Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 5D III (X) ...

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've got my D3 for over 4 years now, its 4.5 years old as a camera. The D3s and D3X are superior (the D3x has no interest for me at all though). The D4 is out now and is a massive improvement over them all, on par or maybe better with the MK III maybe, I don't know.

When I got my D3 I instantly took better images as it was able to give me what I wanted. The D4, as amazing as it is, as far superior as it is compared to the amazing D3 just won't give me better pictures. It might let me shoot more fps, in lower light (which is something I'd care about and can understand why AR cares about it with regards to gigs!). I have no interest in the D4 or the D4s/X when it comes out.

I think its got to the point where entry level cameras are probably better than pro cameras of 5 years ago regarding image quality, MP count and low light capability.

I guess my question is to AR, has the camera mad you a better photographer or has the MK III allowed you to take the same pictures you would have taken easier, given you a higher percentage of keepers and push the limits of your kit even more?

I know the D3 allowed me to do that a hell of a lot to the point where I thought I wanted more from it. Then more came along in the D3S and D4 and it doesn't interest me. For me, I can see me with my D3 for another 3 or 4 years to come easily unless something comes along thats a real game changer. I also think what I shoot, how I shoot and what appeals to me to shoot with has changed a lot. For all intent and purpose, a 5D, a 5D MK II and a D3/D700 will be capable of producing extremely good results for several years to come (The 5D is still well able to keep up in every day terms with cameras that are 2 generations ahead of it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Good post , makes good points for me cos I don't shoot sports or low light I think the 5 d ii will do me for years to come .

But damn after watching the review on adorama -posted by AR It does seem incredible - I wonder will it drop in price anytime soon :rolleyes: AR how much did you get for your 5dii ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

pete4130 wrote: »
    I guess my question is to AR, has the camera made you a better photographer or has the MK III allowed you to take the same pictures you would have taken easier, given you a higher percentage of keepers and push the limits of your kit even more?

That paragraph nails all the things I could answer, I get more keeprs and my shots are easier to get but yes ofc I feel like trying harder shots (faster moving subjects)

BTW I got to use the video at a gig last weekend and the inbuilt mic is far superior to the mk 2, sure it's still only Mono but the bass doesn't distort at all now!
    and I love how you can now change the settings as you film if need be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMaFfILTnA&list=UUs7UHNSRR7LzHrqkzOVHFVw&index=2&feature=plcp

and I am right 'on top' the speakers....I need to shoot some more with it to get used to the new features that the mk 2 vid didn't have...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

jcf wrote: »
    Good post , makes good points for me cos I don't shoot sports or low light I think the 5 d ii will do me for years to come .

But damn after watching the review on adorama -posted by AR It does seem incredible - I wonder will it drop in price anytime soon :rolleyes: AR how much did you get for your 5dii ?

Kathy Gunn got me the buyer the same day i collected the mk 3...
    €1145

If you shoot landscapes and portraits I'm sure mk 2 is fine enough but I just go so frustrated with the AF on it for fast moving objects...the AF on the mk 3 without repeating myself was worth the upgrade alone for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

jcf wrote: »

That's not really a bargain.
    It's around €2950. If you add the VAT of 21% (over €600), you are already above the price you pay for it in Conns (€3500). That leaves out shipping + custom charges, which you have to add, and that Conns isn't the cheapest store in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

mdebets wrote: »
    That's not really a bargain.
    It's around €2950. If you add the VAT of 21% (over €600), you are already above the price you pay for it in Conns (€3500). That leaves out shipping + custom charges, which you have to add, and that Conns isn't the cheapest store in Dublin.

With shipping it's €3001.54.

Leaving aside import duty and VAT, for €500 I would prefer the peace of mind of buying in Dublin knowing if I had a problem all I had to do was bring it into town.
    Conns will give you a loaner if yours is in for repair and will give you free sensor cleans.
    Send it back to Kea and you could be waiting a month or more. Plus the shipping fee would be expensive.
    The days of buying stuff like this online are gone, the huge savings that made it worthwhile are a thing of the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

jpfahy wrote: »
    The days of buying stuff like this online are gone, the huge savings that made it worthwhile are a thing of the past.

I paid €2700 online for the 5DMkiii delivered which is €800 of a difference and I would consider that very worthwhile :)

I will admit though that it is en-route to my house as we speak so I MAY get stung for customs but even then that's still 300 lids saving which is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Agree completely - it's not worth the risk, even if it was cheaper. You don't have any practical customer service or follow-up if anything goes wrong. It's also good to support local suppliers as much as possible.

For "gadgets" and small odds-and-ends though, it's definitely worth looking at ebay and other overseas suppliers.

I'd love to support local business and do when i can but €800 is too much of a saving for me.

• Advertisement

Ballyman wrote: »
    I paid €2700 online for the 5DMkiii delivered which is €800 of a difference and I would consider that very worthwhile :)

I will admit though that it is en-route to my house as we speak so I MAY get stung for customs but even then that's still 300 lids saving which is not to be sniffed at.

Where did you get it for that price ?

can you post it here or PM me ...

cheers

Dzone2 on ebay. I've bought loads of stuff from them over the years. I checked the listing just now and the price seems to have gone up to £2300, I paid £2195 for mine off them a week ago, if you click on "2 sold" you will see the price I paid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jacob81

I'd love to support local business and do when i can but €800 is too much of a saving for me.

I bought a 5d mark iii/24-105, spare battery & a 32g sandisk extreme pro for €3450 in Portland.. I can't understand how canon can justify charging like this in euro..

Great camera though.. I've upgraded from 5d mark 1. Don't know myself:)

Well it arrived today and I did get stung for customs, another €193 which is a little less than I was expecting so it worked out at a €600 saving in total.

As for the camera itself, it's phenomenal. The focussing on it seems to be much better than the 1d mkiii which was my main worry as that was lightening fast and accurate but this thing is even faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I can get this on financing for 12 months (interest free) for €290 a month ...

I'm tempted ...

Advertisement