Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is Fair City filmed?

• 05-02-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Watching Fair City the other day and started wondering where it is filmed?

Are any of the pubs real businesses or just sets?

Just interested to know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sets in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a set out in RTE. I have walked its streets :D Not sure if all of it happens there but most of it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

It's only when you realise the scale of the infrastructure for a production like Fair City that you appreciate the commitment a television station must make in creating a soap.
    It is also only then that you realise why RTÉ cannot bring themselves to ditch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    It is also only then that you realise why RTÉ cannot bring themselves to ditch it.

Don't know would I agree with that totally, the save a fortune by signing the cast up on short term contracts and then "resting" them for the vast amount of the year. The majority of the main roles only work 15 weeks a year. I know for a fact that one of the longest running members of staff earns less than 30K. I'd well imagine that the sponsorship of the show pays for the vast amount if not all of the costs. There's no real cost for RTE in having the set on site, sure the land would only go to waste otherwise. The only cos is the price of building it in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I've been on the set myself in RTE,they are actually recycled Glenroe sets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Don't know would I agree with that totally, the save a fortune by signing the cast up on short term contracts and then "resting" them for the vast amount of the year. The majority of the main roles only work 15 weeks a year. I know for a fact that one of the longest running members of staff earns less than 30K. I'd well imagine that the sponsorship of the show pays for the vast amount if not all of the costs. There's no real cost for RTE in having the set on site, sure the land would only go to waste otherwise. The only cos is the price of building it in the first place

That's what he means by letting it go. To allow the set go or to knock it down and come up with something new would cost RTE a fortune in the Short Term. Just in the same way it cost them millions to start the show orginally it now doesn't cost that much because of what you have said. According to RTE Fair City Breakseven for them.

Shouldn't this be in the Soap Opera Section.

I heard that actors on Fair City get 60K a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

:)
    is_that_so wrote:
    It's a set out in RTE. I have walked its streets :D Not sure if all of it happens there but most of it does.

A friend of mine works in RTE and the front of Bela's Bazaar is one side of the building she works in. :D It's kind of surreal being on the set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

What? its not a reality documentry drama...But the acting is so good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

The funniest thing I found about the set was, as I was walking through it, I noticed the bus stop was a 19/19a - "same as my own", I thought, so I rambled over to find, in giant letters blazed across it "I've been waiting here AGES". Furthermore, the timetable was really recent - only a month old! Very strange attention to detail from RTE there, it must be said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rutiru

how long after fairrcity is filmed do they show it on tv :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wait...... So my application to the housing authority to move to Carrickstown was the reason they were laughing at me that day. :mad:

My Mom said it was cause I was a funny guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

rutiru wrote: »
    how long after fairrcity is filmed do they show it on tv :)
    3 years, 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It's broadcast live. There's no rehearsal, the lines are fed to the actors via hidden earpieces.

Like "Anonymous", only funny.

3 years, 2 months.

Seriously it is about 1 to 2 months after recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Small scene filmed in my front room a couple of years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 holly2004

Hi

i would absolutely love to visit the set of fair city , i read here some of you did, can i ask how? i feel the only way is to apply to be an extra on the programme, i really would love to go and see it

can anyone advise me?
    Holly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

holly2004 wrote: »
    Hi

i would absolutely love to visit the set of fair city , i read here some of you did, can i ask how? i feel the only way is to apply to be an extra on the programme, i really would love to go and see it

can anyone advise me?
    Holly
    Know, or get to know, someone who works in RTÉ. You could also apply to be an extra although there is an indoor set and the outdoor set, which are on separate parts of the campus so depending on where you are cast, you may only see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I was on set just before Christmas time - anyone that's familiar with the last scene of 2 weeks notice where Hugh Grant says to Sandra Bullock that he can walk her apartment in 6 seconds would appreciate the size of the Fair City set - I was so disappointed with it (and I don't even watch the show) - I DID get my photo taken outside McCoys though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,325 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The outdoor set was originally one-sided i.e. it was only one side of the street and it faced the N11 so you could see the shopfronts from the top of a double-decker bus passing along the Stillorgan Road. Then they built the other side of the street so now all you can see from the N11 is the back of the newer side of the set.

All of the premises are obviously fake, the outdoor part of the garage where you see them working on cars is directly behind a solicitor's office. I've walked the set and couldn't resist checking out the phone kiosk, the phone was dead - no surprise there! I've never seen them record there, I think most of the action in the series is filmed indoors in studios and they probably do all of the outdoor scenes for a whole week or more in one go so they don't spend a huge amount of time on the outdoor set. This means that if there's a scene where someone comes out of the pub and onto the street, the two clips could have been made several days apart, the wardrobe department has the responsibility to make sure that people are wearing the same clothes in both clips i.e. to maintain continuity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ya Its all a big set same with Shameless, corrie eastenders all the soaps its cheaper to build a set as if you go to location you have to pay for a lot of extra production costs ( like out on locations they have to provide food for a 70 strong crew its a few euros that add up)

Sunday is checking camera positions with the director & read through of the script.
    Monday & Tuesday is on set indoors recording
    Wednesday outdoor recording
    Thursday is location recording thats if they have to go off set into the city.
    Then its edited together which takes about 3 days

They also shoot 6 weeks in advance.

This was talking to a long time director and the scary bit it loved working on it and thought it was a great tv show.. :(

Ya i got a tour of the set. i have no interest in the program but watchng them filming makes you realise all the hard work that goes in.
    The fronts of all the shops, pub etc. are outside in the open, but inside these shops and pubs is filimed inside a big kind of hall/warehouse.

i was in the sweet shop and ALL the food and drinks were real. Even the fruit pasteilles tasted the same :D

afatbollix wrote: »
    This was talking to a long time director and the scary bit it loved working on it and thought it was a great tv show.. :(

As I have found out with many shows just because I don't like it doesn't mean others don't think it is great. Why shouldn't someone love working at their job or think what they do is great. I would say that is difficult when so many criticize "Fairly ****ty". Even the Xposé girls love their job!

I am surprised shameless is done on an outdoor set, I guess it means Channel 4 aren't planning to cancel it anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elmo wrote: »
    Even the Xposé girls love their job!

And you know this how?

mikom wrote: »
    And you know this how?

OMFG did you like see Karen Koster at the like Xposé Live show, Wow I didn't think she would be at it. ;) <<< I wasn't actually at it but I am sure she was. People like the work, some of the time. Even with great criticism.

Here is a good scene from EastEnders for you Mikom :rolleyes:

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elmo wrote: »

Here is a good scene from EastEnders for you Mikom :rolleyes:

:eek:

You can keep your depression, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Ya i got a tour of the set. i have no interest in the program but watchng them filming makes you realise all the hard work that goes in.
    The fronts of all the shops, pub etc. are outside in the open, but inside these shops and pubs is filimed inside a big kind of hall/warehouse.

i was in the sweet shop and ALL the food and drinks were real. Even the fruit pasteilles tasted the same :D

Why go to a tour of the set if you don't even like the program? :confused:

I went on a tour of the set and it was the best day of my life. I loved every single second. Would absolutely love to go back and do it all over again (given the chance) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mikemac wrote: »
    Watching Fair City the other day and started wondering where it is filmed?

Are any of the pubs real businesses or just sets?

Just interested to know

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swknjnggf07d&lvl=19.152673750641582&dir=353.04741365978566&sty=u&FORM=LMLTCC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Where exactly is this outdoor set?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If you zoom out it shows you the close roads etc.

Advertisement