Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness DVD's - Ladies motivation is needed!

• 22-01-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Have noticed in the What made you smile/Cry thread that a few of the ladies (myself included) are doing the 30 day shred (and some other exercise DVDs) to get fit for the New Year! I know myself I'm having a bit of a struggle to stay motivated with the aching muscles - perhaps if we had a thread for this kind of thing we could motivate each other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Great idea, LMP. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred too, was on day 4 today.It's going well. I sprained my ankle in a dance class this week so it made the "jumping around" section tougher today but I got through it okay. I like the format of the workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I did Day 1 yesterday and am currently a broken mess but going to do it again tomorrow regardless of ability to move. I think its definitely the push ups that broke me - I can't do them for the life of me...

The push-ups are my downfall too, even the sissy ones are so hard! But I have become less tragic at them over the days so I have faith that one day I may be able to do an ACTUAL push-up. Just one, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    The push-ups are my downfall too, even the sissy ones are so hard! But I have become less tragic at them over the days so I have faith that one day I may be able to do an ACTUAL push-up. Just one, mind.

You should try the 100 push up challenge.

http://hundredpushups.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Where's the best place to buy the 30day shred online? Are there different versions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I got mine on play.com, it's €7 with free delivery there at the moment. Jillian Michaels has other DVDs but there's only one called the 30 day shred.

I have mine about a year now, and have started it a bunch of times but never made it past 2 weeks. I still managed to notice a difference in my push ups within the 2 weeks though. :)

Next time, I'm sticking it out til the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I use Carmen Electra Aerobic Strip. It is soooo much fun! Some of it's tough but sure just go at your own pace. It's a 4 disc set with lots of different things to keep you interested. You might feel a little silly but sure it's just you at home!

And when you get more confident it comes in handy elsewhere ;):pac:

The best thing I do to keep motivated is exercise classes. I find when I'm at the gym I can get bored and just quit when I want. You pretty much have to stay the hour at a class. I found a few at home I really liked and went religiously for years. Can be touch and go to find the right one for you, but when you do its great. And don't be scared, any good instructor knows you have to go your own pace. Went and checked the student gym today and my new college and got the class schedule. Super unfit right now!

Day 6 for me today. Weirdly, it was the hardest! I think it's because my form is getting better with the weights. I "get" the motion I'm supposed to be doing now, rather than just moving the weights from point a to point b. So, the weights are getting harder to do. Enjoying it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I've been pondering whether to buy that Jillian Michaels DVD, it seems to be getting good reviews here anyway :)

Do you need dumbells though? I don't own any, nor do I have much money to buy some. And I doubt the college gym will let me 'borrow' a set everyday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Might also try the Jillian Michaels DVD. Exercise classes are good but some instructors makes me angry. I did aqua aerobics when pregnant and this one lady that was doing omg I was ready to get out of the pool and push the bitch into it

• Advertisement

EmilyO wrote: »
    Do you need dumbells though? I don't own any, nor do I have much money to buy some. And I doubt the college gym will let me 'borrow' a set everyday :pac:
    You could always just use tins of beans or .5L bottles of water or something.Or you could have a look in dunnes, I got some there last week for 6e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

ive got davina mcalls new DVD, finding it really good, i like it cause she seems to get out of breath and laugh at herself in it, not like some where they take it so seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I've been hearing loads of good review on the Jennifer Ellison one, so ordered if from amazon. It arrived the other day- just have to start it now! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So tempted to do the 30 day shred. Looks so tough though, but I guess it's meant to be. :(
    I have never been able to complete one sit-up so I think it would be challenging.
    The only workout I usually get is 9 hours of sitting on my arse all day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

The Bob Harper cardio shred is great tough out :) DVD is about fifty min and u feel every minute of it!!

Posy wrote: »
    So tempted to do the 30 day shred. Looks so tough though, but I guess it's meant to be. :(
    I have never been able to complete one sit-up so I think it would be challenging.
    The only workout I usually get is 9 hours of sitting on my arse all day. :o
    I've ordered the 30 day shred on numerous recommendations. I am a member of a gym but often it's a struggle to persuade myself to go as it's 20 mins drive there and back because of traffic and it puts me off. If I could head off into the sittin room and do my workout I'd be far more motivated, or so I hope!!!

If I could head off into the sittin room and do my workout I'd be far more motivated, or so I hope!!!
    That's the cool thing about it, there's barely any preparation for it. Makes it tougher to be lazy about it.

Posy, if it makes any difference the focus is more on crunches than on sit-ups.

Nice to hear the other dvds people are using too, some of them sound interesting.

Anyone else (I guess specifically those doing the 30DS) having ankle pain? I know it's not from doing the lunges incorrectly, it has to be the impact of the jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

i used 30ds for three days and i couldnt walk up or down the stairs! it nearly killed me!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That muscle soreness doesnt last if you keep up with any programme. Its just your muscles adapting. Its at its worst 48 hours after exercise. Too long a break before you start back again, means youll get it all over again. Theres an incentive not to quit.

• Advertisement

i think thats where i went wrong i completely stopped but people at work had me worried telling me about trapped muscles or something and if i didnt rest it'd never get better! but in fairness thats how bad i was it looked sore when i was walking. it was comickle!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

talkin wrote: »
    i think thats where i went wrong i completely stopped but people at work had me worried telling me about trapped muscles or something and if i didnt rest it'd never get better! but in fairness thats how bad i was it looked sore when i was walking. it was comickle!
    It can be so bad you walk like an arthritic 80 year old (which Im doing today as it happens, after a race!) but it is normal. Eventually it gets to be a good pain because it means you worked hard.

must get back into it this evening. no pain no gain eh :(:D

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Anyone else (I guess specifically those doing the 30DS) having ankle pain? I know it's not from doing the lunges incorrectly, it has to be the impact of the jumping.
    Make sure your knee doesn't go past your toe - your foot & knee should be on a straight line.

Make sure your knee doesn't go past your toe - your foot & knee should be on a straight line.
    That wasn't the issue, turned out to be a separate thing altogether that was just being exacerbated by the jumping. Had a few rest days and it's fine now. Is anyone on Level 2 yet? How are ye finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

thinking of purchasing this after reading this thread!! I need to get fit and do something other than walking and zumba once a week. was member of a gym, but couldn't afford to keep it up, so for €8 thereabouts i'll give this a shot! I see you need weights, would ankle weights be ideal or has it to be dumbells?? thanks for the help.. will let ye know when i get the dvd and how i am after day !!!:eek:

Me after my first go at Level 2:
    SuperStock_1850-4625.jpg

Getting better though; it's not quite as brutal as it was made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Ah lads I'm terrified!! I'm planning on starting this on Monday. Is it really hellish? Am I right in thinking the work outs are only 20 minutes?

I r scared :(

It's not that bad, Lucy. At least, I don't think it is. But I'm not on level 3 yet. I was on the ground like that the first time I did level 2; it's tough on the arms which are my weak spot.

Yup, it's only 20 minutes. You work up quite a sweat in that time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'm kinda looking forward to it - sadistic witch that I am :pac:

I'm reasonably fit but I'm finding it harder and harder to get to the gym. At least with this I have no excuse:D

Advertisement