Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭briany

I also think the only reason people want to go to the LLS is for the prize. They constantly struggle to get people for the Saturday Night Show because they don't give the audience a prize.

In the 90s, they got people to go to Talk About by giving out free drink, so I've heard. Well, it certainly stands to reason that you'd need to have been drunk to sit through that anyway. Maybe an idea for the Late Late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I just saw that Hill and Tatum interview. It is humiliating. Would it be possible to set up a petition calling for the removal of Tubridy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I just saw that Hill and Tatum interview. It is humiliating. Would it be possible to set up a petition calling for the removal of Tubridy?

Too soft, alternatives ->

A day of rage

Rolling Hunger strikes

Targeted campaign of effective guerrilla warfare designed to break his will to remain as host

It's not so much that they humiliated him, but he couldn't even handle a simple honest question without tripping over his words. A host should always be confident and never let on like it's the guest leading the show.

briany wrote: »
    It's not so much that they humiliated him, but he couldn't even handle a simple honest question without tripping over his words. A host should always be confident and never let on like it's the guest leading the show.

I don't think they (specifically Hill) humiliated him (though I'd say it was embarrassing). Just that I, as a viewer and stakeholder, felt humiliated by the mediocrity. And, it wasn't just that incident - the way he started trying to act cool in saying that he was "****ting himself" and allowing Hill to keep talking, after the clip had stopped, about which pub he was going to go to afterwards - even then answering him. :eek: In recalling it, I'm utterly astounded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the Hill and Tatum interview? Dont even recognise the names...

Thargor wrote: »

Let me Google that for you... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ghiertal wrote: »
    Does anyone else on here really dislike Graham Norton's show? I find it false and him sycophantic. The fees received by Norton dwarfs the fees paid to RTE's top earners with recent figures showing that Ryan Tubridy is the best paid at €495,000 per annum.

Afaik The Graham Norton Show is an independent company which sells it's show to all interested in buying it.
    Don't see how it matters what he earns or where it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Just the most awkward Ryan Tubridy interview ever. But in fairness if someone is nervous, the last thing you should say to them is you look nervous, that's just going to make them worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

It's a serious cringefest. Don't watch if you are of a nervouse disposition (Tubridy should never re watch).

It had me hiding behind my couch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It's a serious cringefest. Don't watch if you are of a nervouse disposition (Tubridy should never re watch).

It had me hiding behind my couch.

Same here, I actually missed some of it, pulling the couch out from the wall to dive behind it... No, seriously, I was cringing so much, and as another poster said above, he then started to try to act 'cool'.
    Then the next guest, the woman talking about angels-I didn't watch her at all- but noted Tubridy's change of demeanour. He just let her run on, he was so relieved that the earlier interview was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I watched about 3 minutes of last night with Billo, now Bill is an RTE smoothie not in away way an awkward customer Tubs was talking to someone he must say hi to in various RTE corridors a few times a week and yet even that proved much harder work than it ought to have been. The atmosphere was dead, the chat lacked any sort of dynamic or flow. I flick over to the lad from Cork on BBC1 and he's got Tom Cruise (again!) and its all very light and chirpy and even if you know everyone is just there to plug something its so much easier if that's the sort of thing you want to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The show needs to be directed away from the trashy infomercial that it's become and more about personality driven (but not misery) stories... For example, Dolores Keane was very entertaining and should have been kept on for much longer last nite. Instead, they gave a half hour to Louis Walsh's latest vehicle for raiding your little girl's purse, followed by a woman promoting her whore house.. dreadful stuff..

I think it's also embarrassing for RTE that their "top presenter" gets called out as being nervous by a movie star.. I mean this guy is on an absolute fortune purportedly because he is our most talented presenter, and in his fourth season the guests can see that he is nervous.. They are not going to replace him, so the only thing that can help would be to keep all the guests on together and allow them to interact.. This might help give the show some personality, and fill the void that is so obviously there when it's just Tubridy interviewing the guest from his cue cards.

