Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fitzgibbon Cup 2015

Options
  • 12-01-2015 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

That time of year again. WIT won last year as rank underdogs and are that again despite what I would consider a handy group, Mary I would expected to be reasonably strong also. The winner of that most likely makes the semi, would be surprised were either side to fall to UUJ or DIT (though they took WIT to extra time last year.)

Group of death features UCC and UL again, with NUIG joining them. Once again the Cork and Limerick Universities are favourites for the competition, but both had star studded line ups last year and failed to make the final. Of the two, fancy UL to fair the better though they have to play UCC away so may be facing the winner of Group A which features UCD and CIT, who lost out in the final last year.

Tony Kelly has left LIT, and for them to have any chance they would want to have been short a few players yesterday. Have thrown up reports of the Waterford Crystal games for lineups, if you've any knowledge of whose involved with the respective college teams please throw em up. You'll be able to follow the competition from this website http://www.he.gaa.ie/

Might go to UL v GMIT but would expect it to be one sided, but I think I'll head down for the semis and final so will be able to throw up reports on those.

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/01/10/waterford-crystal-cup-preliminary-round-cork-v-ul/

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/01/09/waterford-crystal-cup-preliminary-round-tipperary-v-mary-i/

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/01/11/waterford-crystal-cup-preliminary-round-waterford-v-lit/

Laois and Antrim beat UCD and DIT comfortably respectively but can't find reports. Carlow and NUIG drew. CIT and WIT will be out in the next round of the Waterford Crystal.

The draw is as follows:

Group A

1 DCU 2 Cork IT 3. UCD 4. St.Pat’s Drumcondra

Group B

1. UCC 2 GMIT 3. NUI Galway 4. UL

Group C

1. IT Carlow 2. WIT 3. Maynooth University 4. Mary I Limerick

Group D

1. Limerick IT 2. UUJ 3. DIT

First Team Named Has Home Advantage in Group Fixtures

Round 1 - Thursday, 29th January 2015

All Groups

Team 1 v Team 2

Team 3 v Team 4

Group D

Team 3 Bye

Round 2 - Thursday, 5th February 2015

All Groups

Team 3 v Team 1

Team 4 v Team 2

Group D

Team 2 Bye

Round 3 - Tuesday, 10th February 2015

All Groups

Team 2 v Team 3

Team 1 v Team 4

Group D

Team 1 Bye

[E.T. if necessary in Knock-Out Stages]

Quarter Finals – 17.02.15/18.02.15

Group Winners Have Home Advantage

E Winner A V Runner Up B

F Winner B V Runner Up A

G Winner C V Runner Up D

H Winner D V Runner Up C

Semi-Finals – Friday 27.02.15 – Limerick IT

E v G

F v H

Final – 28.02.15 – Gaelic Grounds, Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

Start of the Fitzgibbon today and just looking at the different college panels and think it's a three horse race with UCC CIT and UL and fancy CIT to one step further than last year have very strong team with the likes of bubbles o Dwyer and Aidan Walsh finding it hard to look passed and fancy them to win today against DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Start of the Fitzgibbon today and just looking at the different college panels and think it's a three horse race with UCC CIT and UL and fancy CIT to one step further than last year have very strong team with the likes of bubbles o Dwyer and Aidan Walsh finding it hard to look passed and fancy them to win today against DCU
    All those teams are like you said real chance

Lit don't rule out either

Mary I have mickey browne goal herihly and colm Barry cork and course awesome majestic cian lynch

All those teams are like you said real chance

Lit don't rule out either

Mary I have mickey browne goal herihly and colm Barry cork and course awesome majestic cian lynch
    Is Cian lynch able to play ? Is he not fresher as he was playing Harty cup last year

Red card for DCU player 5 mins into game

Is Cian lynch able to play ? Is he not fresher as he was playing Harty cup last year

He's fresher yeah you right as I'd Morrissey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Is there any websites where I can get score updates for todays games?
    Tried gaa.ie and cant find a link....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The_Banker wrote: »
    Is there any websites where I can get score updates for todays games?
    Tried gaa.ie and cant find a link....

