I too was worried about getting an upstyle for a recent wedding. I wished the hairdresser luck and said I've about four strands of hair so work your magic! She gave me a lovely upstyle and she said I have more hair to work with than I think I have, I'd imagine you'd be the same.

She ended up giving me some sort of bun that was almost folded in on itself (terrible description sorry!) and she put a small flower beside it which really added to it. The only thing is I wish she had gone a little easier on the hairspray because my hair was so thin it damaged it slightly, so maybe ask her not to use so much. You say your hair is slightly below shoulder length so id imagine you've plenty to work with!

Thanks Anna, so there is some hope there! Does hair spray damage thin hair do you think? This is the first time I've gone to get my hair styled (apart from trimmed) since my thinning problem so I will be warning her to be as careful as possible to avoid larger than usual clumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Fluxfan wrote: »
    Thanks Anna, so there is some hope there! Does hair spray damage thin hair do you think? This is the first time I've gone to get my hair styled (apart from trimmed) since my thinning problem so I will be warning her to be as careful as possible to avoid larger than usual clumps!

Well id imagine a small amount would be okay and cause no harm, especially the l'oreal ones because I've heard they're kind to hair. However I was literally blasted with the tin of spray before I even had a chance to say anything, that was the only thing I was unhappy about. I did notice too for about a week after my hair just wasn't right and I'm putting this down to the copious amounts of spray that she used. I always think upstyles look nicer with less hair spray anyway when they look more relaxed and looser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement