Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Private forum Access

• 15-11-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Private forum is operational.

Quick input needed on how we restrict access.

Proposed plan is:

Need to have an Irish team for at least four seasons out of the last 7
    Send an in-game mail to either fewcifur or eoferrall requesting access and including your boards name.

Any criteria that need to be added/subtracted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Maybe have some connection to the offsite too?

So must be a member of the offsite already

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Gelio wrote: »

What purpose does that serve in terms of validation etc? It does force people to go to the offsite, but if a lot of the calls for this forum were made by people who found the off-site too awkward to use... hmm... maybe it is a good point to have in. I'm not sure, what do people think? Remember this private forum isn't out to replace the off-site, but, I'm not sure if it should necessarily be slaved to it either.

My logic was that even though some of the powers of the offsite did ok us having this, boards is still just a discussion forum while br is the main offsite. If are going to be allowed to discuss sensitive material we should make it a priority that we are as tight as if not tighter than the offsite. That way if something does get out the blame isn't on us.

I'm basically saying that if someone has been given access to the offsite there can be no doubt that they have been okayed to see everything to do with the nat team etc. whereas if we were to give someone access who was not on the offsite and something was to happen, even by accident, (granted this isn't likely to happen soon, but in the distant future) then the blame would lie completely with us.

The way I see it is we are are borrowing this right and we should be extra (even if a bit unnecessarily) careful not to stuff it up.

I realise it is just a game and we shouldn't take it too seriously but I'm just thinking that if a good bit down the road something was to happen, this would be a good way of preventing conflict. Judging by how much the community has changed over the past 4 years in my time on the game it is impossible to judge what br Ireland will be like in another 4 years and it might be better to play it safe. Set some solid ground rules early.

Anyone else have any input?

Oh also is there any way we could all be able to see the members that have permission to see the dark arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

i agree, offsite membership should be a requirement. You don't need to be active there, but should have access and been vetted.

As Gelio says, we should piggy back off their requirement, and then have our own also re boards member (obviously) and length in game etc.

Also I guess being known on here in the general forum for a period first?

• Advertisement

Oh also is there any way we could all be able to see the members that have permission to see the dark arts?

Yeah, we'll have an access list sticky in with the charter. So far it's just you, me and Eoferrall. Didn't want to start adding people before ground rules were in place.

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean about being cautious, and we can use the same admittance rules, but was the kickstarter for this forum not that the offsite was pretty all over the place in terms of authorisation etc?

Really though, most of the people will be on the off-site, so there's no huge problem there. It's more a case of how do we check they're on the off-site and they also have access to the NT sections on the off-site.

I'm not sure if it says it anywhere here, but the private forum charter says there's no expectation of executive powers and it's not meant for arguing the finer percentage points etc.

If there's a mechanism there to see exactly who on the off-site has access to the NT stuff then I see no problem putting it in as a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

rules me out so

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

daheff wrote: »
    rules me out so

me to..... due to lost password or mistake in registering ............cannot log on cannot change but very happy to be on boards

If the offsite is going to rule out current members, we should rethink it Fewi. considering there will be no decisions made here, discussions don't need to be as tightly restricted.

We will have to ensure that access is not given out easily though and also people should not be discussing either past matches or upcoming and revealing percentages used on the offsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I don't think there should be an offsite requorement, we all tend to know each other and I can't see any spies sneaking in too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Tbh, I think offsite access will be too large a restriction.

Getting access to the offsite is awkward and ppl avoid doing it for various reasons, by using that as a prerequisite, we are defeating the purpose of this forum i feel.

On a related note, can i have access to the Private forum? or don't you trust me....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So when you say Irish team for 4 out of last 7 seasons, does that have to include most recent 2?
    Does it have to be your primary team or can it be an affiliate?

crisco10 wrote: »
    Tbh, I think offsite access will be too large a restriction.

Getting access to the offsite is awkward and ppl avoid doing it for various reasons, by using that as a prerequisite, we are defeating the purpose of this forum i feel.

