Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just FYI, Clermont team is as expected.
    http://www.asm-rugby.com/120427-compo.html

Bardy makes the bench

seriously what a feckin line up!:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

ssaye wrote: »
    Playing that Jennings Obrien combo, wonder was it a last minute change?

LEINSTER:
    15: Rob Kearney
    14: Isa Nacewa
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Isaac Boss
    1: Cian Healy
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Brad Thorn
    6: Sean O'Brien
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Sean Cronin
    17: Heinke van der Merwe
    18: Nathan White
    19: Devin Toner
    20: Kevin McLaughlin
    21: Eoin Reddan
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fergus McFadden

Wow-big call in the back row. McLaughlin unlucky to miss out. Not sure I get that selection to be honest-Jennings to speed the game up but Boss to slow it down?..Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Wow-big call in the back row. McLaughlin unlucky to miss out. Not sure I get that selection to be honest-Jennings to speed the game up but Boss to slow it down?..Hmmm

Obrien to ball carry 2011 style :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Very surprised to see Locky on the bench and not starting. If they picked Boss for the physical aspect, why not start Locky who's a far more abrassive back row option than Jennings who's fairly light but niggily? Unless there was a sort of injury?

Well, in Joe we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I am excited to see O'Brien back in the 6 shirt. While I think he's been doing a great job at 7, 6 is ultimately his best position.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Very surprised to see Locky on the bench and not starting. If they picked Boss for the physical aspect, why not start Locky who's a far more abrassive back row option than Jennings who's fairly light but niggily? Unless there was a sort of injury?

Well, in Joe we trust.

Amen :)

Well, in Joe we trust.

To compete against Lapandry and steal >50%, tight tight game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Well, in Joe we trust.

Jennings experience gets him the nod i reckon. Natural leaders in Cullen, Thorn, Jennings, Sexton and BOD through the team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Jennings was excellent v Munster, and as said above his leadership should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Jennings frees up SOB to run more ball. What Boss is very good at is getting our forwards on to the ball at pace to punch holes. I'd say we'll be attacking around the fringes.

I don't think Boss is slower per say, he just tends to use forward grunt more.

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Jennings experience gets him the nod i reckon. Natural leaders in Cullen, Thorn, Jennings, Sexton and BOD through the team

McLaughlin is a HC winning player with bags of experience, and has started many big games over Jennings. He's also highly regarded as a leader by the Leinster management. That's not the reason imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I am excited to see O'Brien back in the 6 shirt. While I think he's been doing a great job at 7, 6 is ultimately his best position.

True but we now have no real threat at the back of the line out? Bonnaire will have a field day. And SOB's ball carrying has not been great this season although it has shown signs of coming back to form. To be honest would have been happier if McLoughlin at 6 and SOB at 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think Boss and Jennings to get right up Parra's nose and spoil his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

True but we now have no real threat at the back of the line out? Bonnaire will have a field day. And SOB's ball carrying has not been great this season although it has shown signs of coming back to form. To be honest would have been happier if McLoughlin at 6 and SOB at 7.

Heaslip? He's made some good breaks off the tail.

Unfortunate for McLaughlin, im a huge admirer and his form is excellent. I just trust Joe has being working on exploiting Clermont very few weaknesses and we will have a lot of pick a go's and win the breakdown and scrum battles. Heaslip at the back of the line out should be able to compete and disrupt Bonnaire who admittely is a master at it. I think its about disrupting them, annoying Parra and taking a 1 point win and getting out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd say Skrela isn't too disappointed to be missing this...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Dont think its jennings over locky, rather obrien at 6 over obrien at 7

I'd say Skrela isn't too disappointed to be missing this...

:D

Perfect example Kudos - Jamie too at the back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Backrow selection and scrum half selection quite clearly complement each other.

Boss was absolutely the right call at 9. It would be the perfect environment for Reddan to have a shocker at 9.

Delighted for Jenno. Never thought he'd start.

Bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Leinster breakdown vs Clermont set piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think Joe has been reading The Mole :D
    "Yachvili and Harinordoquy dedicated their afternoon to the attention of their French team-mate Parra. When he went to put the ball into the scrum, Yachvili ‘clumsily’ stood on his toe or jogged his arm. When he stood in the scrum-half position at line-outs, Harinodoquy followed every tap through with a personal introduction. When Parra dive-passed to Brock James from the base of the scrum, he inevitably felt Yachvili land on his calves and legs, the despairing dive just too late to catch him in possession. When he put up box-kicks – and he did a lot on a windy afternoon – Yashvilli came around the front and Harinordoquy from the back of the line-out to once again greet Parra with a healthy thump of respect"
    Looks like it's not going to be a nice day for Morgan...

GerM wrote: »
    Leinster breakdown vs Clermont set piece.

Haiku Analysis - I like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kindve want to give Heaslip a load of abuse on Twitter, get him fired up...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Kindve want to give Heaslip a load of abuse on Twitter, get him fired up...

Do it! Just throw the sentence into google translate to get it into French but leave the bold words in English so he gets the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Interesting piece by Toland in the Munster Romanticisers Gazette today

"Where can Leinster damage Clermont? Few opportunities offer themselves but the big Georgian David Zirakashvili is one. His work-rate around the park is sensational, in the John Afoa tackle count range, and he’s impressive defensively in open play, as he showed against livewire Saracens hooker Schalk Brits.

Around the breakdown, just like Afoa, he does untold damage. He may not last 50 minutes but in that time his scrummaging can be exploited. He hits very square and powerfully but against Juan Figallo of Montpellier he was far too easily turned inside and popped up in the air. If that happens it’s down to English referee Wayne Barnes to interpret."

Didn't think he was a weak link at scrum time; anytime ive seen him hes a bit of a monster at set piece time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12610_7707602,00.html

Really cool insight into Clermont and local boy Aurelien Rougerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Boss favoured for Clermont clash
    12:40 Rugby: Reddan preferred at scrumhalf as McLaughlin makes way for Jennings in Leinster backrow

Well make your mind up there, Irish Times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Dont think its jennings over locky, rather obrien at 6 over obrien at 7

Spot on. Hopefully he can get a bit of a head of steam up and get a clear run at James. That clip of him demolishing Skrela only reminds me how seldom we've seen him at 6 recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I for one can't wait to see SOB back in his best position

He gets through work at 7 and has improved in his skills on the deck but 6 is his bread and butter

The man was designed for ball carrying.

I'm mystified about the Boss selection tbh. From what I've seen of him lately he's not even playing that well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I for one can't wait to see SOB back in his best position

He gets through work at 7 and has improved in his skills on the deck but 6 is his bread and butter

The man was designed for ball carrying.

I'm mystified about the Boss selection tbh. From what I've seen of him lately he's not even playing that well

Same as that chief. No clue what's behind it but a) Joe hasn't really steered us wrong before and b) he knows a fair bit about Clermont. So hopefully it pans out.

Advertisement