Twitter best bet.

UL 0-09 Nuig 0-05

UCC 2-07 GMIT 0-02

DCU 0-06 CIT 0-06

Approaching half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

CIT backs average enough, don't think they'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

LIT can afford to leave Jamie Shanahan and the Clare Shane McGrath on the bench... they look to have a pretty decent team on paper.

UCC have some serious firepower in their team, and some great star names.

GMIT & DCU panels look weaker than those 2 & UL, on paper CIT wouldn't look as strong as those either.

What are WIT like this year?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    LIT can afford to leave Jamie Shanahan and the Clare Shane McGrath on the bench... they look to have a pretty decent team on paper.

UCC have some serious firepower in their team, and some great star names.

GMIT & DCU panels look weaker than those 2 & UL, on paper CIT wouldn't look as strong as those either.

What are WIT like this year?

Panel looked alright to me, though they got a bit of a beating when they played Waterford. I'm not sure if Bonner is involved this year.

If they beat Carlow today I think they should make the semi finals of the Fiztgibbon.

UCD look to be the real dark horse, but tough side of the draw. They have some seriously talented players there in Cian O Callaghan, Conor McDonald, Cillian Buckley, Matthew O Hanlon and Colm Cronin.

• Advertisement

UCC lined out as follows today:

1. David O Gorman (Cork)
    2. Killian Burke (Cork)
    3. David Glynn (Kilkenny)
    7. Shane Roche (Waterford)
    8. Daniel Roche (Cork)
    6. Tadhg Bourke (Waterford)
    4. Michael Breen (Tipperary)
    9. Rob O Shea (Cork)
    10. Jamie Barron (Waterford)
    11. Barry Lawton (Cork)
    25. Tom Devine (Waterford)
    12. Conor Lehane (Cork)
    13. Anthony Spillane (Cork)
    14. Shane O Donnell (Clare)
    15. Alan Cadogan (Cork)

Number 5 Cormac Murphy did not start. I have listed them as they lined out but given them the number as per programme (I wasn't at the game by the way, all from twitter). John Power (Kilkenny) wasn't fit to play. That is some team they have. Thought they might be opposable but undestandable favourites on paper anyway.

Results from the early games:

UCC 3-19 GMIT 0-08
    CIT 0-17 DCU 1-06
    UL 2-24 NUIG 0-09

Holders WIT beat IT Carlow on a scoreline of 3-13 to 0-09 points.

The teams were as follows:

WIT: Walsh, Fox (Tipperary), Teehan (Kilkenny), Jerome Maher (Waterford), Tomas Hamill (Tipperary), Martin O Neill (Waterford), O Dwyer, Stephen Roche (Waterford), Langton (probably Kilkenny :P), Austin Gleeson (Waterford), Paudi Mahony (Waterford), Gavin O Brien (Waterford), Liam McGrath (Tipperary), Harry Kehoe (Wexford), Jake Dillon (Waterford)

Carlow IT: Clancy, Doyle, Ryan, Palmer, Young, Doughan, O Hanlon, Prendergast, Taggy Fogarty (Kilkenny), Micheal Harney (Waterford), Ian Byrne (Wexford), Stephen Maher (Laois), Cha Dwyer (Laois), Fagan (Meath), Bolger

Strong looking Wateford side on paper as I said and were very under-rated coming into the tournament. Serious statement of intent, would expect them to still be major players at the business end again. Goals from Ciaran O Brien, Austin Gleeson and Liam McGrath.

Today's full results:

Fitzgibbon Cup Group A
    DCU 1-6 Cork IT 0-17
    UCD 1-23 St Pats/Mater Dei 1-6

Fitzgibbon Cup Group B
    NUI Galway 0-9 UL 2-24
    UCC 3-19 GMIT 0-8

Fitzgibbon Cup Group C
    IT Carlow 0-9 Waterford IT 3-13
    Maynooth University P-P Mary I

Fitzgibbon Cup Group D
    Limerick IT 1-17 UUJ 0-11

How do we all see the second round of fixtures going tie if the round looks like WIT v Mary I or LIT v DIT can't see any shocks happening should mostly be all comprehensive winners apart from the two fixtures I mentioned above and fancy WIT and LIT to prevail in what I see as tight matches

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Tight the whole way and UCC beaten by 2 points UCC 19 NUIG 21

Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...out?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Orizio wrote: »
    ...out?

