Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp/Rising damp/who knows?

• 12-07-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Just wondering can anyone advise. We had a survey done on purchase of our, very old, 19th century townhouse. There was some paint crumbling from the inside front wall but we were advised to dry line the whole front of the house. We did this, all apart from one small are in the hall and now, there seems to be more paint crumbling from there. A reputable damp proofing company have examined it adn said it is rising damp. They have quoted a repair price of €6000, including re-plastering but I have read on many forums that rising damp is frequently mis-diagnosed when in fact the problem is just moisture being trapped. Any ideas or experiences of this or similar problems and any suggestions on how to proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,200 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very often misdiagnosed. These old structures need to breath and will suffer the type of problems you are seeing if improper materials are used in renovation works which attempt to seal the wall surfaces.
    The wall construction will typically allow an amount of moisture in during damp conditions. This is normal and will not cause a problem as the breathability of the wall should keep themoisture at an acceptable level. The walls are of a suitable width that the moisture reaching internal finish doesnt become a problem for finishes etc. After all it has performed ok for over 100 years.
    Have you carried out works externally to this area which might be affecting it? or are the drylining works closeby perhaps and so causing a build up of moisture in the area which would have been free to breath until now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elaine m

Thanks for the reply Mickdw. We have not done anything but the previous owners laid a concrete floor where there had been a wooden one and I'm thinking this may have started the problem. The dry lining is on one side of a stud wall and that stud is also sucking moisture into it but I am not convinced it is rising damp. It's so hard to know what to do as the damp company obviously have a vested interest in diagnosing damp!

Any suggestions? would a reputable builder be a better bet or have you another option?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

do the affected walls sound hollow when tapped? try it and do same on unaffected wall

are the damp company proposing injecting DPC course?

are they offering 25 year guarantee?

what remedial works have they proposed?

hi there
    One of the walls is a divididn stud, between the hall and living room...that is just sucking the moisture from the outside wall, which is solid. will try the tapping. the damp company have proposed the following

Strip plasterwork up to 1.5m on walls as detailed above or higher where indicated on-site. – See quotation.

Drill and pressure inject a horizontal chemical damp proof course to BS 6576/85. A vertical DPC shall be installed at boundary wall junctions. - See quotation.

Scud and 1st render coat of cement and sand incorporation re-rendering additive to our specification. - See quotation.

Tank wall surfaces up to 1.5m above finished floor level in two coats Thoroseal Tanking agent. – See quotation.

Scud and apply 2nd render coat in sand and cement incorporating re-rendering additive to our specification. - See quotation.

To apply thermal board dry lining to the front wall and remove and repair plasterboard of the stud wall to the hallway internal wall. - See quotation.

Note:- Render to our specification. Do not use bonding plaster under any circumstances.

EXTERNAL PENETRATION.
    Works to external surfaces should include:- To be carried out by others

Reduce external level to at least 150mm below floor level where possible.

DRY ROT / WET ROT TREATMENT:
    Preliminary Works:- To be carried out by others.

Initially we would recommend a course of opening up works be
    undertaken. This should include the exposing of heads, lintols,
    joist ends, wall plates and plugs etc. We will re inspect on completion
    of these opening up works.

...what ya think?

It's so expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

elaine m wrote: »
    It's so expensive!

And prohibited by Dublin City Council to be used on protected structures

You need an experienced architect or technician to see the building

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks. If anyone can PM me any suggestions, I would be grateful.
    Or any other suggestions?

Contact RIAI

http://www.riai.ie/

Thanks for that Sinnerboy

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JA1

elaine m wrote: »
    hi there
    One of the walls is a divididn stud, between the hall and living room...that is just sucking the moisture from the outside wall, which is solid. will try the tapping. the damp company have proposed the following

Strip plasterwork up to 1.5m on walls as detailed above or higher where indicated on-site. – See quotation.

Drill and pressure inject a horizontal chemical damp proof course to BS 6576/85. A vertical DPC shall be installed at boundary wall junctions. - See quotation.

Scud and 1st render coat of cement and sand incorporation re-rendering additive to our specification. - See quotation.

Tank wall surfaces up to 1.5m above finished floor level in two coats Thoroseal Tanking agent. – See quotation.

Scud and apply 2nd render coat in sand and cement incorporating re-rendering additive to our specification. - See quotation.

