Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To wetsuit or not to wetsuit

Options
  • 20-08-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

Just looking for your opinions, I am doing a 10k swim this weekend and i have been training all along without a wetsuit as this was originally my intention. However the water temperature has dropped quite significantly in the last couple of weeks and i am now panicking that it will be too cold and I should wear one. I dont own a wetsuit. So I will be looking to borrow one. Should I just man up and deal with the cold r borrow an ill fitted wetsuit!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

10k in an ill fitted wetsuit will be a killer. plus you would be wise to get a rash vest.

Dont wear a wetsuit myself but wouldnt be doing your mileage anyway, but when I did wear one even for a short race (2k) I got tired quicker because it was too tight and my arms seemed more restricted. Have you been in the sea much for the training? or just pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Brunette101

All open water swimming, without a wetsuit. but its really cold the last two weeks, im dreading getting in. Thats the other thing, i have worn wetsuits for triathlons (all borrowed) but like you said, my arms felt like they had weights tied to them they felt that heavy and I got tired pretty quick too. I just assumed it was maybe they were a little on the small size.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Sleeveless wet suit would that help.
    There might be some on sale now best to get one fitted for you.

I've never tried one of those, would they give you alot of chaffing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I've worn a wetsuit for distance OW swimming (3-5k) since May. My neck now resembles alligator skin; its got used to the early season blisters and burns and cuts. And its a good, well fitted suit (tried on a few in an endless pool). A poor fitted suit when you're not used to a suit isn't a great idea for your 10k. Plus, it'll restrict your stroke and cause drag.

Is your 10k in Ireland (Lough Dan?). Water temperatures have fallen, but not by an awful lot (air temps have proportionally fallen more). You'll be fine!

• Advertisement

Thanks Kurt. Yeah in Ireland but Camlough! I am going wetsuitless. Mind made up! Cheers.

Thanks Kurt. Yeah in Ireland but Camlough! I am going wetsuitless. Mind made up! Cheers.

Best of luck! I'm doing lough dan 10k myself at the weekend, and like you I was concerned about falling temperatures. However, although it was cold before standing round, the sea temp last night wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd have expected. I'm sure the lakes will be fine too. Best of luck, come back and let us know how you got on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah last night was better in than out. Bloody freezing waiting around for over an hour for race to start. Just couldn't get going at all once the cold got in on me.

Edit: Goodluck Kurt on Saturday. Plus others.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Best of luck! I'm doing lough dan 10k myself at the weekend, and like you I was concerned about falling temperatures. However, although it was cold before standing round, the sea temp last night wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd have expected. I'm sure the lakes will be fine too. Best of luck, come back and let us know how you got on! :)

Ehhh.... is it too late to retract my "advice"? I hope for your sake Camlough was a lot warmer than Lough Dan today!;)

Was it really bad? How did it go? I have borrowed a suit, which iv never worn before. So whats worse?

• Advertisement

Was it really bad? How did it go? I have borrowed a suit, which iv never worn before. So whats worse?

It was cold, with a northerly breeze. I bailed after 3 (of 4) laps as I doubted I'd meet the cut-off time. If the water had been flat it would have been fine, you don't notice the cold once you're swimming (but chattering teeth after didn't stop for a while after!)

Swimming in a borrowed suit? Much worse:) My problem was I hadn't trained in fresh water so the legs were sinking. if you've done training in lakes without a suit, you'll be better prepared than I was- best of luck!

Ah im back to the start so. K I will bring the suit n see what's it like wen I get there. Fingers crossed there is little or no breeze! Was there many at it today?

Ah im back to the start so. K I will bring the suit n see what's it like wen I get there. Fingers crossed there is little or no breeze! Was there many at it today?

I wouldn't have posted but I thought your 10k was also today;)!

Ok to be honest I think wearing a borrowed suit for 10k may lead to injury, so is a bad idea. However you're balancing that with temperature- from what I could tell an awful lot dropped out of the 10k today in Lough Dan. The guy who won it is a great cold water swimmer, having a 'robust' physique. If you are still considering the suit, try it on now and see how it fits. You need to get your legs in, then roll down the suit inside out to the knees, and pull up the material by grabbing the inside folds. Repeat this a few times, all the while rolling down your thighs a little less, and pulling up each time, until its tight on your crotch. The worst thing about a wetsuit is being restricted on your shoulders, so you want to ensure as much material is pulled up to your shoulders as possible. Ditto the arms, inch them back from the wrist (its harder to do this inside out so grab the outside carefully). Once you have it on and zipped, see what the restriction is like on your shoulders when you make a swimming motion. If it restricts at all, imagine what 40 strokes per minute over 10k will feel like, and ditch the suit.

You say you think the wetsuit is restrictive because its small- maybe, but if you inch it up as I described it may be perfect. I'm an XL in most clothes, but my wetsuit is size M, for example.

Sorry u didn't get to finish.
    Another question tho, if u were to do it again tomorrow, would you wear a wetsuit?

Sorry u didn't get to finish.
    Another question tho, if u were to do it again tomorrow, would you wear a wetsuit?

No wetsuits allowed in Swim Ireland races! I usually do Triathlons, and most certainly if I was given the choice today I'd have gone in my suit (bear in mind I've had my suit professionally fitted). However its a totally different type of swimming- I prefer the Swim Ireland races (1.5k) without a suit, its much freer.

Hmm I got the suit n tried it on like u said n its still very restrictive.

Well I wore the wetsuit and finished. It wasn't as choppy as lough dan but I think a few men in skins pulled out. Happy out now. I just wanted to finish.

Well done to you! Great that the suit worked out for you:)

Advertisement