On a related note, can i have access to the Private forum? or don't you trust me....;)

Done. I'm watching you though. I have my suspicions.:cool:

Zagato wrote: »
    So when you say Irish team for 4 out of last 7 seasons, does that have to include most recent 2?
    Does it have to be your primary team or can it be an affiliate?

I would say primary, but obviously we are flexible and we know people have left for various reasons. mainly being timing since they now live in a different timezone, and that fact should not exclude them. but those that left in a huff due to certain events in the offsite etc are not welcome until they meet strict criteria!

would it be best to have a little quiz you need to complete and send to Fewi or myself, testing knowledge of BR Ireland... and life in general. I think that would prevent people being that bothered to randomly apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm on the offsite but never visit, so I think of boards as an alternative, I discuss here rather than there as I just don't like the offsite tbh, I wouldn't think it should be criteria. It's a pain getting access there too. Alright, I'm going to send a request for dark arts! I badly need all of your help! :pac:

I don't know what is majorly being protcted from the forum, but I think even knowing of its existance through boards and having an Irish team pretty much makes you legit. We wont be discussing national team content after all. (or at least shouldn't imo).

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm on the offsite but never visit, so I think of boards as an alternative, I discuss here rather than there as I just don't like the offsite tbh, I wouldn't think it should be criteria. It's a pain getting access there too. Alright, I'm going to send a request for dark arts! I badly need all of your help! :pac:

I don't know what is majorly being protcted from the forum, but I think even knowing of its existance through boards and having an Irish team pretty much makes you legit. We wont be discussing national team content after all. (or at least shouldn't imo).

We can be discussing the national team, just not specifics of exact tactics used. but the main reason of closing it off is if posting players you are training etc for advice on training plans etc, don't want the stats visible to the open web!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

eoferrall wrote: »
    We can be discussing the national team, just not specifics of exact tactics used. but the main reason of closing it off is if posting players you are training etc for advice on training plans etc, don't want the stats visible to the open web!
    it be good for stars and scouting players for u20 aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I messaged fewi in game, but just wondering, does this forum exist yet? Can I get link if so? I have some juicy questions / scenario to lay out there! ;)

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I messaged fewi in game, but just wondering, does this forum exist yet? Can I get link if so? I have some juicy questions / scenario to lay out there! ;)

Got it. Will give you access now in a sec.

Ok, so if the off-site requirement is off the table (which I agree with) are we happy with the 4 seasons of Ireland club rugby out of the last 7 before entry?

Lads and ladies, start messaging me or Eof in-game and tell us your boards name and we'll start adding you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

whats the story with me and the fact my irish team isnt my main team?

seanand wrote: »

Good question, because my main team is in Hong Kong!

seanand wrote: »
    Good question, because my main team is in Hong Kong!

In my view that is OK. we are active here in boards and have moved for various reasons and this will not be an official BR NT forum and therefore no decisions are made or documented here.

But I would maybe encourage teams who do not have their primary teams here in Ireland when mailing myself or Fewcifer to say why. ie living abroad and timezones etc

eoferrall wrote: »
    In my view that is OK. we are active here in boards and have moved for various reasons and this will not be an official BR NT forum and therefore no decisions are made or documented here.

But I would maybe encourage teams who do not have their primary teams here in Ireland when mailing myself or Fewcifer to say why. ie living abroad and timezones etc

I suppose I am assistant NT manger so I guess i'm probably safe enough :P

That's why I was trying to go for a certain amount of seasons as an Irish manager, rather than your current status, because most people originated and may have moved to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

i've mailed EOF in-game for access (could have it now but dont know where to look)

i think if theres any doubts with access maybe just check with the rep managers, the in-game mail requirement is the most important bit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Don't worry if you think you are missing anything. It's a pretty dusty place the Private forum at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Davyboy.

Is it still running? how do you get access?

CClampet you have access, you should be able to see it at the top of the forum.

Daveyboy - I know you're Irish etc and been around a while, but rules are rules! ;) send me an ingame email in BR and I will grant you access.

As Zagato has said, it is a fairly dusty place at the moment, but the general forum is not that busy at them moment either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement