Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Had to reboot mine due to dire speeds yesterday evening and can confirm it's gone back to non bridged mode. It doesn't look like a full modem reset as the wireless is still disabled. This would be enabled by default IIRC.

Eitherway, rubbish speeds still.... hmmmm on the 240 and getting about 40.

carbsy wrote: »
    Had to reboot mine due to dire speeds yesterday evening and can confirm it's gone back to non bridged mode. It doesn't look like a full modem reset as the wireless is still disabled. This would be enabled by default IIRC.

Eitherway, rubbish speeds still.... hmmmm on the 240 and getting about 40.

Yeah, definitely not a full reset. My WiFi was still disabled, as was the firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

When did this start happening?

I have a TC7200. I had to reboot it on Tuesday night and it is still in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

My TWG was still bridged yesterday, is it just the TC's this is impacting or has anyone else with a TWG also lost bridge? A very unwelcome development to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've a TWG still bridged but there's no way in rebooting if I can help it.

• Advertisement

Dave..M wrote: »
    My TWG was still bridged yesterday, is it just the TC's this is impacting or has anyone else with a TWG also lost bridge? A very unwelcome development to be sure.
    Have you rebooted? If not, then don't. As long as you don't reboot the modem you'll probably be OK (until you have to for whatever reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Mine's a Thompson TWG.

Karsini wrote: »
    Have you rebooted? If not, then don't. As long as you don't reboot the modem you'll probably be OK (until you have to for whatever reason).

Not yet and I see Carbsy did and lost bridge. This is extremely perplexing, I was looking at buying a new Asus to replace my tired C7 but will have to hold off now which is not ideal as my trusty C7 is getting a bit skittery. I was really hoping the TWG would be forgotten by UPC at this point. I realIy struggle to understand their logic. I wonder do they want to harvest our Irish IPv4 addresses for larger markets (UK?) and chuck us all on DS Lite over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

I wonder do they want to harvest our Irish IPv4 addresses for larger markets (UK?) and chuck us all on DS Lite over here.
    DS Lite .....:eek: but does raise the question
    When you lose bridge mode do you get an IPv4 public address or a DS Lite enabled IPv6 one?

DS Lite .....:eek: but does raise the question
    When you lose bridge mode do you get an IPv4 public address or a DS Lite enabled IPv6 one?

Still getting IPv4 myself for now.

• Advertisement

Link below for people to check, the IPv6 test should fail if you are not on DS Lite

http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com

Edit: I presume the router management page should also show DS Lite status but not sure with the TWG, it is fairly aged at this point and my faith in UPC is not at an all-time high.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Alan3002

So came back from work yesterday and the internet and phone wasn't working. Got onto my mate two mates on UPC and theirs was working. Naturally I assumed our setup got messed up somehow.

Reset everything back to factory default. Plugged directly in TC7200 and still no internet. Turns out it was down in our area.

Came back up at half 7. Bridged it as I've always done, plugged into my Archer router and internet wasn't working.

Went back and checked my TC7200 and what did they do, but enable Wi-Free on my router....
    So I had to log into my account and opt out of it and now I have to wait 72 hours for it to take effect so I can setup my Asus router again. Good job Virgin, Good job.

Alan3002 wrote: »
    So came back from work yesterday and the internet and phone wasn't working. Got onto my mate two mates on UPC and theirs was working. Naturally I assumed our setup got messed up somehow.

Reset everything back to factory default. Plugged directly in TC7200 and still no internet. Turns out it was down in our area.

Came back up at half 7. Bridged it as I've always done, plugged into my Archer router and internet wasn't working.

Went back and checked my TC7200 and what did they do, but enable Wi-Free on my router....
    So I had to log into my account and opt out of it and now I have to wait 72 hours for it to take effect so I can setup my Asus router again. Good job Virgin, Good job.
    You won't be able to bridge it I'm afraid. They've disabled it entirely now. :(

You won't be able to bridge it I'm afraid. They've disabled it entirely now. :(

What!?! Seriously!?
    Wow, they are losing major points with me for this. I think everyone knows the TC7200 router on it's own is a complete piece of junk

Wow I looked back on the thread and it seems so. Major disappointment.

carbsy wrote: »
    Mine's a Thompson TWG.

Hey Carbsy, supposedly this is fixed now (per below thread in VM support), it would be great to know whilst this is still topical if you are able to set it back to bridge.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057514734/29/#post97614692

Tks
    Dave

I could kinda bridge but it doesn't work.

They pushed down Wi-Free to me during the outage and even though I opted out of it 5 days ago it's still live and causing issues.

I'm on their forum hoping to get this resolved :/

I could kinda bridge but it doesn't work.

They pushed down Wi-Free to me during the outage and even though I opted out of it 5 days ago it's still live and causing issues.

I'm on their forum hoping to get this resolved :/

Hmm I wonder is it the wifree or that bridge isn't re enabled on the TWG (presume you have the TWG870?)

Hmm I wonder is it the wifree or that bridge isn't re enabled on the TWG (presume you have the TWG870?)

No I'm on the TC7200 here!

Whenever I do the first few steps in bridging process and get less items in UI then I start getting an IPv6 address.

Restore to factory default and I'm back on IPv4 :confused::confused:

No I'm on the TC7200 here!

Whenever I do the first few steps in bridging process and get less items in UI then I start getting an IPv6 address.

Restore to factory default and I'm back on IPv4 :confused::confused:

What are the first 4 digits of the IPv6 address? fe80 or 2a02?

What are the first 4 digits of the IPv6 address? fe80 or 2a02?

Crap I didn't take note and won't be at it again until tomorrow as I've some stuff running for the night.

I was able to run one of those IPv6 websites though and it said "Your all ready to go for IPv6 based websites!" or something along that line.

I'm assuming it's Wi-Free since it's still enabled and has full signal strength by my router.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you might be in DS-Lite mode as well as having Wi-Free enabled!

Sounds like you might be in DS-Lite mode as well as having Wi-Free enabled!

Oh Christ. Everything turned to **** after this outage :(
    I'll be on to the reps tomorrow and hopefully they can resolve this for me.

Oh Christ. Everything turned to **** after this outage :(
    I'll be on to the reps tomorrow and hopefully they can resolve this for me.

You can confirm this by logging into the TC7200. On the home page, you'll see a mention of a DS-Lite AFTR FQDN, and the WAN IP address will be an IPv6 one.

Hmmmm doesn't seem to be any mention of it.

1s4cLlb.png

Yeah you're right. Click Basic along the top and see what you have there. :)

Yeah you're right. Click Basic along the top and see what you have there. :)

Here ya go mate.

dVSvEgv.png

Hmm, so you're definitely not on DS-Lite. Either you're on a proper Dual Stack connection, (not Lite) or your router is establishing a 6to4 tunnel.

Hmm, so you're definitely not on DS-Lite. Either you're on a proper Dual Stack connection, (not Lite) or your router is establishing a 6to4 tunnel.

That reminds me!! When I was doing it that IPv6 page said I'm using 6to4 but I didn't know what that was.

That reminds me!! When I was doing it that IPv6 page said I'm using 6to4 but I didn't know what that was.

That explains it. :)

Nothing wrong with your bridge so. 6to4 is a tunnel service that encapsulates IPv6 packets in IPv4 so you can access IPv6 services without native ISP support. I can enable it on mine but I have it disabled for now. Requires a public IP so doesn't work on a non-bridged connection.

• Advertisement

That explains it. :)

Nothing wrong with your bridge so. 6to4 is a tunnel service that encapsulates IPv6 packets in IPv4 so you can access IPv6 services without native ISP support. I can enable it on mine but I have it disabled for now. Requires a public IP so doesn't work on a non-bridged connection.

Thanks for the explanation!

Hmmm so I should be able to disable this option myself?

Advertisement