Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More gun rubbish from Journal.ie

• 09-09-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/gun-crime-ireland-dublin-west-increase-1662616-Sep2014/

This well gun researchecd kicker line says it all!!

<MOD NOTE> Unfortunately you cannot copy and paste direct quotes from other articles without permission. If you have permission please let me know and i'll reinstate the post. For those interest it references the lethality of a handgun compared to a shotgun.

Funny that...I always thought it was the bullet or shell that killed you not the gun,unless you maybe bludgeoned somone to death with it.But I guess the doctors who wrote this know better.. Now,where do I que up to get my medical degree as it looks like the bar for medicine has been well lowered these days.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    PS Mods,where has the media thread disappered off to?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Quite worrying how people can get away with publishing such complete and utter uneducated rubbish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I love the last line. What a kick in the nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

Illegal guns belonging to drug gangs biggest cause of gunshot related deaths, whilst legitimate guns are subject to stringent control and therefor not the problem.

Way better than any of the recent attempts, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I suppose a larger magazine capacity explains higher mortality from hand gun injuries. From three feet it's kind of hard for one coked up scumbag to miss another coked up scumbag in the classy neighbourly watering hole and since restraint and fire discipline are probably fairly low on the agenda I can imagine that out of every 10 rounds fired there must be at least three or four hits.

Having said that, round for round from a short distance I'd still rather face being hit with a 9mmx19 than with a 12g.

Comparatively speaking the handgun round would be like being hit with a sledge, the full blast from a shotgun at short distance would be more of wrecking ball sort of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Read somewhere else that the report stated that most shootings with a handgun took place in the head/chest area while shootings with a shotgun were on the legs and other minor areas which accounts for the difference in fatality rates.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Read somewhere else that the report stated that most shootings with a handgun took place in the head/chest area while shootings with a shotgun were on the legs and other minor areas which accounts for the difference in fatality rates.

That to me says a lot more about the perpetrator's intention than it says about comparative lethality of the gun used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Funny that...I always thought it was the bullet or shell that killed you not the gun,unless you maybe bludgeoned somone to death with it.But I guess the doctors who wrote this know better.. Now,where do I que up to get my medical degree as it looks like the bar for medicine has been well lowered these days.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    PS Mods,where has the media thread disappered off to?

Not sure why your getting so worked up? When the article says "handguns kill x amount of people"... ya know it gets the point across. If you really want to get technical about it, you could argue that bullets dont kill either - that its really the heart failure/blood loss/lung collapse that causes death.

As for the article itself, I thought it was reasonable. It mentioned that killings are gangland killings.... it doesnt even try make it sound like licenced holders are doing these killings... as matter of fact the only mention it even makes of licenced holders is to say that firearms are tightly regulated in Ireland which keeps incidents low which Id say is a fair statement.

Im not seeing whats causing upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That to me says a lot more about the perpetrator's intention than it says about comparative lethality of the gun used.

Didn't say it reflected their lethality, it explains their data. They said more died from shootings with a handgun than a shotgun...yeah because the the former tended to target more critical areas.

The article makes it sound like loads of new, lethal hardware is hitting the streets and the old school shotgun doesn't cut it anymore when in fact, a shotgun to the side of the head would do you in just as good.

At least when I read the report on RTE they explained how different areas were targeted etc. which helped explained the difference in death rates. TheJournal just completely omitted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect range is also a factor.

I wonder if they took "he's obviously dead, straight to the morgue" situations within the hospital's catchment into account.
    Blay wrote: »
    The article makes it sound like loads of new, lethal hardware is hitting the streets and the old school shotgun doesn't cut it anymore when in fact, a shotgun to the side of the head would do you in just as good.
    It's difficult to do this with a shotgun without the intended victim noticing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What is causing the upset is the utter idiocy of
    1] A medical journal written by "professionals" spouting such rubbish in the first place.And its not the FIRST time the IMJ has been wrong on firearms related matters in Ireland.

2] Its alot harder to counter a professional with a medical degree in the eyes of Joe and Jane Murphy than it is for you and me to say they are wrong in a debate. After all they must be alot smarter than either of us if they are doctors ..Right??

3] Handguns to the general Irish public provoke an image of fear,terrorism or nutty Americans rather than a ligit sporting device.Ever wonder why the media always puts up a picture of a handgun on a crime story?Even if the story had nothing whatsoever to do with a shooting. It is a subtle mass conditioning tactic that has been used since ww1.
    4] The absolute technical rubbish of saying a" low velocity shotgun".
    is less leathl.Funny how now shotguns are low velocity and handguns and rifles in the Irish media are always high powerd.

