Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imma gonna be an Emo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Thursday 5th June

Split snatch
    1@60kg

Split Clean & Jerk
    2@70kg

Bench
    3x2@90kg 2RM

Ring Dips
    25 PB

Chinups

Probably going to drop out of nationals. Lack of training and other stuff the past week has left me with shag all motivation. It's a long drive to lift like sh*t.

90kg for doubles were heavy on the bench so I don't think I'm at the ol ton yet but whatever I get it when I go for a max will be a PB so not all bad I suppose.

Ring dips I think I could probably get 30 on another try I didn't go to complete failure because I was quite sandy tonight.

Saturday 7th June

Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x2@60kg

Squat
    5x10@80kg

RDL
    3x6@100kg

Press
    4@60kg 5RM attempt

CG Bench
    6x2@80kg

DB Curls
    2x12@17.5kg

Yeah had a hard enough time convincing myself to just go train today so nationals got the bin.

I'll be mucking about with a few things over the next week and then coming up with some sort of structure for the following week on.

Few things so far are
    1) Work on full snatch (main limiter is upperbody flexibility, lack of sotts press etc..)
    2) Keep at binch until I get 100kg, switch to going for bodyweight press afterwards
    3) High rep squats for about a month then do smolov jr, followed by going for new max pb

Might come up with a few more things on top of that or to support the above but those are the main goals right now. BW Press is the only advanced lift as far as those strength charts go that I'm potentially capable of getting so once I get the bench I'll go after that. Well potentially could attack a 2BW low bar squat but I'm not planning on it any time soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

token wrote: »
    Saturday 7th June

Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x2@60kg

Squat
    5x10@80kg

RDL
    3x6@100kg

Press
    4@60kg 5RM attempt

CG Bench
    6x2@80kg

DB Curls
    2x12@17.5kg

Yeah had a hard enough time convincing myself to just go train today so nationals got the bin.

I'll be mucking about with a few things over the next week and then coming up with some sort of structure for the following week on.

Few things so far are
    1) Work on full snatch (main limiter is upperbody flexibility, lack of sotts press etc..)
    2) Keep at binch until I get 100kg, switch to going for bodyweight press afterwards
    3) High rep squats for about a month then do smolov jr, followed by going for new max pb

Might come up with a few more things on top of that or to support the above but those are the main goals right now. BW Press is the only advanced lift as far as those strength charts go that I'm potentially capable of getting so once I get the bench I'll go after that. Well potentially could attack a 2BW low bar squat but I'm not planning on it any time soon.

SHAME

It's been going this way for a while. I think I'm mid finding another sport I just don't know what yet. /washedup

Monday 9th June

Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x3@60kg

Clean Pulls
    w/ 2" deficit
    3x3@110kg

Squat
    5x10@82kg

Hanging Leg Raises
    3x5

• Advertisement

Wednesday June 11th

Bench
    up to 97.5kg 5kg PB
    fail 100kg twice

CG Bench
    5x10@60kg

S/S
    Front Squat @ 70kg
    RDL @ 80kg
    3x10

Pendlay Row
    5x5@80kg

Press
    6,5,4@50kg

Arghhhhhh godammit. Very close on the bench got it about half way up both times. Technique faltering at max attempts a bit and 97.5kg drained me a bit also. I really want to avoid another bout of smolov so I'm going to give it another go on Wednesday hence all the accessory work afterwords tonight. I'll skip past 97.5kg that night. Tonight I wanted to ensure the 5kg+ PB so didn't go straight to 100kg after 95kg. I'll do another heavy bench session Fri/Sat. If I don't get it then it's back into another cycle.

Bloody hell I was gassing doing that superset. Me no good at high rep front squats.