To apply thermal board dry lining to the front wall and remove and repair plasterboard of the stud wall to the hallway internal wall. - See quotation.

Note:- Render to our specification. Do not use bonding plaster under any circumstances.

EXTERNAL PENETRATION.
    Works to external surfaces should include:- To be carried out by others

Reduce external level to at least 150mm below floor level where possible.

DRY ROT / WET ROT TREATMENT:
    Preliminary Works:- To be carried out by others.

Initially we would recommend a course of opening up works be
    undertaken. This should include the exposing of heads, lintols,
    joist ends, wall plates and plugs etc. We will re inspect on completion
    of these opening up works.

...what ya think?

It's so expensive!

Hi Elainem,
    I have been trawling the web as I supposedly have a "rising damp" problem in my house as well. I came across your post and quote from company which I assume is <SNIP> because the quotation/recommendation I got is pretty much word for word what you were given!!
    Makes me very suspicious that this a template and stock answer/quote given!

It may be worth getting an independent surveyor with no damp proofing connections to give his/her opinion before spending the amount you were quoted.

JA1

I dont like the idea of some of the remedies they have suggested. Fair enough injecting a dpc with stop rising damp however you may not have rising damp and if that is the case, it is money wasted.
    The quote also mentions tanking the walls to 1.5m. Given that these walls need to breath, I wouldnt agree with this. This would cover the existing problem but if the moisture is in the wall, it will most likely come out at a higher level so in effect this proceedure would be just moving the problem along.
    IMO, you can either try to preserve the original structure and allow it to work as intended by allowing it to breath etc. This would mean allowing a certain amount of moisture into the wall structure but the thickness and construction material should allow the interior to remain damp free. Alternatively you can go about dry lining the complete internals but again great care would be needed as this can trap moisture too leading to further problems. Some of the rising damp companies are clown and will just sell their products to anyone.

I would suggest that you get an architect with specific experience in this area. I would further suggest that you would look towards all other possibilities of damp penetration before considering the rising damp cause.
    What is the outer finish on the building, has it been changed perhaps from a stone finish to a more modern (wrong) plaster finish,
    Are there open cracks in the structure or pointing missing from stonework?
    Any other defects from what would have been original condition,
    Path/ground levels too high outside?
    damaged rain water goods leaking water?

Then internally, what work has been done, again, modern renders applied? This would effectively seal the wall to a greater extent that would originally have been the case.

Something which is often overlooked also is modern heating & sealing. These houses would originally have been operated with large open fires with temperature rising & falling from morning to night & from day to day with considerable drafts running through the house also. This would have helped balance out the moisture levels. Certainly you should be using adequate vents nowadays to counteract the effects of the modern windows/doors & central heating that you must have. Ive seen a case in uk where the installation of a mechanical ventilation & heat recovery system cured alot of these 'rising damp' problems.
    Most important point here is Dont give these dampness companies any money until you are certain that the work is required because they will come in and fit a dpc and guarantee it for 25 years. However if your problems still persist, they will just say that they had successfully stopped any rising damp but that your problems now are further dampness areas which will need further examination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

mickdw wrote: »
    Most important point here is Dont give these dampness companies any money until you are certain that the work is required because they will come in and fit a dpc and guarantee it for 25 years. However if your problems still persist, they will just say that they had successfully stopped any rising damp but that your problems now are further dampness areas which will need further examination

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Good tread.

I'm now at that point. I've a new build but there are 2 sections of a basement that have dampness coming up from the floor.

I had the walls tanked. There was a 200mm overlap out from the base of the Shuttered wall. After removing sections of the plaster board it seems that the dampness is coming from the floor. I've the usual builder blaming talking guy and vice versa while muggins here is facing a 2k bill for injecting something in to area to seal the concrete.

I was told its about 200euro per metre to do but it will solve the problem. I've been told about using some other method that uses an electric current to repeal the dampness. But both companies have told me that they've not really done this on new builds.

Any one got advice on a new build with this issue?

Your build is very new - right ? Concrete needs 1mm per day to dry out .
    You may have finished out too soon . In the long run that's good . In the short term you may have to put up with spoil decorations .

Good tread.

I'm now at that point. I've a new build but there are 2 sections of a basement that have dampness coming up from the floor.

I had the walls tanked. There was a 200mm overlap out from the base of the Shuttered wall. After removing sections of the plaster board it seems that the dampness is coming from the floor. I've the usual builder blaming talking guy and vice versa while muggins here is facing a 2k bill for injecting something in to area to seal the concrete.