5]The clickbait central.ie[ Journal.ie] has had a consistent anti gun and hunting agenda since it was put online.It seems to take every last little gun incident in the US,that doesnt even register in the US media and make a big song and dance of it over here.ASFIK it has never given any gun owners or Irish shooting organisation here a right of replyin a fair or balanced manner and seems to bar anyone with a pro gun attitude or commentary of over one month when they reply.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I suspect range is also a factor
    Then you are better off with a shotgun then.Trying for long shots with a handgun is a very difficult skill to learn and to keep proficient with.

Not if it is chopped down to around 12 ins overall length.Commonly known as a "Lupara" it was the favourite of the Sicillian mafia hitman who were known for "up close and personal" work.Two shots were all these or any professional hitman would ever need .Here we seem to go for the LACentral gang banger style of hit men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

1] A medical journal written by "professionals" spouting such rubbish in the first place.And its not the FIRST time the IMJ has been wrong on firearms related matters in Ireland.

2] Its alot harder to counter a professional with a medical degree in the eyes of Joe and Jane Murphy than it is for you and me to say they are wrong in a debate. After all they must be alot smarter than either of us if they are doctors ..Right??

Ok, look, maybe because its late or something but Im still not seeing what exactly is wrong with that article?
    3] Handguns to the general Irish public provoke an image of fear,terrorism or nutty Americans rather than a ligit sporting device.Ever wonder why the media always puts up a picture of a handgun on a crime story?Even if the story had nothing whatsoever to do with a shooting. It is a subtle mass conditioning tactic that has been used since ww1.

Ive worked with radio and newspapers in the past and I can tell you here and now there is no conspiracy there. And this doesnt just apply to shooters. There are so many theories out there about papers. That they are out to get rid off guns, owned by Jews so we wont say anything bad about them, taking back handers from [insert name of] local hard man/councellor/business man to make stories go away.

Mostly they report local/national stories, they arent experts on everything and definitely not shooting. Usually they'll have a folder full of stock photos that they have commericial rights on and just insert whichever one they personally think looks good with the story. In other words, they dont know any better. There is no conspiracy to blacken shooters and turn the general public against them and brainwash people. Yeh you might one or turn journalists with an axe to grind- but there is no grand conspiracy going on.
    4] The absolute technical rubbish of saying a" low velocity shotgun".
    is less leathl.Funny how now shotguns are low velocity and handguns and rifles in the Irish media are always high powerd.

Well its debatable. Are we talking buckshot or birdshot? You know I have seen Garda Siochana getting this one wrong over the years and journalists eagarly jot down what was said and then print it. And not just on shooting issues either.

Actually to be honest with you, come to think about it, I dont think I could even draw the line myself on where low power rifle meets high power? At a guess Id say .223 would be just crossing the line for high power. Think I might have to do some googling :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

A rise in the number of moralities is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

While no fan of any article misrepresenting firearms, this one is not the worst. The article should forget about the firearms involved and look at the ammo. What the article should actually say is, getting shot with 9mm is more likely to cause death than being shot with no.6 birdshot or whatever random hunting cartridge was acquired.

I suspect range is also a factor.

I wonder if they took "he's obviously dead, straight to the morgue" situations within the hospital's catchment into account.

Victor, I reckon I could confidently challenge anyone who hasn't received any good handgun training to put more than 50% of rounds on a 2 foot square target at 30 meter and come away winning in the vast majority of cases.

Different story with a long arm of any nature, they're just easier to fire accurately.

Ultimately I don't even know why we're discussing an article in the Journal that has nothing to do with licenced sporting equipment.

Feral scum will kill feral scum and if the imports of illegal handguns can't be stemmed at source it's going to be the tool of choice for the next while.

Shotguns just don't seem to be fashionable for the avarage gangster killer but sure that's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I don't see what the fuss is over, the article makes no mention of sport shooting and only mentions licensed guns to acknowledge that firearms are highly regulated in Ireland. I also think its important that the public is informed of the prevalence of crime in Ireland, be it gun crime or any other type of crime, the writers are therefore only doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

gunny558 wrote: »
    Ok, look, maybe because its late or something but Im still not seeing what exactly is wrong with that article?
    It didn't draw a distinction between injuries caused by accidents from licenced firearms holders and intentional assaults by criminals. And it happily mingles the two groups without a second thought. That's the problem. As it's written now, the average Joe Public can't tell that the rise in shootings is solely the fault of the rise in drug gangs and associated crime, and when we've just had a few Ministers for Justice bring in onerous laws governing firearms licencing to be seen to be "doing something" (as opposed to actually addressing the problem), that sort of article isn't good for us.