They are not going to replace him, so the only thing that can help would be to keep all the guests on together and allow them to interact.. This might help give the show some personality, and fill the void that is so obviously there when it's just Tubridy interviewing the guest from his cue cards.

I'd love to see the angel lady and Hill/Tatum on the same stage. That would be great car crash TV. She'd just be sitting there to the right of them with a big wide eyed expression on her face, occasionally stroking Tatum on the shoulder or telling them, 'God says you've both been very bold, but he forgives you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

The show needs to be directed away from the trashy infomercial that it's become and more about personality driven (but not misery) stories... For example, Dolores Keane was very entertaining and should have been kept on for much longer last nite. Instead, they gave a half hour to Louis Walsh's latest vehicle for raiding your little girl's purse, followed by a woman promoting her whore house.. dreadful stuff..

I think it's also embarrassing for RTE that their "top presenter" gets called out as being nervous by a movie star.. I mean this guy is on an absolute fortune purportedly because he is our most talented presenter, and in his fourth season the guests can see that he is nervous.. They are not going to replace him, so the only thing that can help would be to keep all the guests on together and allow them to interact.. This might help give the show some personality, and fill the void that is so obviously there when it's just Tubridy interviewing the guest from his cue cards.

Fifth season. He was there for Gerry's tribute show four years ago but he didn't even mention him on his anniversary last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tubridy is a brutal presenter, always has been. But he's male, middle class, from South Dublin, straight, Catholic, white, Fianna Failer, establishment person etc an all round RTE presenter that keeps the conservative audience happy.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Since Ryan Turbridy took it over it now seems to be aimed at people of slightly below average intelligence. I do think Turbidy is a talanted, articulate guy but he has destroyed the Late Late show IMO. He basically has 'tabloided' it up with pointless F list celeb type guests and that awful jazzy, chirpy backing band that adds a soundtrack to this awful show. Always looked forward to the Late Late before he took it over, now I just switch over to something else.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. Since Ryan Turbridy took it over it now seems to be aimed at people of slightly below average intelligence. I do think Turbidy is a talanted, articulate guy but he has destroyed the Late Late show IMO. He basically has 'tabloided' it up with pointless F list celeb type guests and that awful jazzy, chirpy backing band that adds a soundtrack to this awful show. Always looked forward to the Late Late before he took it over, now I just switch over to something else.

You lost me at, "Tubridy is a talented and articulate guy..."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think it should be shortened. Leave people wanting more instead of wishing it to be over.
    They need to change the format. It's probably harder to do nowadays but keeping all the guests on for the remainder of the show works for me.
    If you then start the show with an interesting guest, they will carry their own slot and will also help out if a later guest isn't too entertaining.
    They then have an ability to build a show by picking guests that will bounce off each other etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I still watch it any Friday I am in the house. I enjoy the thread here on boards but the show itself has become so depressing. I know they are trying to raise awareness on various illness and life situations but the stories have started to get lost on me. I start to tune out as the show has become saturated with misery after misery after misery. Make it more light hearted with the occasional heart pulling string story if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The secret to the LLS shows was the changing time sin Ireland for the 3 plus decades the man presented, but it also felt LIVE in the way that in the way the Graham Norton Show now feels. LLS an incredibly pretencious in it's earnesty, a paradox really.

1. Keep all your guests on ALL NIGHT
    2. Have said guests talk actors and guests talk about national stuff and offer opinions on subjects they know nothing about (this was one and if they're unwilling to loop them with alcohol)
    3. Have a leading man who make the guests the stars, by giving them enough rope to hang themselves. The host should be charismatic as any guest when he needs to interject, notice Norton blends into the guests and you rarely notice him until you need to.
    4. It needs to changed/returned to a more panel style show ala The Panel RTE on national topics which was more LLS esque than anything since the 90's and here's the thing RELEVANT

AND NOW LOOK AT THAT ABOVE INTERVIEW COMPARED TO THIS ONE FROM THE SAME YEAR.