I was told its about 200euro per metre to do but it will solve the problem. I've been told about using some other method that uses an electric current to repeal the dampness. But both companies have told me that they've not really done this on new builds.

Any one got advice on a new build with this issue?

The electro system reverses the charges in the moisture repelling it back towards the ground. It is only for damp and would not be good enough where there would be force of water pressure driving water in. There is an electro system like this in use in Aras an uachtaran (Spelling?)

What system have you used to damp proof the new build basment. I know you said you have the walls tanked but did you tank the outside or inside? Have you got a continuous tanking layer over floor & up walls? Is it protected behind a concrete layer or ?
    Injecting concrete to seal is a notoriously expensive procedure yet very common in commercial buildings where you would be dealing with large scale mass concrete walls with deep basments. Not too often seen in domestic buildings

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Your build is very new - right ? Concrete needs 1mm per day to dry out .
    You may have finished out too soon . In the long run that's good . In the short term you may have to put up with spoil decorations .

It is and your right it there could be an outside chance its still drying out. One thing is that its confined to a small enough area in the context of the whole basement. I had a de-humid in the room for close to 5 weeks. It cleared up all the wet patches but they came back over the last few weeks of heavy rain. I've decoration up on bare walls.... :D
    mickdw wrote: »
    The electro system reverses the charges in the moisture repelling it back towards the ground. It is only for damp and would not be good enough where there would be force of water pressure driving water in. There is an electro system like this in use in Aras an uachtaran (Spelling?)

What system have you used to damp proof the new build basment. I know you said you have the walls tanked but did you tank the outside or inside? Have you got a continuous tanking layer over floor & up walls? Is it protected behind a concrete layer or ?
    Injecting concrete to seal is a notoriously expensive procedure yet very common in commercial buildings where you would be dealing with large scale mass concrete walls with deep basments. Not too often seen in domestic buildings

The company i'm getting to have a look did the Aras. The walls are tanked on the outside, no bear with me I'm not a builder so my explanations may be a big off. There tanked on the outside with Bitchene 8000. Its over lapped on the top of the shuttered wall about 100mm. At the bottom of the shuttered wall where it meets the foundations it runs out about 200mm. All the tanking was protected with insulated boards before back fill was done. IIFC they where continues sheets from top to bottom. I'm digging out the old videos and photos for the pending arguments....

I believe the tanking to be done correct and so does the guy who built the basement, but somethings not right. If the tanking failed I've no real way of proving it without digging up the whole front of the house and sure even if that was done it would more or less ruin it anyhow.

Thanks for the input so far. Sorry for hi-jacking the tread.

What about the base. You dont mention anything about stopping water coming up through your concrete base

I see, sorry. Well its a standard foundation. I'm sure I have the plans somewhere and I can upload them but i don't think there was anything special done with the foundations. There is a Radon Barrior on the inside.

hard to say without seeing what was done. It would have been good to have used 'prepruf' underneath and up sides of foundations & then seal the vertical bituthene onto this giving a complete seal. The prepruf is a v strong material which can be laid onto the ground prior to pouring of raft and concrete poured on it withour damage. As I say, not sure what was done in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 orko

hi folks,

just reading through this old thread... someone i know is having a problem with a company who did damp proofing work, now i don't know all the details so i'm not going to slate anyone (i will know soon) but if the company offered a guarantee and the work carried out didn't solve the issue - does anyone know who or what is the body or agency that would regulate any complaint?

i will be checking the quote give to see if its similar to the same ones given to 'elaine m' and JA1

cheers for any advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

sinnerboy wrote: »
    And prohibited by Dublin City Council to be used on protected structures

Can you send me a link to this fact, sinnerboy....thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

JA1 wrote: »
    Hi Elainem,
    I have been trawling the web as I supposedly have a "rising damp" problem in my house as well. I came across your post and quote from company which I assume is <SNIP> because the quotation/recommendation I got is pretty much word for word what you were given!!
    Makes me very suspicious that this a template and stock answer/quote given!

It may be worth getting an independent surveyor with no damp proofing connections to give his/her opinion before spending the amount you were quoted.

JA1

I'm just doing some further research and have also received the exact same quote (word for word). These guys are cowboys... They feature very prominently when you conduct an online search for damp solutions or treatments so be carfeul...

Advertisement