Sparks wrote: »
    It didn't draw a distinction between injuries caused by accidents from licenced firearms holders and intentional assaults by criminals. And it happily mingles the two groups without a second thought. That's the problem. As it's written now, the average Joe Public can't tell that the rise in shootings is solely the fault of the rise in drug gangs and associated crime

That's a very good point. But I think that the inference is that the rise in shootings is exactly because of intentional shootings by criminals, and I can tell you I'm as Joe Public as you'd get.

You can tell me that, but we saw McDowell and Ahern both bring in even more draconian laws on the basis that it would help curb the rising trend in gun crime that they were both presiding over (and which that article is reporting on). And on the basis of an ill-informed public and some never-quite-so-far-over-the-line-that-we-could-sue-them statements in public and some protected ones in the Dail, we were put in the same box as the drug gangs and the firearms act was rewritten to crack down on legal firearms ownership heavily, while doing the square root of nothing to influence gun crime from the drug gangs.

So any media article that reports on the rising gun crime levels without clearly showing that this is down to the drug crime levels rising doesn't help us; and any such article that mentions us and those drug gangs in the same page without drawing a very clear line dividing us is actively harming us.

Fair enough, you are very knowledgeable on this subject, I have seen your previous posts and respect your opinions.
    However I still don't think that this particular article is as bad as it warrants so much focus here, its a journalistic piece, its not peer reviewed and if so would have had to be far clearer and could have stood up to scrutiny by the likes of Sparks, but its redeeming quality imo is that it rightly acknowledges the stringent gun controls that exist in Ireland, something which I think the public should be made more aware of.

• Advertisement

Victor, I reckon I could confidently challenge anyone who hasn't received any good handgun training to put more than 50% of rounds on a 2 foot square target at 30 meter and come away winning in the vast majority of cases.

Different story with a long arm of any nature, they're just easier to fire accurately.
    If one were inclined to go shooting people (I don't even have a gun), walking into the pub with a pistol and shooting them from 2 metres away is much more practical and certain than doing the same thing with a shot gun (sawn off or not). Bringing a shotgun indoors has the problem of manoeuvrability and one would likely only have one or two shots to hit the target with - one could easily be found wanting if those two shots miss or there is a misfire. If I had a shotgun, I'd likely be shooting them in the car park, from a distance and may only hit them with a few pellets.

I suspect this is how a lot of these shootings go down.

gunny558 wrote: »

Ive worked with radio and newspapers in the past and I can tell you here and now there is no conspiracy there

So have I and I'd seriously beg to differ on that one..
    And this doesnt just apply to shooters. There are so many theories out there about papers. That they are out to get rid off guns, owned by Jews so we wont say anything bad about them, taking back handers from [insert name of] local hard man/councellor/business man to make stories go away.

Well, we could debate that all night here including people like William Randolph Hearst, Rupert Murdoch,Ted Turner, and how they have had their grubby paws in influencing global and national events. Lets not forget our own humble RTE and influencing presidential debates and elections with Twitter social media comments that they never botherd to verify.
    So its pretty hard to say the press is an unbiased lilly white organ on many issues.

Mostly they report local/national stories, they arent experts on everything and definitely not shooting
    Then 1[]they should stop mis reporting the information that they are fed and go and do some basic journalistic research to verify the facts...Not a difficult thing these days with google ,etc

There is no conspiracy to blacken shooters and turn the general public against them and brainwash people. Yeh you might one or turn journalists with an axe to grind- but there is no grand conspiracy going on.

OH PLEEEEEUUUUZEEE!!! Gunny if you think that will wash....stock photos....No pictures in the stock of a pile spilt castor sugar posing as cocaine??Nah! Stick a Glock up thats just as good.I dont know where you were when Dunblane was happening and the aftermath of that but the UK press and media were leading a virtual lynch mob against gun owners and shooting organisations. There was factually more air time given to the Snowdrop campaign,Gun control network,and disgusting toe fethists like David Mellor MPwho branded all gun owners as "perverts and psychopaths."

Well its debatable. Are we talking buckshot or birdshot? You know I have seen Garda Siochana getting this one wrong over the years and journalists eagarly jot down what was said and then print it. And not just on shooting issues either.

