Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households must pay for water meters.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Correct Robdude!

Make no mistake, we will be paying for our water. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Robdude wrote: »
    Do you believe the budget deficit is caused by a lack of water tax? Is there a huge water debt burden that greatly exceeds the tax revenue collected to pay for water?

If you honestly think the answer is yes; then I fully understand supporting water meters. To be 100% fair - I don't know if this is the case, but I assume it is not. I haven't heard anything about dramatic increases in water costs or water consumption in Ireland.

If the answer is no - then let's address cause of the budget deficit. A budget deficit is when we spend more than we take in. I don't remember hearing about any huge tax cuts; so it would make sense that we start looking at what we are spending our money on, rather than introducing more taxes.

What bothers me about the water metering thing; is that it's being kicked around under the guise of being a rational thing to do. Water isn't free! This is a totally reasonable thing to do! We're not raising taxes to pay for ridiculous stuff; instead we're taking your tax money that used to pay for water and using it for ridiculous stuff and making you pay a new tax for a perfectly reasonable thing - WATER!
    I got the impression from your post that you were asking why were you making a payment and not getting a product / service in return. Perhaps I missed your point?

Edit:
    Then, I'd expect to see *some* tax reduced by that amount.
    And you would, if we had no deficit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

awec wrote: »
    Correct Robdude!

Make no mistake, we will be paying for our water. Twice.

how twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"No double taxation without double representation"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Ireland needs a revolution and the country given back to the people. As much as I like Ireland there is no real future here anymore. I wont be bringing my kids up in this country as I think they would be far better off else where :(.

• Advertisement

how twice?
    You already pay for your water now. Water is not provided to your house free of charge.

This new water meter will be tax on top of the current tax. It is a second tax on water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

how twice?

Because we already pay taxes which pay for water. This new tax will be specifically for water but the original tax will not be removed so we will be paying twice. And if there is VAT three times. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

You already pay for your water now. Water is not provided to your house free of charge.

This new water meter will be tax on top of the current tax. It is a second tax on water.

surely tax youpay now will go towards something else, the cost of service isnt going to double once the tax comes in, thats just ridiculous logic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mondeo wrote: »
    ...I wont be bringing my kids up in this country as I think they would be far better off else where :(.

That notion is sadly understandable.
    The wife and I very recently helped a woman to sell her items off from her home.
    She was selling EVERYTHING, even down to the carpets in her home and the kids toys (Wii and similar consoles), selling everything, even her clothes.
    She was heading with her child and Irish husband to Australia to where she had relatives.
    She simply could not longer afford to live here with her family.

She was not the first to do this that my wife and I have heard of in the last few months alone - and as FG/Labour continue with their disgusting march onwards of bleeding the Irish public stone dry, won't be the last!

surely tax youpay now will go towards something else, the cost of service isnt going to double once the tax comes in, thats just ridiculous logic
    Something else like what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Isn't there a basic right of food and shelter, no one ever said anything about paying a broke Government for the privilege of clean water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

lugha wrote: »
    I got the impression from your post that you were asking why were you making a payment and not getting a product / service in return. Perhaps I missed your point?

Edit:
    And you would, if we had no deficit.

My point is that this isn't about water and justifications about water 'not being free' are irrelevant in this context.

The money raised from this tax isn't to pay for water usage. The money raised from this tax is going to pay for something else people would be more pissed off knowing they were being taxed to pay for.

It's just a deception.

But it's easier to get people to pay more for water (that they already pay for) than to get politicians to justify their spending budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Biggins wrote: »
    There are many on the streets. 2,000+ yesterday in Galway alone. Sadly, the rest of the country won't join them.
    Protesting presumes the government actually cares about what people want. I don't believe they do. And if a protest comes with absolutely no bargaining power, then why wouldn't they just ignore it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

300 to 500 for such a marvellous technological piece of gadgetry a bargain if ever I did see one. Except in this economy I can't see people running to the shop to acquire the latest one.

