Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing this old Sandy Setup

• 26-01-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Well, not really old but at the speed technology moves, Z68 and a 2600 are pretty much archaic :o

Anyway, sitting at 4.5GHz stable at 1.33 vCore and 1866MHz on the memory (it's rated speed). Anything higher than this and the board stops playing nice, then again it is trying to drive the 2600 with HT on and 4 DIMMS of RAM.

I've got a Z77 UP5 arriving on Monday, looking for a 5GHz overclock on that board, and 2GHz on the memory, if the IMC on the chip can do it :o I'll have a mini unboxing/review up on Tuesday I'd say since I've got work on Monday so Ill just be getting windows installed and my RAID set back up and then ill tweak on Tuesday and see what's up. Excited to get my mitts on the board with apparently the best VRM's around :D (maybe the UP/D7 is better but that is one ugly board!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Well, not really old but at the speed technology moves, Z68 and a 2600 are pretty much archaic :o

Dem you , thats my set up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

eoing1 wrote: »
    Dem you , thats my set up :mad:

At least I'm keeping the 2600 :o And my Z68 board isn't actually getting retired, its going into an Ivy build soon (Not mine unfortunately :( )

So the temps are probably gonna be woeful, but its stable enough to use in windows at this clock with HT on.

Edit : Looking at that screenshot now, for whatever reason it looks really fake. Odd. It does actually work, I swear :o

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Edit : Looking at that screenshot now, for whatever reason it looks really fake. Odd. It does actually work, I swear :o

If you look really closely you can see the tippex :D
    What cooler are you using? I'd be worried about frying it !!

If you look really closely you can see the tippex :D
    What cooler are you using? I'd be worried about frying it !!

Damn, I thought I covered it up well ! :pac:

H100 cooler BTW, temps were actually fine, and it was stable enough to game on, just 1.45 vCore 24/7 is a bit too much. Testing 4.6GHz @ 1.375 at the moment.

Gonna try make some more adjustments and take another run at getting the memory run at 2133 later on (since I now dont have work :D )

• Advertisement

Slightly unrelated but I've undervolted the 680, even though it wont throttle cause of the BIOS I have on it, I dont want the card to run over 70 when I get the second card, so I really want my single card to run at 60 degrees at most to account for the 10 or so degrees people seem to say running in SLI says happens to the top card. Off to have a session of borderlands to test out temps now ! (Its already Kombuster stable :D )

Since I can only seem to OC at night, going up slowly from my stable OC of 4.5 GHz. Here's a SuperPI screenshot since I'm bored too !

Looking at the stepping value, does that keep the clock speed constant? ie that value all the time, it wont start at 3.4 and go up to 4.5 as is needed?

Looking at the stepping value, does that keep the clock speed constant? ie that value all the time, it wont start at 3.4 and go up to 4.5 as is needed?

It sits at 1600MHz at idle then goes to 4.6GHz when you put any load on the CPU

My mates says his is at 4.5 idle, I think he said its to do with stepping.

• Advertisement

My mates says his is at 4.5 idle, I think he said its to do with stepping.

He probably means SpeedStep.

Thought I updated this...obviously not :o Now sitting at 4.8 GHz stable, just under 1.4vCore, spent most of my time recently benching on 3DMark 13 so I haven't really tried to get the RAM to its next divider....yet ;)

In other news, second 680 on the way in about 6 weeks or so !

Advertisement