Monday June 16th

Bench
    up to 90kg
    6x6@67.5kg

Snatch Pull
    w/ 2" deficit
    3@80kg
    3@85kg
    3@90kg loosing a bit of back angle here but f*ck it

Squat
    5x10@86kg

RDL
    3x8@90kg

A half baked idea of trying to go for the bench max again tonight. I was on the sauce all weekend so it was always going to be a bit of stretch. 90kg was really heavy would have got pinned by 95kg. So that's that then and a new cycle of smolov jr starts. I really want to get that bench milestone out of the way so keeping the pressure on.

Tuesday 17th June

S/S
    Press@50kg
    Pullup

Wasn't doing a session today but happened to be down the gym anyway so did this for 20 minutes.

Thursday 19th June

Bench
    7x5@72.5kg

Squat
    5x10@90kg

Pendlay Row
    5x3@80kg

Hanging Leg Raises
    3x6
    + 15-20 second L-Sit

Grand bitta weather for high rep squats. I'm even less enthused on doing the lifts in this weather. With the world cup on as well I'm drinking half the week so just keeping it to strength stuff the next while. I'll start smolov jr on squat also in about a week and just focus on squat & bench and bit of assistance here and there.

Saturday 21st June

Bench
    8x4@77.5kg

Front Squat
    pause @ 3 seconds
    5x5@70kg

Clean Deadlift
    3x3@120kg

Cardio
    Kickin' ball @ 30 minutes

• Advertisement

Monday 23th June

Bench
    10x3@80kg

Squat
    6x8@95kg

High rep squats are not much craic but they appear to be working so best keep at it.

Wednesday 25th June

Bench
    6x6@72.5kg

Front Squat
    w/ 3 second pause
    3@70kg
    3@75kg
    3@80kg
    2@85kg
    1@90kg

Walking Lunges
    steps forwards and backwards
    6@40kg
    6@50kg
    20@60kg just forward

Barbell Row
    10@60kg

Felt a bit drained tonight so I didn't do too much volume other than usual bench and then that last set of lunges. That'll fire up the glutes.

Hmm I think I need to do regular barbell rows for awhile as I was a lot weaker there than I thought I'd be without resetting between reps.

Friday 27th June

Bench
    7x5@77.5kg

Squat
    5x10@95kg

RDL
    3x8@95kg

Monday 30th June

Bench
    8x4@82.5kg

Front Squat
    w/ 3 second pause
    3@70kg
    3@80kg
    2@85kg
    1@90kg

Walking Lunges
    steps forwards and backwards
    6@40kg
    6@50kg
    2x15@60kg forward

Chins

Bench was good felt a good bit stronger than the first cycle of smolov jr when I did the same weight. Looking good now for the ton.

Wednesday 2nd July

Bench
    10x3@85kg

Barbell Row
    4x10@60kg

Front Squat
    up to 90kg 3 second pause
    3x3@80kg

RDL
    3x6@100kg

Smolov Jr W2D4 of Cycle 2 finished. Next week I'm going to call fail week as it's up 5kg on this week and this week wasn't exactly a walk in the park. The goal is to make it through the 6x6 and 7x5 days without failing any reps.

Had planned 6x8@100kg Squats but I would need a spotter and there was shag all in the fitness culture club tonight. Legs were wrecked anyway and there would have been much sadness. I've been bombing about on the bike a lot lately as well. I'll try get in on Friday and give it ago then with W3D1 bench.

Saturday 5th July

Bench
    6x6@77.5kg

Squat
    10@100kg

Clean Deadlift
    3@100kg
    3@110kg
    3@120kg
    3@130kg

Solo training session because everyone else was at new Refugees club. I'm not aware of their bench press facilities so kept it local*

I was a bit nervy with benching and squatting without spotters. I figured I was good for the 6x6 day though which I was so grand. I have a 5x10@100kg back squat day planned before I give up the 10 reps sets and move down but again I need spotters when pushing squats so I left it at one set. Five would have been pretty miserable as well. I wasn't quite 100%

*main reason was out drinking watching world cup night before

Monday 7th July

Bench
    7x5@82.5kg

Squat
    5x10@100kg

Belting out the bench tonight. Next bench session will be a right bitch though. Squats were fairly miserable but they are proving effective. Could start feeling my quads working from about set 3 on and they are sore now post training.