Something else like what?

like the countries debt? maybe towards paying medical cards/ excessive sw, subsiding college fees? lots of things, just now we have a specific tax for a specific service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If people invested in their own pumps it would work out cheaper in the long run.

Protesting presumes the government actually cares about what people want. I don't believe they do. And if a protest comes with absolutely no bargaining power, then why wouldn't they just ignore it?

Indeed - but they ignore it at their peril.

Gains, even slight ones, will be made by parties once considered unpalatable, by people who have just had enough of the current (or previous) shower.

They can ignore the protests if they wish and its seems they are - but in biting the hand that is feeding them, then ignoring them, they sow possible seeds of hatred, for some other people to reap later.
    ...Then look out!
    Once again the whole political scene might change yet again!

The way things are going, I can't say I don't welcome that change at least, yet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

My point is that this isn't about water and justifications about water 'not being free' are irrelevant in this context.

The money raised from this tax isn't to pay for water usage. The money raised from this tax is going to pay for something else people would be more pissed off knowing they were being taxed to pay for.

It's just a deception.

But it's easier to get people to pay more for water (that they already pay for) than to get politicians to justify their spending budgets.

Fine, but it all amount to the same thing. If they government have to raise X billion in taxes next year and Y of this comes from a direct water charge then , if they succeed in implementing this measure they will need to raise X-Y in other taxes, if they fail they will have to raise X in other taxes. Is the net effect on the taxpayer not the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Indeed - but they ignore it at their peril.

Gains, even slight ones, will be made by parties once considered unpalatable, by people who have just had enough of the current (or previous) shower.

They can ignore the protests if they wish and its seems they are - but in biting the hand that is feeding them, then ignoring them, they sow possible seeds of hatred, for some other people to reap later.
    ...Then look out!
    Once again the whole political scene might change yet again!

The way things are going, I can't say I don't welcome that change at least, yet again!

God you are quite the rabble rouser on this thread.

Sow possible seeds of hatred? You have gone very Fox News on us Biggins. 2000 people at a protest? Wow, just wow. Is that even half of one percent of the population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Lets not forget that person who retired earlier in the year from the civil service with a package of 800,000 euro in which 200,000 euro is tax free and a yearly pension of what? 150,000+

Lets not forget the others alike with massive packages and pensions.

While the paupers (that you and I) with the minimal incomes that are severely reduced are forced to cough up money to keep the over inflated gravy train going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At present the poor pay 3 times as much of their disposable income on VAT than the rich.
    http://www.esr.ie/vol42_2/06%20Tol%20article_ESRI%20Vol%2042-2.pdf

Taken as a % of income this is another disproportionate tax.

It will also contribute to fuel poverty since there will be less disposable income.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0208/1224311464150.html
    He estimated that half the population would be in fuel poverty within five years and 75 per cent within a decade unless steps were taken towards drawing up a co-ordinated energy policy.

Fuel poverty is defined as a household spending more than 10 per cent of disposable income on heating.

So what do we get for the money, for €300 for a meter up front and continuous payments afterwards ?

At present 41%-43% of the water in the mains is lost through leaks For an investment of several hundred million we will be charged the cost of supplying this extra water. Note in Dublin is down to 28% because of investment in fixing the water mains.

Yes it will create jobs, but so too would fixing the water mains.

How much would water charges be ?? http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/waterprojects/Documents/The%20Plan.pdf
    The Minimum Planning Scenario main assumptions are summarised as follows;
    - Full introduction of Domestic Metering & Charging by 2020 – 2022
    - Reductions of up to 20% in personal usage (resulting from metering &
    charging)
    - Reductions of up to 70% in customer leakage (resulting from metering &
    charging)
    - Promotion of best practice demand management including bye-laws to
    encourage low water use
    - Reductions in Distribution Network Leakage (Network Rehabilitation & Active
    Leakage Control) to 20% by 2040 from 29% (2010)
    20% ? A saving of 10-15% in water demand was measured in the UK But consider the population density of south east England "Water resources are already under pressure in many parts of England, with some 25 million people living in areas where there is less available water per person than Spain or Morocco." and their fondness for watering gardens and you'll see that there won't be much scope for reducing water usage here by anything like 15% without charging extortionate prices.