Thank you just proved my point.ZERO research or checking of facts...
    Shure its coming from a Garda they must be experts too and tell the truth all the time..:rolleyes:
    Proably why we have Ryan J Reily in Huffington post in the USA claiming E.A.R. plugs were "rubber bullets" fired in the Furgeson, Missouri riots.And getting utterly slagged ,and rightly so , for it too online and in print.:P:P:P

Actually to be honest with you, come to think about it, I dont think I could even draw the line myself on where low power rifle meets high power? At a guess Id say .223 would be just crossing the line for high power. Think I might have to do some googling :P

Save you the bother...Its pretty simple anything that burns powder in a controlled explosion in a tube to push a lead projectile is going to have some pretty "high power" behind it. EG a 9mm coming down a standard 5in barrel will have initlally 950 HP behind it.[Thats three artic tractor units five or take]

Its a emotiveor dramatic,very quantative term that looks good in a report ,but in reality means is like saying a "high powerd car".Whats a low powered car for comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

As one of those "professionals" you seem to despise , and one of those "professionals" that is a firearms owner;

Would you kindly post a link to the medical journal article?

Trauma doc,
    Dont be so sensitive.Just because I said medical professionals doesnt include every last doctor,nor was it implying YOU personally! But if you want to feel so sensitive and "despised" go right ahead,your right as with everyones else's "right" to be offended these days about everything!...If you want a link I'm sure you can find it in the Irish medical journal quicker than I can.Surprised that as a gun owner you wouldnt find your colleuges finding and inaccuracy a cause for concern???

If one were inclined to go shooting people (I don't even have a gun), walking into the pub with a pistol and shooting them from 2 metres away is much more practical and certain than doing the same thing with a shot gun (sawn off or not). Bringing a shotgun indoors has the problem of manoeuvrability and one would likely only have one or two shots to hit the target with - one could easily be found wanting if those two shots miss or there is a misfire. If I had a shotgun, I'd likely be shooting them in the car park, from a distance and may only hit them with a few pellets.

I suspect this is how a lot of these shootings go down.

People have survived being shot with handguns of various calibers quite often. Not many have survived being hit with a swarm of sub missiles being released with one shot. Mr Gilligan being a recent example.If he had been in the WC and they had been using shotguns...He would be in the very hot eternal Garda interview room at the centre of the Earth by now
    .Especially in the situation you describe. Conceilblity a chopped down shotgun to an OAL length of 12 /14 ins is also known as a "Whippett" [As in Whip it out] from under your coat ,it can be as easily hidden as a handgun.Misfires,with a DBBL?You would have to be VERY unlucky for that to happen and you have an entirely seperate firing mechanism for the second barrel.Most of the bodged hits here have been because of handguns jamming or misfiring on the assasin and them not knowing how to clear stoppages .
    A "few pellets" at a distance as you describe can kill you just as much if they hit you someplace vital like in the neck and nick an artery.
    However,I guess lawmen and crimanls have been all wrong for the last 200 years in using shotguns,chopped or otherwise to settle their differnces of opinion,as have most armies in introducing the shotgun to their equipment inventories.

However,I guess lawmen and crimanls have been all wrong for the last 200 years in using shotguns,chopped or otherwise to settle their differnces of opinion,as have most armies in introducing the shotgun to their equipment inventories.
    You mean people who have been trained in the use of firearms? And have used them before? And can put rounds on target consistently? And remember to clean them / chamber a round / off the safety?

If one were inclined to go shooting people (I don't even have a gun), walking into the pub with a pistol and shooting them from 2 metres away is much more practical and certain than doing the same thing with a shot gun (sawn off or not).
    That's not quite in line with what firearms actually do in reality. (For a start, a shotgun's pellet spread is going to be between half an inch and an inch per yard from the target, so up close it's for all intents and purposes a .72 caliber rifle. The reason they're seeing more fatalities from pistols than shotguns in that report seems more likely to be that criminals using pistols are actively trying to kill someone and will keep on shooting to ensure that; while accidents with shotguns don't happen that way, they're one-off accidents that people immediately seek medical attention for).

Mod Note: And none of us are terribly happy about the idea of discussing the "best way" to shoot a human being in this particular forum guys. Could we knock that aspect to this thread on the head please? Thanks.

Sparks wrote: »

Mod Note: And none of us are terribly happy about the idea of discussing the "best way" to shoot a human being in this particular forum guys. Could we knock that aspect to this thread on the head please? Thanks.[/b]

Finally someone said it. Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Did you actually read the IMJ article or are you relying on the media to accurately report what was in the IMJ?

The increase in gun crime presenting to Connolly could easily be explained by the massive increase in the population that has occurred in the last 15 years. The media want a story if that line was in the IMJ piece you can be sure it was not reported in the media.

Advertisement