UCC must beat UL next week to progres

That's a massive shock... UCC have some serious hurlers in their team, and UL absolutely hammered NUIG. I would have expected UCC to be slightly better than UL this year. Big ask for them to go and beat UL now whose points difference probably means they are through.

If GMIT beat NUIG, UCC would still go through. Saw the 2nd half of UL v GMIT, will post when I'm on the laptop.

Other Results:

Group A
    CIT 1-19 St. Pat's 1-14
    UCD 2-16 DCU 1-14

This means CIT & UCD are through as expected, both winning 2 from 2 so far.

Group B
    UL 1-24 GMIT 1-11

In addition to NUIG beating UCC, it means UL are pretty much through, having hammered NUIG. You'd expect NUIG to go on and beat GMIT, but they don't have a good points difference. If UCC do beat UL, both will probably go through... if UL win, then NUIG will likely go through. You'd expect UL to go all out though, dumping out UCC in the group stage would be a big help to them.

Group C
    Mary 2-19 WIT 0-10

A huge win for Mary I against the holders pretty much puts them through, Maynooth play Carlow IT tonight. You'd still expect WIT to beat Maynooth and get through in 2nd place.

Group D
    LIT 1-18 DIT 1-13

2 wins from 2 for LIT and they are through, between DIT & UUJ for the other quarter-final spot.

3 Limerick colleges look set to progress, that's good for the county. LIT in particular are backboned by Limerick natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Other Results:

Group A
    CIT 1-19 St. Pat's 1-14
    UCD 2-16 DCU 1-14

This means CIT & UCD are through as expected, both winning 2 from 2 so far.

Group B
    UL 1-24 GMIT 1-11

In addition to NUIG beating UCC, it means UL are pretty much through, having hammered NUIG. You'd expect NUIG to go on and beat GMIT, but they don't have a good points difference. If UCC do beat UL, both will probably go through... if UL win, then NUIG will likely go through. You'd expect UL to go all out though, dumping out UCC in the group stage would be a big help to them.

Group C
    Mary 2-19 WIT 0-10

A huge win for Mary I against the holders pretty much puts them through, Maynooth play Carlow IT tonight. You'd still expect WIT to beat Maynooth and get through in 2nd place.

Group D
    LIT 1-18 DIT 1-13

2 wins from 2 for LIT and they are through, between DIT & UUJ for the other quarter-final spot.

3 Limerick colleges look set to progress, that's good for the county. LIT in particular are backboned by Limerick natives.

That's a massive win for Mary I against the holders... Anyone got the teams for the limerick colleges?

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    That's a massive win for Mary I against the holders... Anyone got the teams for the limerick colleges?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/ul-finish-gmit-off-with-19-without-replay-in-independentie-fitzgibbon-cup-30967722.html

Scorers – UL: T Kelly 0-7 (3f), K O'Brien 0-5 (1f), J Forde 0-4 (2f), PJ Scully 1-1, T Heffernan 0-3, J McGrath 0-2, D McInerney & D Quinn 0-1 each.

GMIT: T Haran 0-7 (6f, 1'sl), J Flynn 1-3, D Burke 0-1.

University of Limerick: P Maher; J Brown, D McInerney, E Moriarty; D Quinn, B Troy, B Stapleton; J Forde, T Kelly; J McGrath, S O'Gorman, T Heffernan; K O'Brien, C Martin, M Carmody.

Subs: B Maher for O'Gorman (49), D Morrissey for Stapleton (52), T Cleary for McGrath (58).

GMIT: D Starr; P Fox, I Creaven, K Lane; P Hoban, K Kennedy, D Burke; P Flanagan, D Conroy; J Flynn, S Collins, C O'Donnell; N Keary, S Lawless, T Haran.