RTE could do with loosing a few ratings and reintroducing a bit of bravado, less grave earnest pretenciousness (a a paradox but theu imagine it) and make it something worthy watching.

Telling section about Pat Kenny and the LLS:

This is an AMAZING episode, where Hugh Bonnerville gets and leaves to go backstage for a piss mid show and then you see him return

AT 23:30

• Advertisement

Isn't there, or wasn't there, a poster still on boards called 20Major? I ask because I think Tubridy name checked the poster in an interview one time where he was saying how he doesn't care about online criticism and had a go at critics for hiding behind online handles.

Keeping the guests on all night but that may cost more. Even if it doesn't, you could end up with this incredible imparity of stature where you have the RTE tea lady rubbing shoulders with the likes of Samuel L Jackson and it could just get weird, and not good weird. National cringe weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Isn't there, or wasn't there, a poster still on boards called 20Major? I ask because I think Tubridy name checked the poster in an interview one time where he was saying how he doesn't care about online criticism and had a go at critics for hiding behind online handles.

I would agree with him about ignoring online cranks. But there's a lot of posters online with genuine opinions, and represent how real people in Ireland feel about his shows.. He can simply dismiss them all if he wants, but he would be better to use them as a focus group, because these are the same people that are switching him off every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Another season of Tubridy/Late Late Show has come to an end. Much as it has started and indeed much as it ended last season. We had the usual idolatry of Louis Walsh and the launch of yet another new boy band (as if we hadn't got enough of acts like Westlife, Boyzone, Mike Denver, One D, The 3 Amigos, 6 and Derek Ryan already).

I agree what others said that insulting and hurtful remarks are not called for but genuine issues are not to be ignored. First off, the majority of watchers of the show are probably not into boybands or boyfolk or other such modern Irish music. It is ok to have boybands and boyfolk acts on the show but not all the time. Why do certain personalities hog the show so much too? Louis Walsh, Bill Cullen and Twink come to mind immediately. The fact that Twink did not feature at all this year is amazing.

Again, we will hear in a few weeks from Tubridy that he is to revamp the show, make it his own, etc. and then will commence it again in September exactly the same format and guests as always. Some tips to reform the show:

-If there is a 'misery section', have a separate presenter onboard. Tubridy can't handle serious topics at all.
    -Less baby talk.
    -Less actors starring in films we know nothing about.
    -Less sports personalities.
    -Less boybands/boyfolk acts.

Other forms of entertainment should be included like different types of music and comedy. Have musical guests sing more than just one song. Have musical guests more music than chat orientated. Like last Friday, it would have been nice to hear Dolores Keane sing a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Another season of Tubridy/Late Late Show has come to an end. Much as it has started and indeed much as it ended last season. We had the usual idolatry of Louis Walsh and the launch of yet another new boy band (as if we hadn't got enough of acts like Westlife, Boyzone, Mike Denver, One D, The 3 Amigos, 6 and Derek Ryan already).

I agree what others said that insulting and hurtful remarks are not called for but genuine issues are not to be ignored. First off, the majority of watchers of the show are probably not into boybands or boyfolk or other such modern Irish music. It is ok to have boybands and boyfolk acts on the show but not all the time. Why do certain personalities hog the show so much too? Louis Walsh, Bill Cullen and Twink come to mind immediately. The fact that Twink did not feature at all this year is amazing.

Again, we will hear in a few weeks from Tubridy that he is to revamp the show, make it his own, etc. and then will commence it again in September exactly the same format and guests as always. Some tips to reform the show:

-If there is a 'misery section', have a separate presenter onboard. Tubridy can't handle serious topics at all.
    -Less baby talk.
    -Less actors starring in films we know nothing about.
    -Less sports personalities.
    -Less boybands/boyfolk acts.

Other forms of entertainment should be included like different types of music and comedy. Have musical guests sing more than just one song. Have musical guests more music than chat orientated. Like last Friday, it would have been nice to hear Dolores Keane sing a few songs.