And they want 20% reduction :eek:

So the meters will adsorb a lot of cash and we'll still need to build the infrastructure to take water from the Shannon to Dublin http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/WATERPROJECTS/Pages/WaterSupplyProject-DublinRegion.aspx

What are the costs of bottled drinking water ,
    using rain water for flushing toilets and
    filtered rain water for washing ?

God you are quite the rabble rouser on this thread.

Sow possible seeds of hatred? You have gone very Fox News on us Biggins. 2000 people at a protest? Wow, just wow. Is that even half of one percent of the population?

Its a percent that got up off their backside, like myself and my very old mother managed to.

As for sowing seeds of hatred, I don't think thats an exaggeration at all.
    Are you espousing that FG and labour in their short time in power, have not done this?
    Seriously?
    * Remembers for example: a very recent thread about who is the most hated person recently!

P.S.
    RTE said 4,000 and I thought I was safe being conservative. If they were also conservative by saying 4,000 - its still a hell of a lot of people.
    People by the way like I and others who bothered to care that much, that we travelled right from one side of the country to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

What about those of us who have already paid for meters under a local group water scheme.. man am I glad I didn't pay that household charge..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Isn't there a basic right of food and shelter, no one ever said anything about paying a broke Government for the privilege of clean water.
    LOL

In the UK you couldn't cut off people for non payment of water rates. (or you had to go through procedures, and warnings)

Then they brought in pay as you flow water meters, if you don't pay you don't get water. Not fun on the breadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unless it's specified It's really impossible to say who's paying for water at present. Since it all comes from a general fund, you could argue that over who pays a greater contribution than who. Higher earners who pay the higher rate pay the majority of income tax by far, should they get a larger tax rebate once the burden of paying for water through general taxation is removed? Last year the government's income from industry was over 3 times that from general taxes (CSO), should they get 3 times the rebate once paying via general taxation is removed? Commercial premises currently pay huge charges for water, should their rate be lowered once meters come in?

At least meters will let us know specifically who is paying for what, and give us some control over how much we contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

So, water is the most critical element for life, we can only survive a few days at most without it. and the government is going to do what if you dont have the money? its a death sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

They best be giving me a water filtration system, the perfectly fine tap water leaves green scum residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If people invested in their own pumps it would work out cheaper in the long run.
    i know people who went down that route 30 years ago in rural donegal,my parents been 2 of them,i was down there a little over a year ago when a bill landed for over e800 for water ,cause she kept 2/3 cows the farm was classed as a bussiness.i told my ma at the time i would put in a new water feed for her but she wouldnt have none of it,i would if i lived there i can assure you.they comunity raised the cash years ago to install it and 30 years down the line they want to charge them for it,only in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Its a percent that got up off their backside, like myself and my very old mother managed to.

As for sowing seeds of hatred, I don't think thats an exaggeration at all.
    Are you espousing that FG and labour in their short time in power, have not done this?
    Seriously?
    * Remembers for example: a very recent thread about who is the most hated person recently!

P.S.
    RTE said 4,000 and I thought I was safe being conservative. If they were also conservative by saying 4,000 - its still a hell of a lot of people.
    People by the way like I and others who bothered to care that much, that we travelled right from one side of the country to the other.

If you care about something, fine, but the way you phrase it sounds bitter. Everyone does not have to do what you or your mother does and it does not mean that you or any protester are better then others. It is as invalid an arguement as people who presume unemployed won't get off their backsides to get a job.

Looking at recent polling numbers and being out and about shows a different story where the vast majority support the government and that life is not as bad as a lot of posters here would like us to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

water meter gravy train. Looks like we'll have to pay pensions for another group of people to run the water scam.

Nice isn't it? Lucky I already have a water meter installed. A shovel, some hose and connections to bypass it.

Advertisement