Subs: D Cooney for Collins (45), M Hannify for Flanagan (52), L Cosgrove for Kennedy (61), D McGreal for Hoban (62).

Just two Limerick players in the starting team; O'Brien and Carmody... O'Brien scored 0-5, 4 from play, which is very impressive. Carmody back in the forwards, after playing in the backs for Limerick recently. Very versatile player, think he's played for Limerick at underage & senior level in every single line bar goalkeeper. Dan Morrissey came on too, hadn't been in the team during the Waterford Crystal Cup.

Apparently Reidy & Hannon were class for Mary I- they were at 10 & 11 respectively; Richie English and Darragh O'Donovan also started from a Limerick pov at 5 & 12, with Jody Hannon, Kieran Cleary, Kieran Larkin & Brian Finn on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Big shock for UCC! Should make an interesting game against UL the next day. I imagine the Limerick side will be trying to knock them out at the group stage rather than meet them later on in the tournament. When and where will that game be played? Definitely worth travelling to.

I was thinking PJ Scully got 1-1, but you don't have him down on the team at all fireball? Wearing 20 something on his back, so I'm assuming he was a sub.

Saw the second half, UL didn't have it all their own way for a lot of the game. They were being outfought in my eyes for the first 10 minutes of the second half (0-8 to 0-6 was the half time score in favour of UL) by a physically stronger looking GMIT team. They didn't pose too much threat up front and their scores all seemed to be coming from frees.

Then a long range free dropped short and was poorly batted out by a UL defender, where Jason Flynn was waiting at the edge of the box just left of the goal and he unleashed a thunderbolt into the far top corner. Outside of that, the game bypassed him in the second half and the only ball I can remember him contesting in the air after Dan Morrissey won brilliantly over his head.

That goal seemed to spur UL into action, a fantastic point by Forde around that time keeping the score ticking over. Tony Kelly stood up and hit two brilliant point from the wing and suddenly every shot UL took seemed to be heading over, another great point by David McInerney from about 90 yards or more out and also a great individual point by Kevin O Brien when he made an excellent catch, bet his man and stuck it over from the right sideline.

Thomas Heffernan made a break through the middle and handpassed off to Scully who buried it from close range and that put them 12 ahead. It was clear that UL were the classy side, some of GMIT's hurling was very poor. They didn't show the stomach for a fight early on which would be a concern. It might simply be a case of expecting a handy win after last weekend and that they are focused on bigger challenges ahead. Certainly, their display in the last 15 minutes would endorse their claims as frontrunner. Daire Quinn, McInerney, Kelly, O'Brien were best. Carmody was poor, and Jack Browne looks a touch slow to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any reports?

Only caught some of the first half. Bobby Duggan was the standout player by a mile in the little i saw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any reports?

Only caught some of the first half. Bobby Duggan was the standout player by a mile in the little i saw

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

deisedude wrote: »

From what I've seen of Duggan he looks like the real deal, I'd say he'll have a big year for Clare, tony Kelly in good form for UL, getting anxious from a limerick point of view!

cul beag wrote: »
    Big shock for UCC! Should make an interesting game against UL the next day. I imagine the Limerick side will be trying to knock them out at the group stage rather than meet them later on in the tournament. When and where will that game be played? Definitely worth travelling to.
    Matadyke cork Tuesday at 2

Mehapoy wrote: »

Mary I would have corry And I think colm Barry may started corner backs
    Riche English john meager tipp and tom Stapleton half backs

Seamus Kennedy tipp football probably midfield

Forwards would be corry, Donovan, Hannon niall o meara tipp lad senior panel last year and dual players terrific hurler
    Don't know full team but that is core Mary I

I forgot mention Reidy who played forwards

And Steven Cahill probably played midfield

Full back and one other place I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Saw the Mary I game today. They were incredible. Game was over very early. John Meagher outstanding at center back. Liam Corry played Liam Mc Grath out of the game. David Reidy superb up front with Darragh O Donovan and Bill O Meara impressive too. Sham Kennedy and Ronan Maher solid in midfield. Phenomenal team they have. Will take some stopping. Jake Dillon didn't get a puck the whole game.

Advertisement