Tuesday 8th July

Clean Deadlift
    5x3@120kg

RDL
    3x10@90kg

GHD Situps
    3x15

Missing training tomorrow so got a quick session in tonight before world cup. I haven't done GHD Situps in ages so I hope I don't get rhabdominals from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Erm, your bench is moving!
    Nice work

Erm, your bench is moving!
    Nice work

Yep going well. I'm planning a full smolov cycle on the squat now also since it seems to be working well for the bench. Going for the 100kg again next week and I'd be very confident of getting it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

token wrote: »
    Yep going well. I'm planning a full smolov cycle on the squat now also since it seems to be working well for the bench. Going for the 100kg again next week and I'd be very confident of getting it this time.

A 100kg squat is well within your reach. Just start using your legs.

Frogdog wrote: »
    A 100kg squat is well within your reach. Just start using your legs.

I can't say I've missed you commentating on my log ya prick

Thursday 10th July

Bench
    8x4@87.5kg 28/32

Front Squat
    1@95kg
    f@100kg

Powerclean
    3@80kg

Bench good. Squat bad. I got more reps than I thought I would on the bench so pretty happy with it. Legs are still tired from earlier in the week but I thought I'd still be able to do 100. All this benching has my lift ratios back to gymbro levels.

Saturday 12th July

Clean Deadlift
    1@145kg
    3x3@125kg

Started benching but only got one rep on first set. I figured as much warning up. Sleep deprived, hungover, didnt eat anything until 5pm trained at 6:30...and so on...and last 8x4 session just took it out of me as well. I'm going to give it another go on Monday and go for the max on Thursday or Friday.

Monday 14th July

Bench 1
    95kg
    2xf@100kg

Bench 2
    94kg
    f@100kg

CG Bench
    3x10@60kg

BB Curl
    3x10@30kg

DB Curl
    2x10@22.5kg

Snatch Grip Press
    3x10@30kg

I had something on tonight and couldn't train properly but was trying to get to gym for 30 minute quick smolov jr session but I got there 15 minutes late and didn't really have time to do anything properly so took a shot at 100kg bench. I got it about 5/8's of the way up this time compared to half the way before. I just couldn't finish it out. Triceps definitely need some boosting if I was to keep the benching up.

Got back two hours later and was peer pressured into going again. Back to half the way up. Finished out with some close grip stuff then a load of messing. The last 3 exercises were all mixed up together.

I'll go again on Thursday/Friday.

Wednesday 16th July

Squat
    3x8@105kg

That's all I did. I wasn't really up for training but had that planned beforehand. Bit on the heavy side. It's at a weight now I find it hard to keep form all the way out so I'm feeling my lower back more than my legs this time.

My non too smart squat plan for next couple of weeks is to jump 5kg every time I back squat and just try get decent sets/reps in until I get to a max. Then look at smolov or smolov jr after.

Should be well rested for Friday benching so. I did 20 minutes upper body mobility stuff at the end after ignoring it just about completely for the last two months of smolov jr. No Bueno.

Friday 18th July

Bench
    100kg

Clean Deadlift
    150kg

F*ck you bench got you at last. 2 cycles of smolov jr for 7.5kg increase and skinny gymbro immortality.

@75kg BW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Nice. Well done!

Tuesday 22nd July

Squat
    3x5@110kg

GHD Situps
    3x15

A PB of sorts on the squat there with 1x5@110kg being the best I've done before. Third set was a bitch but since I listed 5x5 as a goal earlier in the year I decided to give it a go. Buried on the 3rd rep in 4th set. Concentration lapse and I descended too fast. I would have been doing well to get all the 5 reps anyway after previous set.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 23rd July

Press
    3x5@50kg

Ring Dips
    10,10,10,10,6@10kg

Barbell Row
    3x5@70kg

DB Row
    3x15@32.5kg

S/S