Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless policy

• 01-10-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Soeone stays in a homeless hostel and is on housing list.

can the local authority put them back to the end of the list if they go and rent a flat with rent allowance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

do you mean rent supplement perhaps?

i think they need to change the name of rent supplement to rent allowance, it confuses everyone myself included.

I don't know of any legal reason why a local authority could not move an ex homeless person down the housing list.

This is not really a legal matter, however this document says that a person who has formerly been homeless only goes from the highest priority (band 1) to the second highest priority (band 2). People who were never high priority are in band 3.

well done on finding better accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

do you mean rent supplement perhaps?

i think they need to change the name of rent supplement to rent allowance, it confuses everyone myself included.

I don't know of any legal reason why a local authority could not move an ex homeless person down the housing list.

This is not really a legal matter, however this document says that a person who has formerly been homeless only goes from the highest priority (band 1) to the second highest priority (band 2). People who were never high priority are in band 3.

well done on finding better accommodation.
    :DNot me. i heard a woman on the radio. She is Bed and Breakfast and on housing list. She said if she gets a flat rent all/supp the council move her down the list. i think it is unfair she has to go out in the day time from the B+Bbut if she tries to better herself while awaiting a house she is punished

Maybe legal but not just. Disgraceful political B****** that allow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I can see why she'd feel aggrieved.

On the other hand, you can't have someone who has recovered from homelessness and is back getting their life in order jumping ahead of someone who is living in the hostels.

It's a bit like A & E. If someone who was critical manages to make a partial recovery, their priority value can be downgraded and remedy delayed while urgent cases are saved.

It's not like the lady in question is going back to square one with all the regular joes. She's still in a higher priority than the general population.

After having a read of the DCC website, I'm actually impressed at how much thought goes into the process.

Advertisement