RTE have always lacked imagination and any ability to change,they'll stick with the same presenters and the same format till deaths door.
    Any thing they have ever gotten right has usually been by accident and upon realising they have something popular they proceed to ruin it.

Incredibly the only thing I ever want to watch on RTE is The Savage Eye,I don't know how they've managed it but it's quite an achievement.

Tubb's review of latest season of the LLS

“It's been a most enjoyable season of the Late Late Show that featured all sorts of fascinating newsmakers like the extraordinary Stephanie Meehan of Priory Hall, Majella O'Donnell’s head shave that raised €600,000, Former Bishop Eamonn Casey's son Peter Murphy and the wonderful NASA Commander Chris Hadfield,” says Tubridy.
    “The Toy Show was a blast despite my efforts at singing and dancing. I was intrigued by a comedy hero, Steve Coogan; it's always great to talk to Michael Fassbender; it was a pleasure to celebrate Brian O'Driscoll; I enjoyed the audience reaction to Gary Barlow and Ellie Goulding was a beautiful surprise!
    “I'll be on 2FM all summer but there is a week here and there for downtime which will happen in the West of Ireland as usual but I was thinking of touring about. I got the idea from Kimye . . .”

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0530/620670-ryan-tubridy-upbeat-ahead-of-late-late-finale/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

kneemos wrote: »
    RTE have always lacked imagination and any ability to change,they'll stick with the same presenters and the same format till deaths door.
    Any thing they have ever gotten right has usually been by accident and upon realising they have something popular they proceed to ruin it.

Incredibly the only thing I ever want to watch on RTE is The Savage Eye,I don't know how they've managed it but it's quite an achievement.

That is true. I think that RTE often is a closed shop when it comes to their presenters. From my perspective, Tubridy seems only comfortable when talking about babies and to children and babies! He is no good in a serious discussion and seems to lack knowledge or genuine interest in many things.

RTE have had many good shows (mostly dramas) down the years but I can't help noticing that most of them have been co-productions with BBC or ITV. In its day, the LLS was adventurous and rebellious but certainly has not been either of these during Tubridy's tenure.

Tubridy excels in the Toy Show and he is a genuinely good kiddies TV person. Tubridy is also good with boybands and is comfortable with Louis Walsh and guests like that. But, we then get overdoses of such people to kind of fit with Tubridy's talents, interests and personality.

Perhaps, a show with revolving presenters would be better? Shows presneted by such people as Sean Moncrieff, George Hook, even an odd appearance from Gaybo might be a good idea.

I would agree with him about ignoring online cranks. But there's a lot of posters online with genuine opinions, and represent how real people in Ireland feel about his shows.. He can simply dismiss them all if he wants, but he would be better to use them as a focus group, because these are the same people that are switching him off every week.

It's like a lot of things with RTE programming, though, in that the most vocal online critics appear to watch each episode of their object of vitriol in it's entirety, pick it apart, bemoan every aspect, and then wonder aloud how the hell anyone could watch it. Well, they just have, for one. I think RTE has the rather apathetic attitude of 'a viewer is a viewer', so while people are switching off, they don't seem to be doing so at a rate high enough to really worry RTE. As they regard their voice as insignificant and ineffectual, and people who will watch what they put out either way. People are still watching in their hundreds of thousands and those aren't bad figures for a small country living in the age of highly fragmented media consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'd like to see Derek Mooney have a try at presenting it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

20Major was a blogger - still found on twitter these days - https://twitter.com/twentymajor

I don't think he was ever on boards.

• Advertisement

Link to a page with a full list of the guests on the LLS last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_Late_Show_(season_51)

For me, the lowest point of the year and possibly ever on the LLS, was the Sinitta interview. He spent 30 minutes probing a minor pop star from the eighties about her relationship with Simon Cowell.

"What would Simon say if he was here?"
    "What would Simon have thought about that?"
    Drivel

Advertisement