Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choose correct makeup shade as gift

Options
  • 04-12-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I would like to buy a hamper of mac/bobby brown mineral makeup for my wife for xmas. The problem is, whilst I'm slightly educated in this field (ensure correct shade etc) I need some advice.

I want to do this as a surprise but I don't know what shade to buy for foundation etc. Is there anyway I can find out what shade to buy without alerting her to the gift idea? All thoughts/info welcome

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

DJDOO wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to buy a hamper of mac/bobby brown mineral makeup for my wife for xmas. The problem is, whilst I'm slightly educated in this field (ensure correct shade etc) I need some advice.

I want to do this as a surprise but I don't know what shade to buy for foundation etc. Is there anyway I can find out what shade to buy without alerting her to the gift idea? All thoughts/info welcome

thanks in advance!

Has she any mac or bobby brown foundation bottles lying around that you can take a peek at the shade on the bottle? It's usually at the bottom of the bottle. Take a picture of the shades and bring them into the bobby brown and mac counters and they'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DJDOO

Thanks anna for your reply.

At the moment she doesn't have any mac or bobbi brown makeup, this is where I'm stuck :( Would you have any other tips...I don't want to have to resort to getting a voucher as it kind of takes the good out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

DJDOO wrote: »
    Thanks anna for your reply.

At the moment she doesn't have any mac or bobbi brown makeup, this is where I'm stuck :( Would you have any other tips...I don't want to have to resort to getting a voucher as it kind of takes the good out of it!

What foundation does she have? You could take a pic of it and a pic of the name of the shade and the girl at the counter may know the correct shade to match it to. Or you could post it here and someone who is the same shade may know!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

If you can put some of her current foundation in a little pot, the SA should be able to make a close match from seeing the shade on skin in person. A photograph really won't be helpful in this case!

I would say though, foundation is one of the toughest presents to buy for someone else. Would it not be wiser to get an eyeshadow palette or gift set instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Or you could book her in for a makeover at one of the counters, prepay for x amount of products, and then she could have her makeup applied and then get the exact shade she wants. You can then bring her out on a nice date night seeing as she'll be wearing a full face of makeup after the application :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

What about getting the name, colour etc of her current foundation, then buying another bottle and bringing the new bottle into MAC/Bobbi Brown etc and have them match up a shade?

It means buying an extra bottle of foundation, but then maybe she might like that as she could keep the Bobbi/Mac one for special occasions, nights out etc.

If it is any help I use No7 Stay Perfect foundation in the shade warm ivory, but in MAC I am NW20 and in Bobbi Brown I use the shade warm ivory during winter and sand in the summer. In their tinted moisturiser I use the shade "light tint".

Personally I would buy a bottle of her current foundation (depending on price of course) and ask them to match it up.

If she uses a foundation that's sold by another brand in brown thomas, just ask the girls at the MAC/Bobbi Counter to match to that shade without having to buy a second bottle of her current foundation maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

You could also try using findation.com to find a matching colour. You just input the colours she uses atm and it matches similar colours in other brands. One idea that you could do when you buy is to could ask them to give you a little sample that she can try first to make sure the colour is good. That way if she isn't happy they should exchange the unopened makeup for a different shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Don't do it, OP! Foundation comes in all different shades depending on the brand. I know Bobbi Brown has loads of different shades, it would be very hard to find the perfect one, you would just be wasting money. Even it you matched it with one of her foundations it could look different on her skin. Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AJmakeup

I agree with Lia Lia above, foundations make look similar in the bottle but many oxidise and change colour after a while once worn on the skin. The make up of the product might irritate her skin in comparison to the make up of the product she currently wears! She would need to speak directly to the professionals in store to give some guidance and help choose shades and foundation types, because it's not just shade you have to worry about - there's also whether she wants light / medium / full coverage, SPF / no SPF etc

Someone already mentioned above to book in for a make over along with a voucher? Most places will give the makeover for free providing products are then being purchased so this might be the safest route to go! No point in investing in expensive products and they going to waste after one use! With a makeover she can wear it throughout the day and if she finds she doesn't like it by the end of the day she can return the unopened bottles / swap for a ligther / darker shade! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DJDOO

Thank you everyone for your help!!! Lots of useful info, I especially like the idea of requesting a make over!
    Thanks all...Happy Xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

miss-p wrote: »
    You could also try using findation.com to find a matching colour. You just input the colours she uses atm and it matches similar colours in other brands. One idea that you could do when you buy is to could ask them to give you a little sample that she can try first to make sure the colour is good. That way if she isn't happy they should exchange the unopened makeup for a different shade.

Amazing web site, thanks for sharing.

Advertisement